The Batman...the end...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, this weekend marks the end of the batman...and rumor has it a new show will be here next fall.

the brave and the bold...brand new continuity too...which sucks...

why are they doing this? who knows...

and what happened to the proposed batman hush movie that was coming....that coulda been way cool...it could take place in the future, well after batman was established and had been able to lose jason todd and more....all the major players are already in the batman (superman, poison ivy, riddler, clayface, killer croc, harley, joker, etc.)

maybe that'll still come eventually...

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Like I said in the Spectacular Spider-man thread, I have no idea why they need another new continuity.

They purposefully had The Batman start out being hunted by police -a loner.
    They had several episodes where he grew and earned the trust of the police force.
    He first resisted any kind of partnership, but now is a capable team leader.

Then, they introduce other heroes and have him help create the Justice League.

In short, this version of Batman is in the perfect spot to star in Brave and the Bold. Instead they go with a new version -why?

Oh well. It was a good run -better than I thought.
    My only real problem with the series is the whole tangent they started to develop with Ellen Yin that was dropped as soon as Batgirl showed up.

Did Detective Yin just move or something?

I hope the new show can match the awesome animation set by The Batman.
    I really liked during the action sequences when among all the crazy stuff they would throw in a realistic punch, hold or throw.

Good stuff.

3. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

It's a new continuity? LAME.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I am sorry, Batman: TAS is batman. It has been the perfect telling of the batman saga even down to his involvement in the Justice League, Scoring with Batgirl and Wonderwoman, Wearing the cape until he is 80 and even him being a crotchety old man in Batman Beyond.

And even how the saga ends... The US government sees Bruce Wayne as the best humanity has ever produced and seeded the general population with his DNA to make sure there is always a BATMAN. It isn't about superpowers or Meta humans. It is raw human ingenuity.

Nope, sorry... There is no purpose in this second Batman series. While it isn't bad. It was just uneeded. Some of the stories were not even good reinventing of the characters.

What we *REALLY* needed was a Live Action batman detective series that is a cross between CSI and Batman. I mean we got smallville and Lois and Clark, come on. Make them double-thirty minute episodes with a cliffhanger like the old series.

Or a Batman Beyond Live Action movie.

5. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I didn't know that :( 

I enjoyed this series, not like the animated series, but still it did a good job with the batman mythos.

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I'm gonna miss it too. One of the last great cartoons left. Thanks KidsWB for selling out to 4Kids Entertainment.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Meh. I agree with nkelsch. Batman TAS is the definitive Batman cartoon, and The Batman pales horribly in comparison.

The important thing to me is the fate of the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. That show is really fun and enjoyable, and I would sell Scott Baio's soul for a third season.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I completely agree.
    But, The Batman is quite good.
    It's just not as good.
    But, you know what?
    What is as good as Batman: The Animated Series?
    Nothing.

I realize that some people were put off by the exaggerated action, and the fact that all of his villains could fight -including Penguin.
    But compare Batman's physical prowess in the first season of TAS and the last season of JLU.
    He is actually closer to The Batman at the end of JLU than you might think.

Also, some of the villains were cleverly reinvented.
    The twisted Jack-in-the-box Joker is awesome, and I actually think Ethan Bennet is the best Clayface ever, and one of the most tragic villains in any cartoon.

9. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

any pics of what this new cartoon is going to look like?

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I really liked The Batman... shame that its ending and really wish that it would continue in some form.

At least for me, I'm getting to old to keep investing in retelling after retelling of the Batman mythology has a cartoon so I'll probably skip this new version. Only so many times you can watch the shit thing over and over again no matter the slight alterations made to it.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

As many have said, TAS was the best and will forever remain the ultimate batman story. It was perfect in every way.

12. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

When did this happen?

13. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I didn't know it was the series finale. That makes me sad. I loved that show. Of course it's not as good as TAS, but it's still a good show.

I agree with whoever called for pics of the upcoming series. So it's going to be another reboot?

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The episode of Justice League Unlimited called Epilogue.
    It even has Phantasm in it.

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ether "nkelsch" is confused or he's embleshing the events of that episode a little bit.

First it was Amanda Waller that started "project Batman Beyond" and not the U.S. government.She used her old contacts at Cadmus to get the job done but she pretty much did it on her own.

And second....Bruce's DNA was not used to seed "the general population".Amanda Waller researched the gentic and psychological profiles of every 20 something couple in Gotham City untill she found a couple with profiles nearly identical to those of Bruce Wayne's parents

She then arranged for When Warren McGinnis to get a flu shot,but what he really got was a nanotech solution programmed to rewrite his reproductive material into an exact copy of Bruce Wayne's.

Thats far from seeding the general population.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Batman had a hell of a rocky start, and really was unfortunately placed under the shadow of 12 years of incredible DCU continuity.

That said, I felt it really had improved as its own thing. :/ Sad to see yet ANOTHER reboot.

17. nkelsch

Terry's father was just one of many who were re-written. They Implied that multiple familes that fit the profile were seeded, but one was selected to murder the parents to 'create' a batman.

Edit: I will have to re-watch the epsiode...

Here is the Wiki describing it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epilogue_(Justice_League_Unlimited)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  18. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

So for those of us who have no idea what you're all talking about, whats the brave and the bold? Whats actually known about it other than reset Bats?...

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's a new cartoon that features a superhero team up each week featuring Batman and another hero.

It's supposed to be out in the fall -there is not an image to be had of it yet.

20. nkelsch

Sounds terrible. The reason why batman was so great was not only did he not need superpowers, but most of his villains did not have them either. The Joker is quite possibly one of the most dangerous villains of all time and no superpowers.

This is like the New Scooby-Doo movies where they had celebrities every week...

Apparently Batman got a new superpower in this series... Enhanced shark-jumping ability.