Minor/Repaint: The Best Barricade?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

UPDATED: with a new pic with both transformed more correctly, and with the thigh parts back on DOTM Barri so you can better tell which looks best as they are meant to look.

So here are both Deluxe Barricade molds in robot mode side by side. I did a good bit of extra detail painting and filling inaccurate colored parts in with the right colors on both.
    I hope you guys like em!

I'm really torn as to which of these I like better!
    To be honest, neither are great representations of the on-screen character, but which is closest and coolest looking too?

The newer DOTM figure has a generally better upper half IMO. The arms aren't just the sides of the car so much as the 07 tawy. They split up a good bit more and have actual poseable hands. Also, his head is on a ball joint, while 07 Barricade's head is just stuck in place.
    Still, the DOTM figure has those thinner legs and his smaller size makes him look like a pansy next to his movie rival, Bumbleballs.
    Which is the best Deluxe Barricade? I have too much else to think about and this is one of those weird things that's bugging me, lol.
    My pregnant wife is being induced to have our new baby girl in a couple of hours (at 5am!) so I won't be back on for at least a day.
    Obviously, I can't sleep, hah!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I love both, but my fave is clearly the DOTM mold!

love your paintapps!

3. Trikeboy

Trikeboy Well-Known Member

Both look great. Best of luck to you and especially your wife.

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Yank '07 Barricade's head piece up to rest on the (now slid in more) hood!

almost nobody does this, and it's vital to the look of him...

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Dotmblows the other away.

6. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Oh wow I have messed with his head in hopes of finding a way to make it look better for literally years and didn't know that! Gah, don't I feel dumb.
    It wasnt easy to get it to do that though.

New pic with 07 Barricade as he was probably meant to look. Makes the decision easier for me personally. I'm definitely leaning toward 07 as the better Barricade now. Thanks!

And the wife is pulling me to go so I'm out to have another kid now!

Attached Files:

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    dotm by far looks the best

i am just, like you, disappointed at how short he stacks up next to bumblebee

8. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

I like the 07 barricade, the head just looks much better, and its bigger too.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Wow.... I am glad you posted this! I had read that the '07 version was the better of the two, and thus had skipped the DOTM version, but that clearly isn't the case. Aside from being a touch smaller, the new version looks a lot better. Better proportions, more defined body shapes, less clumsy kibble.... now I'm gonna have to track one down! Of course, now that they've all disappeared from shelves.... :p 

On a completely different note, congrats on the baby girl! :) 

10. Kenjo_Cybertron

Kenjo_Cybertron Stalk him, tear him apart

screw the transformers all the best to you and yours!
    hope you guys have a safe birth and a healthy bubba!

11. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks so much for the opinions. They are varied (both here and at Deviantart) to the point that I'm still not sure which would generally be considered best. I think they'd be a tie, but that tie is broken to me by 07 being bigger and in scale with BB.
    Glad nobody hates the touch ups I did too.

I'm home to go to bed for a few hours while lord wifeo is sleeping. Talia Rayne was born at 11... something AM. I'm too tired to remember things.
    I tell ya she blew that baby right out in under 5 hours!

Hah, sorry for the off topic info.
    Thanks for the kind wishes.
    Sleepy time...

12. Ellamin

News Credits:
    you should add silver to the 07's face.

13. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If only their scales weren't so drastically different... I'd say mix/match parts between them.

TBH, the diminutive size of the DOTM Barricade is a joke. That said, the top half of his body does look better than the Movie Barricade... but those legs are so tiny and lanky...

14. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

is no Barricade *tadating*
    sorry couldn't resist

Great work on the paint, would be really epic to take the more detailed parts off the DOTM figure and planet them on the 07' figure to get the uber figure (you know fitting won't mess up transformations)

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

DOTM is the better toy, but I can't get over how much smaller he is. That's the element that kills him for me. Even the skinnier legs aren't that bad--I just hate how tiny they made him overall. Almost wish for an oversized KO or something--even if it has gaudy colors! (I'd just paint him :D  )

16. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Seems DOTM is most liked, but keep in mind guys, I did remove the thigh parts on the DOTM toy to make his legs look less chickentastic. Having to remove parts to make a figure look okay has to take points from him, just like his smaller size.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nce paint apps, especially TFTM Barry's silver hands to make them stand out better against all that unpainted black.

I have the Robot Replicas version, TFTM Premium Deluxe, DOTM Deluxe, and ROTF Human Alliance. Robot Replicas is trash for the most part; only saving grace is the wheel mace weapon which I repurposed for my other Barricades. HA Barry is the best for articulation and accuracy, but that goes without saying. Of the Deluxes, I personally prefer the DOTM version for the better arms and poseability, and mistranforming him slightly gives you this badass:

[​IMG]

But the TFTM figure does have more movie accuracy going for him. They each have their faults though.

I think the most accurate by far is probably's Solrac333's version of him here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/467250-premium-barricade-new-head.html

DOTM Barry's head stuck on top of TFTM Barry's body, and voila! Still, he's not 100% accurate (particularly the doors; the "police" markings should be flipped 180 degrees like on DOTM Barry's doors). And while the legs on TFTM Barry are better, the arms kinda tick me off with how blocky and limited they are articulation-wise.

Oh, and gratz on the new bundle of joy!

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Nice! I might hafta use that transformation for a repaint/headswap since it reminds me of another character. Maybe mini alternators Grimlock, haha!
    I saw Solrac's recently. I think that's what made me dig out both figures and start thinking about which was better, as well as doing some touch ups on them. Didn't he say 07 Barricade wouldn't transform with the DOTM head on it? If so, maybe there is a work around for that...

19. Ellamin

News Credits:
    Also, DOTM barricade's gray neck hinge can add articulation if you snip the tabs near the ends off.

20. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: