2D Artwork: The Battlestars Zone [ Inks ]

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Quintesson #1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Here be the inks of a rather old piece of battlescene piece of mine. Started on the inks over a year ago and figured I should finally finish it. :) 

Apart from Omega, the characters are from the Victory, Zone and Battlestars series.

Characters involved are:

Metrotitan
    Skystalker's shuttle
    Grandus (feet-o'-doom)
    Dai Atlas
    Road Fire
    Speeder
    Metrotank
    Metrodash
    Sonic Bomber
    Drillbuster
    Super Megatron
    Spinner
    Sonic
    Omega Supreme

C&C appreciated!

Battlestar Zone Inks

Attached Files:

2. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Man, that's some great work; you never cease to disappoint! :thumb 

4. Quintesson #1

"Never cease to disappoint?" o_O '

Guess I'll have to try harder next time then. ;P

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    LOVE it, Battlestars is pretty much my favorite part of G1, and your line work is really wonderful!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of DaiAtlas using his drill-bit as a hand-weapon! Sweet concept!

I wish Star Convoy was there though, or barring him, seeing Evil-G1-Prime standing by Meg's Side would have been sweet!

I'm a little confused by by the battle lines, however. Is it just a crazy melee, with everyone everywhere? Did Megatron pull off a pincer-move? I'm just trying to figure out how DaiAtlas got stuck BETWEEN SuperMeg's and MetroTitan...talk about a rock and a hard place!

I love that we can only see a sliver of Grandus's cannon-toes, but again, I'm a little unsure what direction he's firing in....It looks like he's shooting AT the (presumably human) city????

D/L

6. Quintesson #1

Well the idea I had with this image was that Metrotitan and Megsy were attacking Omega Supreme and Big Powered, Grandus and their Micromasters came to intervene and protect Omega. :)  Grandus pretty much just knocked Metrotitan over with a blast.

Btw, if you love Battlestars, you should check out my deviantart gallery. ;P

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The city bots are awesome, such a great idea to have only hints of who/where they are.

The problem I see with this picture is Megatron and the Powermasters. Their fight is at the 1st plane, but there's almost no perspective distortion on it so it kills the dynamics of the scene. I miss some more interaction from Sonicbomber and Roadfire.

Here's what I mean, I hope you don't mind me scribbling over your piece :D 

Attached Files:

8. Quintesson #1

On the contrary Mako! Think it's the best crit I've had in over a year! :D  Thanks a lot! You may always draw over my images for corrections, best teaching aid there is and requires less words! So please do! :) 

I considered redrawing Roadfire yesterday (idea was to connect the foreground with the events in the background), but he came out quite static and possibly comes over even a little 'uncaring with the events in the foreground' due to that. :/ Didn't since it was 1 AM and almost braindead, plus I just wanted it done before the weekend (too busy to draw coming period). Bad excuse, I know, I should have just postponed finishing it. :p 

Have struggled a lot with Sonic Bombers pose, certainly back when I first drew it back in... holy cow april 2008, I'm getting old! D: Here's how the original arm position was, changed that yesterday as that was even worse than this: utterly static, utterly crap... The Battlestar Zone by ~hansime on deviantART Only changed it at the last minute, considered redoing it entirely as well, but... same bad excuse applies. :/

Anyway, really liking the poses you suggest. :)  Only thing is Dai Atlas looks less confident and more "roadkill" with his hand like that, on the other hand (excuse the pun), it's more dramatic in that cliffhanger way. With megatron the pose changes his 'air' as well to a bit more cocky arrogance and by making him a bit taller and the additional foreshortening would also make him more menacing. :) 

You can imagine it's a bit late (and much work) for me to redo those changes in this piece though, but it's a very valuable aid for future reference and I'll most definitely try to work on that!

Thanks again and hope you'll have similar crits to share in the future!

9. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Oh yeah, I can tell that was your intention with Megs. The way it is, you could paint it and it would look like one of those back boxarts :D  I suggested that pose for Atlas because by that angle, the blast would open a hole in him, almost hitting Roadfire as well, but then there's good ol' Sonicbomber backing up Atlas to give Megs a hard time.

Since I'm pretty much retired, all I can do is to drop by and disturb you guys some :D