The Best Comics of 2008

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    The Unofficial TFW2005 4th Annual Best Comics of 2008!

The Rules:
    1. Voting will run from January 25th, 2009 to Feburary 1st, 2009.
    2. Please select up to 5 story arcs, mini-series or single issues/one shots that were released in 2008 - If you can't that's cool, try to list your top 3, if not whatever you can.
    3. When voting, remember that the story must have concluded during 2008 - Why? Because the story might start off strong and then go downhill in the last issue.
    4. Please include the title of the story arc.
    5. If you change your mind (after rereading the stories or someone mentions one you've forgotten about), please repost your top story arcs. If you post multiple times, I will only count the last one.
    6. Once the voting period ends, the most popular arcs will be awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

If you're having trouble remembering what stories came out in 2008, check out the Preview Archive and be sure to read the notes at the top about the links.

---
    2007 Results Winner - DC Comics: Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War
    2006 Results Winner - Marvel Comics: Marvel Zombies
    2005 Results Winner - DC Comics: Green Lantern: Rebirth

2. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    For now, these are my votes!

Dark Horse: Buffy The Vampire Slayer Volume 2 (Season 8): Wolves At The Gate
    DC Comics: Action Comics: Brainiac
    DC Comics: All Star Superman #12
    DC Comics: Justice Society Of America Volume 3: Thy Kingdom Come
    DC Comics: Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I assume you don't mean comics but rather comic stories then? That's to bad because I think there are just a few plain good books out there. Amazing Spiderman for instance. Not for the quality all the time but the positive readings it's getting after the shame they made it. Also, it has been done very well, on time and flows nice from one issue to the next even with writer changes.

So 5 stories... I'll have to get back.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Jeez, I'm trying to remember five stories from last year.

Right now I'm gonna say

Green Lantern: Secret Origin. A great retelling of Hal's origin minus all the stupid DUI crap.
    Final Crisis One-Shot: Rage of the Red Lanterns

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Me too...

I read so much, its hard to keep it all straight

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Action Comics: Brainiac
    No story arc all year matched the emotion of this one from Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. Superman has never been better.

Green Lantern: Secret Origin
    A semi-retelling of Hal Jordan's first days as Green Lantern that plants all the seeds for the next year's epic stories.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer #20: After These Messages... We'll Be Right Back!
    I've loved Season 8, but for this one issue, we drop all of the weight of what has happened since the final episode of the series and return to where it all began... for a little while. It was good to go home again.

Justice Society of America: Thy Kingdom Come
    Superman from Earth-22 arrives only to find things are starting to go down some very familiar roads. The last pages of this series alone were worth the price of admission.

Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    There's a lot of highly anticipated stuff going down in the Green Lantern universe this year and this issue is the official starting gun.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns one shot eligible for this? It was released in 2008, but was the start of a story that won't be over until next month or later (probably later...).

Anyway, this is a bit of a tough one for me, as the only two monthly titles I read are GL and GLC. Beyond the incessant delays, I thought GL was really weak this year, with the dragged out and boring Secret Origin arc consuming most of the issues that were actually released. GLC had some good stories, but nothing that blew me away like Sinestro Corps War. Given that, my votes:

(1) Y: The Last Man - Including the whole series as one long 'story', since it wrapped up at the beginning of 2008. Though I thought the ending was a bit weak, this title had an excellent story, very compelling characters and a setting that felt realistic...even with the 'post-apocalyptic' backdrop. Definitely a series not to be missed.
    (2) Green Lantern Corps - Ring Quest - Issues 20, 23, 24, 25 and 26, IIRC. A neat tale that followed up on some hanging plot threads from SCW, made Mongul II a more serious threat still provided some excellent character moments, even with the massive cast. Gleason's art also fits the series perfectly. The flow was hurt a bit by the two-issue interruption, but the story was fun and exactly what I've come to expect from this title.
    (3) Green Lantern - Birth of the Alpha Lanterns - Issues 26, 27 and 28. A decent story that introduces a new element to the Green Lantern Corps, as well as bringing in the first Red Lantern to be shown in-costume on panel. It's not a great story, but I wanted to nominate something from Green Lantern; since the title only managed to get through two story arcs this year, and I didn't like Secret Origin, this was it by default.
    (4) Transformers - Devastation - Wanted to nominate something Transformers-related and I haven't gotten around to reading Revelation (the trade isn't out yet), so Devastation gets the nod.

