The battle of Savannah. A zombie war diary.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vector Squidma, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    Being at an art school has it's ups and downs. For one thing, you have to pay upwards of $70 for a textbook on american poetry. On the other hand, you have awesome events like The Battle of Forsythe, the Sand Arts Festival, and...oh yeah...
    HUMANS VS ZOMBIES

The single most awesomely kickass game of tag/larp/nerf war EVER. This is the second year the game has been hosted, so the moderators have had time to refine on the rules of last year's game.

So it works like this. A bunch of people sign up, and are given a code card. One person starts as a zombie. If a zombie tags you, you must give them your code card, and after they enter it on the website, you become a zombie. A zombie tags a human by touching them with both hands. Now the humans are far from helpless though. A nerf gun is required to play. If a human shoots a zombie with a nerf dart, the zombie is stunned for 15 minutes. If a zombie does not get a kill one every 48 hours, they starve out.

That's pretty much it. The game lasts from 5AM tomorrow to the final stand on Wednesday night. So every day I will post a diary of my exploits that day that recaps any interesting events.

Oh and my gun? A heavily modified Nerf Vulcan machine gun with sawed off barrel, added ammo boxes, a 50 round ammo belt, and a sweet green paint job. I call it the Kraken.

Oh, and a video for your perusal.

YouTube - SCAD HvZ Promo
    Featuring footage from last year's game.

2. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

sounds cool

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, I totally woulda went to college if they had things like that near me.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Damn sounds like fun but ill i got is a single shot nerf gun with 6 shot clip id seriously need to gun up or id be zombie chow.

5. Vector Squidma

News Credits:
    2:32 PM 3/27/2010. 16 People Infected, 448 Human. Status: Human.

Setting out on patrol soon. Because I live in a dorm where I have to do all my own cooking the number of time's I have to go out of my room to do something are greatly reduced. I could just stay in my room all day and try to outlast the infection.

But wheres the fun in that?

So I'm taking it as my mission to be a guardian of Boundary Village. I will be heading out on patrols 3 times a day, where I will comb the halls and let everyone know that the zombies will never gain a foothold here.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So does a zombie have to let you know they're a zombie with makeup or how they act or something? Do the zombies just go around a grab anyone whether the victim is in the game or not? EDIT: NM, I watched the vid. It's pretty obvious.

It actually sounds kinda fun, if you could get everyone on campus involved.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

Sounds like a hell of a good time, I would love to get in on something like that if it ever happened round here. I'd probably spend all the time leaning out of a window taking potshots though.

Good luck with staying human.

Any chance of a pic of this beast? Either here or in the Nerf thread in the Toyark?

8. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

^This! Post pictures please :D 

This is a very awesome idea. What college is this?

9. Vector Squidma

News Credits:
    This is occuring at the Savannah College of Art and Design in Savannah Georgia.

And to answer the question about how you can tell a zombie from a human, it's simple. At the beginning of the game everyone is given a bandana. If you are a human, you wear it on you arm. If you are a zombie, you wear it on your forehead. If you are tagged by a zombie while human or shot by a human while you are a zombie, you must wear it around your neck until you respawn.

Oh, and some pictures of my gun. She aint pretty, but she gets the job done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An initial patrol of Boundary Village indicates no infected activity. I hope to keep it that way.

10. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

I like the taped on box so you don't have to worry about dropping the empty belt when it's gone through the gun, nice idea.

11. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sounds like a lot of fun, will have to keep checking in on this thread.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Man, if I was involved in something like this I'd be armed to the freakin teeth.

Speaking of which, you should totally try to add some teeth and maybe some eyes to that gun of yours and turn it into an actual "Beast". Sort of how they have the mouths around the cannon of A-10 Thunderbolts.

13. Vector Squidma

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I just need to find a way to work around the tape (the spray paint likes to flake off the duct tape).

14. Vector Squidma

News Credits:
    9:23 PM 3/26/2010. 421 Humans. 42 Zombies. Status: Human.

Well we had our first mission tonight, and I am sorry to say that it was a bit anticlimactic.

Well let me give some strategy first. Humans, if they are smart, should be defensive, because if they get tagged once, they're a zombie, no going back. However, if a human confronts a zombie one on one, it pays for them to be agressive, because if a human shoots a zombie that stuns them for 15 minutes and forces them to leave the area. Only when humans get way outnumbered should they run.

However, this year there's been a new addition to the game that throws a wrench into that strategy, the Witch. The witch is an evolved form of the original zombie. Once they get 15 kills, they become the witch. The witch CANNOT BE STUNNED, but after making a kill must wait one hour before making another. This means that its WAY harder for a human to just walk around alone this year, since while a single zombie is no big deal, running into the witch is pretty much instant death.

So anyways, the mission. We got the e-mail at 8pm. It told us that there were several people in a field behind one of the dorms and they needed to be rescued and returned to a safe zone. Thing is, I along with several other people were in the dorm farthest away from the field for a dungeons and dragons game. So we all loaded up and charged over to behind the local bookstore to meet up with others, until around 30 people were all armed and ready. We all began walking down towards the field, feeling like complete badasses, only for us to get about halfway there and have a moderator emerge to tell us the mission was already over. So yeah. I'm sorry there wasn't anything more exciting, but as the old saying goes, war is long stretches of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

And the terror will be coming shortly. (Hopefully).

I mean normally I would patrol around a bit more, but I had to get back to my Dungeons and Dragons game.

15. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

That's it, I'm relinquishing my Auburn football scholarship.

Though I'd probably get pwned on the first day.

16. Vector Squidma

News Credits:
    11:37 AM. 3/27/2010. 411 Humans, 52 Zombies. Status: Human.

Things are getting confusing FAST. I've just received an e-mail from the Pantheon Intelligence Network (a student run intelligence gathering operation) that the e-mails being sent out about missions are TRAPS. Yes, every mission I will receive from here on out is actually a zombie trap. This was confirmed by the reward the humans received by winning the mission last night. The reward was a single sentence message; "The humans cannot trust ANMRI (ANMRI, in the game's backstory is the AI controlling the zombies. Missions thus far have been sent out by ANMRI's programmer). If the humans wish to survive, they must find their own salvation."

I gotta admit, I'm getting creeped out fast. The patrol plan has been cancelled, as I'll only be giving the zombies more opportunities to attack me. I'm only going to leave the room for academic reasons and missions. I want to live.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...This sounds like SO much fun...!

18. Autobot-Girl

Autobot-Girl is possibly insane

Is this thing for students only? 'Cause it sounds so awesome! I would love to take part in this!

19. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

Damn, this thing has been put together well by the sounds of this.
    My strategy would be canned food and a locked door. Do your schoolwork via email.

20. cybertron2006

cybertron2006 Fly By Clockwork Pictures

Meh, looks like you're fucked unless you get some reinforcements FAST.

I'll get some of my friends and we'll meet you in Savannah.

Actually we can't. Sorry.