The Battle Beasts Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by trebleshot, Apr 11, 2012.

1. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About time they came back.

2. GAUGE

GAUGE No Time Fo JibbaJabba

News Credits:
    none of the new ones have rubsigns like the old ones though. also, these are going to be more like Kubrick type of figures. I don't believe they come Pre-Assembled, you have to put them together yourself. :) 

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you're thinking of the Minimates. Thats an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT US based Battle Beast revival.

There are honestly 2 completely seperate ones.

THESE are assembled toys with a dice based game by Takara and are (thus far) only coming out in Japan.

-ZacWilliam, these look a lot better and a lot more Battle Beast like than the US Minimates ones. IMO. Guido Guidi helped design these Japanese ones.

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's already a thread for this, but I thought they were cool until I realized you put the dice inside their chest cavity.. I thought they were flip symbols like Bot Shots until I looked close...

5. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Yeah, the BBTS listings seem confusing to me. If you order the set of 24 is it likely to include the seven listed as stand along figures?

I honestly don't mind the chest cavity... At least it suggests the figures are in a 3"-4" range.

6. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

that manga needs to become animated fast. that original battle beast cartoon/commercial is one of the coolest pieces of animation of all time. if they could do a new series even remotely close to how cool that was ill crap myself.

7. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    These do look interesting.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Oh my god, these make me smile so much. :D 

I hope they get a domestic release through Hasbro!

zmog

9. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
  10. SMOG

Maybe these threads should be merged?

zmog

11. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  12. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
  13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, after reading that I'm more convinced then ever that I'll be staying away from the DST versions and going with the new Takra releases. Those are more of what I'm looking for in a renewed Battle Beasts line. Not, "beasts that just so happen to battle while we try to hook you with a nostalgic name". Also, they're essentially super minimates and I HATE minimates. With a passion.

14. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They sure look cute but will skip them.

15. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Do you know if we will see any beasts that are of mythical creatures (dragons, Griffons, Hyrdas, etc.) or beasts that are Dinosaur-based (tyrannosaurus, triceratops, etc.)???

Yeah I honestly don't think DST's line is gonna last long. What do we know they have so far? 2 figure types, and most of them have been exclusives?

Takara has an entire line of product ready to go, and it looks fantastic. It wouldn't surprise me if Habsro tries to buy the Name rights or just makes a whole new name altogether and tries to sell Takara's line everywhere outside of Japan.

And I agree with you folks, Takara's line is faaaaaaar truer to the original spirit and look of Battle Beasts than DST's line. However, I wont rule DST out yet. I just need to see more products from them to make any further judgement.

16. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    At the c2e2 panel they shows a few more characters, but they were all renderings, no prototypes yet.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what I feared. Takara has a whole line ready to go and DST has 2 figures, possibly some in-progress prototypes, and...renderings.

DST better ramp things up soon or else I could see their whole project being overshadowed by Takara's BB revival.

And for folks complaining about the chest-stored dice and no chest holograms, what if Takara makes chest-storable hologram-sided dice later on? A dice with 6 different holograms you could swap around to your liking. It could also give the game a certain mysterious/suspenseful aspect in terms of finding out what each player truly rolled.

18. SMOG

I'm not a fan of the DST ones so far. I mean, the Gator wasn't bad, but it feels like the Minimates bodies just aren't quite right. If they're thinking of expanding this into a line, they'd be better off designing a new Beast-oriented base buck for the figures. The Ram guy looks sort of cool, but he just doesn't have the classic Battle Beasts aesthetic. These guys, with their anime-medieval armour look like they'd be more at home with the Thundercats, somehow. They're missing that squat, cybernetic snarling cute-ness that made the original line...

... and Takara seems to have captured that charm very well. Maaaaaaaan... I can only imagine that the announcement of this Takara revival must have been met with some mixed feelings over at IDW and DST. Excitement because they're fans, frustration because it's potentially going to step on their project.

zmog

19. kylash327

kylash327 TOOOOOOYS!

News Credits:
    hope someone at Botcon gets a chance to ask Hasbro about bringing Beast Saga to the US...

20. SMOG

OH HELL YEAH!

When's the Hasbro panel... we missed it already, didn't we? Meh. That would have been a great question.

zmog