That's it for right now. If FC: RotRL is eligible, that'll probably be my #2 pick and bump everything else down a spot. I'll repost once that's cleared up.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  8. Wreckgar

I love how no one has picked a single Marvel book yet. I'll have to fix that.

Punisher MAX: Valley Forge - Great ending to Ennis on Punisher. To bad they didn't end the book there. It would have been a fitting conclusion to a book he not only owned for the last 8 years but also was a great story.

JSA: Thy Kingdom Come - As said already, great story with Kingdom Come coming back.

Detective Comics: Heart of Hush - Paul Dini does his Batman TAS magic in a multi-issue story. Finally making Hush a cool villain again. And though it had the R.I.P. logo, it didn't actually get involved with that Morrison crap.

Thunderbolts: Caged Angels - Ellis writing T-Bolts was great because he actually knows how to write friggin psychos running around. You have a few sane heroes like Songbird and Radioactive Man but throw in power hungry therapist (Moonstone), a guy wearing an Iron maiden suit (Penance), a symbiote that actually does eat people (Venom), a morbidly obsessive brother of a dead woman (Swordsman), someone who kills for fun (Bullseye), and of course Norman Osborn in full Goblin attire and simmer for 6 issues. Norman even utters one of the best line "Nature's little joke, giving a woman the power of not being able to shut the hell up."

As for a 5th, no idea.

9. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Final Crisis: Rouges Revenge: The Rouges return to form and get payback on Inertia, and the hints toward Flash: Rebirth are laid.

Legion of 3 Worlds: Finally! A Legion smackdown with 3 different Legion eras teaming up against Superboy Prime and the Legion of Supervillains!

Green Lantern: Just the whole buildup towards Blackest Night, starting with Secret Origins

The Death of Captain America arc: The title still goes strong, even with the death of Steve Rogers, with central focus now on the new Cap, Bucky.

10. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Let's go with yes.

11. Wreckgar

It would be nice if they finished the Legion story. It's been forever since issue 2 came out. And Death of Cap was the immediate issues after the death which started in April 2007. But the followup stories went until Nov 08 if you mean those.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My updated list:

(1) Y: The Last Man (series)
    (2) Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns (one-shot)
    (3) Green Lantern Corps - Ring Quest (story arc)
    (4) Green Lantern - Birth of the Alpha Lanterns (story arc)
    (5) Transformers: Devastation (mini-series)

13. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Batman Heart of Hush. Paul Dini's writing is amazing.

14. Lord T

Lord T Golden

News Credits:
    Got to add the first arc of the new Invincible Iron Man, The Five Nightmares.

15. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Green Lantern: Secret Origin (i hate recons but this was nice. Emerald Dawn 1&2 do hold a nice place in my heart for excellence in comics)
    Final Crisis One-Shot: Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest
    Secret Invasion (only thing outa marvel I liked last year)

16. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Finally got around to adding up the votes.

Looks like it was another DC year... and the winner is... Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns (One Shot) with 5 votes.

Tied for 2nd place with 3 votes was Green Lantern Volume 4: Secret Origin and Justice Society Of America Volume 3: Thy Kingdom Come.

3 way tied for 3rd place with 2 votes each was Action Comics: Brainiac, Detective Comics: Heart of Hush and Green Lantern Corps Volume 2: Ring Quest.

3 out of 4 times we've done this.... a GL story has come out on top. (2007 was Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War and 2005 was Green Lantern: Rebirth)

17. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry I missed the voting. I LOVE all the Green Lantern books, but I read the two Thunderbolts trades with Osborn in charge and they were awesome. If you haven't read them, you should.

X-Force Angels and Demons was fun as well.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I will bet money when this is done next year, GL will be on top again. Blackest Night will end in 2009... right?