The Beast Wars TV show and upgraded characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Does anyone remember if Hasbro/Kenner worked with Mainframe to decide which characters needed upgrades for story reasons or did Hasbro just put out a number of toys without much consideration for the TV show and Mainframe just reacted to what new toys were released and just upgraded characters that got new toys that they thought should be upgraded in the show. Remember that Rhinox and Waspinator didn't upgrade to their Transmetal bodies (and yes, I do know it was expensive for them to keep producing new models so that was probably for financial reasons rather than story reasons).

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I imagine there was talk between the two groups to organize what was to be done, but I also imagine it was more Hasbro telling Mainframe what toys they wanted to push, and thus, which characters would be getting introduced or upgraded. There may have been some negotiation in terms of costs/characters who weren't as essential (see: Tigertron), but I imagine it was pretty one-sided, with Mainframe setting constraints based on cost and Hasbro telling them what they were going to do with the show.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

obviously there was some collaboration - in the case of Beastwars the catroon was to promote the toyline so i'd speculate the toys themselves (or at least a handful of prototypes) came first.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Considering how many figures never made it into the show I'm sure Hasbro didn't push too hard since Mainframe would've made them aware (probably from the very start) that new CGI models were costly to produce. Come season two Hasbro would know who the main characters are anyway and that's probably why we didn't get Transmetals of a load of figures that never appeared in the show. I imagine TM Rhinox, Waspinator and Airrazor etc slipped through the cracks due to the CGI model costs, but by now kids would know the characters from the show and recognise the names on toyshelves and buy them anyway.
    There were a lot of new characters introduced in season two anyway so I'm surprised we got that many new bodies for established characters anyway. The whole thing was probably a nightmare budget balancing act.