The Beginning

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    How do you prefer a Transformers series to begin? Assuming it's a new universe, so the characters need to be introduced.

Do you go for the slow boil approach, a la the Movie and TF Armada, where you start with the humans and only hint at the TFs / show them fleetingly until the big reveal (Blackout's attack and Bumblebee with the Bat--- er, Autobot signal, "Stand down Megatron!" in Armada etc)

Do you prefer to start with the action on Cybertron, in the style of G1 and Cybertron - showing the Transformers in their "natural" environment and what leads up to their decision to make for the Earth.

Or do you prefer leaping right into the middle of the action with no explanation of who these guys are and then explain it after the first big action scene, either by exposition or flashback (Beast Wars fits this one, kicking off with the shootout of the Axalon and the Predacon ship)

My own personal preference hovers between either of the first two. The slow build sets up expectation for a nice payoff, while showing Cybertron generally gets right to what people want to see, the robots. The danger of going to Cybertron though is a major slowdown / hit when the transition to Earth actually occurs, since for it to work there needs to be some sort of "adjustment" scene. This can hurt the story flow slightly. If you kick off on Earth right away, you get round that by writing it all off as "this happened before you came in". Of course, then you need a flashback if you want to see Cybertron...

Just curious to see what everyone thinks, I've got a couple of ideas and I'm debating which to run with as the lead in. Either way you'll see Cybertron in this little fan-creation, it's just a matter of how you see it.

2. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Cybertron RULES!!!!

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'll tell you how they shouldn't start:

"Hi, my name is Rad, and I want to tell you about the Transformers!"

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I want to see a transformer series start off in COMPLETE peace time. I want to see how transformer society is without war. I want to see what the hell their homes look like, what they do for recreation, and how they interact without having to have an epic battle on their minds. it'd really help us see that these are living beings, with lives outside a war. let us see the opening shot of the war. let us see the very beginning of the decepticons, or the society that is responsible for creating them (megatron origin does this great, but we see nothing of normal cybertronian society).

throwing us right into the war disconnects us from the real depth of the characters. if you meet someone as a soldier, you'll always remember them for that, there's no getting around it. let us connect with the transformers' real selves outside of battle for once.

5. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I'll second this ^_^

We've only had bits and pieces thrown at us about how the Transformers society was before wartime. I'd love for them to start out in peacetime then lead up to the wartime. I could honestly care less about human interaction. For me it's all about the bots.

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I'll third it! I would LOVE to see a TF show like that. (Comics gave us War Within ans Megatron Origin, but I think this aproach has barely scratched the surface, I want more of it, lots more! Maybe that's why most of my fanfic ideas lean in that direction).

7. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

i'll fourth it! it would be interesting to see the turmoil brew betweent the factions, it would be so epic!

8. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It'd be awesome to see, though I think it'd be better to see it in flashbacks. You need to start with some sort of hook to catch people's attention, in my opinion.

Though I agree, Cybertron's early history is something that would be cool.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Definitely not like Armada. Too choppy with many loop holes.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I prefer them to open with some kind of title sequence, preferably with a catchy theme song like G1 or Beast Wars.

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    ^ win.

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    reminds me of that g1 episode where the aerialbots time travel back to the golden age of cybertron just before orion pax gets reformatted to prime and megatron launches his first assault.

In other words, one shot episode time travel is a fun alternative to flashbacking cybertron.

13. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I agree that showing the beggining of the war would be the best beginning of a Tf series.

14. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While starting a series at the beginning/pre war would be great to see, I don't think I see it being very marketable for kids. "Hey kids, buy Prowl! he's a merchant-bot in a cybertronian market!" "Now available! Database encoder Optimus Prime! No time to fight Decepticons when there's numbers to be calculated!"

However. I think they COULD start a first episode during peace times, and show Megatron's first strike against an Autobot/Cybertronian settlement. Show a few characters being killed/escaping the carnage and then throughout the first few episodes have flashback sequences to bots and how they ended up with Prime/on earth and their previous lives back on Cybertron.

15. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes that's my concern too. You need some sort of hook to grab attention at the beginning, and generally skipping straight to the war works. Of course, you could start it with security agents Prowl and Nightbeat trying to find out the truth about the mysterious "Decepticon" organisation, but I digress.

The flashbacks idea is a good one. You show the crew on the Ark in episode 1, then you show how they all came to the Ark. Good for character development as well as for building the story (since you can also set up rivalries and foreshadow later additions to the cast).
    I like that idea a lot. I think I might be adding that to my little project. Thanks!

16. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Ok, so get the battle going first off, to get the hook on the kids. Then in a brilliant stroke for the rest of us, webisodes! Battlestar Galactica did a pretty good job, and that way the tv show can focus on the major plot lines, and the online stuff can explore whatever to it's hearts content. best of both worlds.
    Not that I have a prayer on this happening, but I think that marketing will only accept whatever format can get eyeballs fast and keep them. So any form of peacetime at the start ain't gonna make it.