Minor/Repaint: The Best Deluxe Movie Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I had always been fine with the ROTF Bumblebee for my own collection. I did some minor work to make him more screen accurate back when he came out and he's been on my shelf ever since.
    Well, after doing my recent DOTM Bumblebee, several people mentioned that the Battle blade figure was the best deluxe mold. I checked into it, agreed that he has some nice features, got one, and gave him a heavy touch up job for better screen accuracy.

Is he really the best though? It is a matter of opinion I suppose, but I do see some pros and cons. Compared to the ROTF and DOTM figure Battle Blade is a bit too tall and kind of thin in the waist and neck area. Also his chest is a bit long...
    On the other hand, those arm weapons and face mask are great, and I really like how you don't see windshield parts on his inner legs and back of his waist.

I'll be sticking with DOTM BB.
    Oh, and hope ya like the work I did on these!

UPDATED: with new pics showing DOTM bee too.
    Second and third pics are Battle Blade. Last pic is DOTM.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think after mods and an awesome paint job he IS the best rotf bb. The dotm one is the same design with wierd execution (my opinion obviously). I think the paint job you've given him is a great one, and this figure is so much better after the mods savio prime did, and I always wondered if the designer of this particular figure want planning to go further with it, and his lead told him enough is enough, lol.

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice detail work!

I always thought it was a toss up between battle blades and 2007 premium Bee for best one. Battle blades has the better sculpt, but premium is over all actually closer to a screen accurate body (plus he's actually painted).

I ended up making a non transforming Battle blades that came a good deal closer to having a screen accurate body than he did out of the box. Still wasn't perfect though. I also never got around to painting him (which was another thing premium had going for him).

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    With savio-prime's mods, I think Battle Blade Bee is the best FIGURE. But I prefer DotM Bee because I find him easier to transform, has a better vehicle mode IMO, has the Mech Tech capability, is more solid of a toy, and doesn't give up very much in robot mode when compared to BBBB...

5. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I had to look up the Savioprime mod. From the look of it though, its almost closer to a rebuild than just mods. Transforms differently, has parts that come off easy all over, and 2 blasters. I think it all looks great but the main thing I liked was the little bits by his neck and how the thigh panels can rotate for a more accurate look. Personally I really like the axe and blaster better than 2 blasters. Although the axe would be cooler turned the other way, it has a blade edge on both sides so it works fine for me.

I don't think this should be compared to one that was practically rebuilt since mine is un-modded. I'm talking about the figures with some touch ups here.
    I'm going to redo the license plate though on mine, hah!

6. hthrun

Ebay:
    Yeah, I like having the axe too. My favorite mods were the shoulder ones, like you mention, and the wrists.
    There's a tutorial in the tutorial section about how to turn the axe around if you're interested...

Yeah, without the mods I lean even heavier towards DotM Bee...

7. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

You mean the Battle Blades Bee pictured here, or the actual DOTM figure?
    I'll try to find that tutorial because flipping that blade would be nice if it doesn't hurt it's ability to store away right.

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I like my Premium BB the best but also have my Battle Blades BB. I gave mine 2 canons and got rid the axe. I guess he's Double Canon BB now. He looks better.

9. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Matter of opinion there. I don't like the double blasters at all. Prefer the DOTM version arms or the blaster and axe combo.

I just went and got another DOTM bee and swapped the arms and head from Battle Blade BB onto it. Worked out great for bot mode, but it turns out there are good reasons for the thinner waist and tallness of the battle Blades figure. The bigger arms and head made it impossible to transform to car mode. :( 

Now I'm wondering if the face mask and arm weapons are worth the tall, thin look of Battle Blades BB. I might actually like the DOTM figure more still.
    Another tough call there...

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    The actual DotM figure. His transformation is almost as involved but easier to do and he just feels more solid.
    Here's the tutorial: Fixing HftD Battle Blade Bumblebee's Axe

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I think each of the BB molds has its pros and cons. Its tough to really say which is best.
    Battle Blades is on the old Ebay now.

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

do a DOTM verison

13. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I did. He was posted here at TFW about 2 weeks ago.
    I'm finishing up another one now though.

14. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Sorry to bump my crap here. I do feel some shame!
    I updated the OP with a shot of ROTF, DOTM, and Battle Blade together.
    I decided I like the DOTM fig best personally.

15. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The paint you added to Sumo Bee (DOTM) helps quite a bit. Nice!

But I still don't get all the love around here for Sumo Bee.

What kinds of paint are you using for the metallic parts you've added to these figures? It looks great on all three of them.

16. Will Trans

Will Trans Well-Known Member

I like the DOTM mold the best as well. While the figure doesn't have all the cool action gimmicks built into the mold like the arm canon or the blades, the mold is pretty darn accurate within the confines of a deluxe figure, it has a great and compact vehicle mode where it doesn't have much robot parts hanging out, and it's just a purely fun toy to play and transform.

While I would have liked a more detailed set of paint apps for both modes, having such a "blank slate" of a mold is great too since you can customize the figure more easily and just the way you want it.

17. Meggamus

Meggamus I want FOC figures!!

ROTF FTW :thumb 

all good though

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Well the reason I like the DOTM fig best is that it takes a lot of the cool things about Battle Blades Bee (arguably the best until DOTM) and corrects almost all of its flaws. Those flaws being: too tall, too thin, less accurate thigh panel positions, long neck, long chest.
    You don't get the cool gimmicks, but then the Battle blade arm gimmicks come with the price of big forearms when weapons are stored. I just wish the DOTM figs battle mask came down.
    On the ROTF and previous figs, I dont like the obvious window kibble, car roof on his arms, and tiny shoulder pieces that love to fall off.

Funny thing is, BB isn't one of my favorite characters at all. He is certainly a very important one to have though, and important to have him looking close to right.
    Yeah, I'm a huge nerd collector too and put way too much thought into this.

19. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Personally I like the premium series tftm deluxe bb. But ur customize nice too

20. mikecustoms

mikecustoms New Member

DOTM Bee + BB Bee's head + ROTF Bee's arm cannon = best bee ever, just a few mods to chest area for the bigger head to fit, a peg glued to the cannon so that it fits in the mech-tech ports and thats it