The Bad Cop. *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TranstechCat, Jun 20, 2009.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I want to bring up a couple questions about Barricade. (Yeah, I know... :horse:  )

1. It's been said that Barricade makes no appearance in ROTF. Is this true, and does that mean there's a possibility he may return in TF3? Would they/we even care at that point?

2. With Barricade's status up in the air, what does that mean for Prowl? Would the introduction of another police car Transformer (this time an Autobot) confuse general audiences, especially since the previous (Decepticon) one just disappeared into thin air two movies previous? Could Prowl have another, non law enforcement alt. mode?

3. Why do you think that Barricade has been so consistently forgotten about? First he was forgotten about in the climax of TF1, and then he was forgotten about for the entirety of ROTF. Did the screenwriters (or some other people in charge of the production) just not like him or something? Do you think that Sideways was intended to be the fugitive Barricade, reformatted and in hiding? His design and role in the movie seem to suggest that he was intended to be Barricade at some point, and the scene was written to basically fill that leftover TF1 plot hole. If that's true, was the name/identity change a totally toy-based decision (like naming and giving separate bios for each of Arcee's "parts")?

4. Speaking of toys, it's obvious that not everyone forgot about him, as he's gotten/getting several mainline figures. Does anyone else find it odd that he's getting not only a deluxe, but something as high-end as a Human Alliance figure in the ROTF line when he doesn't even have a cameo in ROTF?

So yeah. The mystery of the bot named Barricade. Discuss.

2. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Prowl would be nice to see, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, has a barricade HA been confirmed? I thought it was was just wishful thinking on our part.

3. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    If they were to make a Barricade HA, they would have to rename it to "Robot Alliance" because, as we all know, Frenzy is the only one who travels around with Barricade. However, Frenzy's dead so...that wouldn't really make sense.

4. TranstechCat

I'm 99% sure it was confirmed (and shown) at Botcon, with Frenzy as the tag-along partner.

5. Eastsider4eva

Eastsider4eva Well-Known Member

the way i see it.......................sideways has no background story his name isint even mentioned so in my mind he is a reformated barricade.

6. Prime82

Prime82 Optimus knows all

Barricade was in the prequel comic Alliance and transmitted a signal to Starscream but thats the last appearance he had. Sideways must be Barricade because they look very identical and it makes sense he would change his alt mode and hide out in Shanghai. Name change must be for a new toy. But Bay doesnt seem too worried about explaining little things. Maybe he thinks we are too dumb to notice. Guess again buddy

7. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude inimitable, original

News Credits:
    1. barricade is not in tf2. not the regular cut, not the imax cut.

2. prowl (if he is in tf3) will probably not be a police car as you've speculated. it would be cool if he developed a rivalry with barricade though, as a slight nod to his g1 incarnation

3. dunno.

4. dunno

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like Prowl's introduction in TF3 to involve him killing Barricade. It will establish him and wipe out his counterpart who seems to be troublesome to the filmmakers.

9. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I could think of several nice ways for him to e brought back for #3. For one of those "gasp" moments, to have people in the theater be like, "The cop came back!!"

He would actually be a nice hold over and a nice treat as a character who, while not in consistently be in each movie, kept his ties in.

10. TranstechCat

Personally, this is the way I'm treating it as well. As far as I'm concerned, "Sideways" is just a toy-only name for ROTF Barricade.

11. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:

Yeah...you two might change your minds after you see the movie.

12. TranstechCat

If it's because
    Sideways only appears for a few minutes and is then chopped in half, albeit in the most awesome way possible,
    * then I don't really mind that. I mean, just for closure's sake that's what I'd expect if it really were Barricade anyway.

If it's because they actually mention Sideways specifically by name or something though then I guess yeah, I'd have to reconsider.

* = Does it really count as a spoiler if it's in the freaking trailers? :lol 

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    We need Barricade back, period. His alt mode was just too good to be true. Regardless of what the comics say, I'm hoping the real story in the movie will be answered one day. I mean c'mon, a Saleen-Mustan/Police car, & a decepticon, how sweet is that?

14. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Orci did state that we'd find out what happened to Barricade in this film, and we did see a shot of Barricade's stunt cars being moved around. I *do* think that a explanation was made, or Barricade DID appear in the original scripts for ROTF, however either due to budget or Michael Bay's decision, he was cut from the film.

Given this, I would expect that any post-ROTF comic may deal with this more specifically - he was clearly alive and following Starscream's orders in Alliance. I would assume that in either the Tales of The Fallen, or another comic series - his fate will be revealed.

Or he'll randomly reappear in TF3 with no explanation whatsoever.

15. TranstechCat

Eh, I don't really consider the comics to be canon. They're written totally separately from the movie scripts, and quite often it becomes painfully obvious just how little they actually matter when new material comes out.

Barricade had several "official" death scenes in the various spin-off material for TF1, but then again he was also shown to have survived in just as many. Starscream had several Cons resurrected as zombies using a method that's never referenced again and who were almost instantly re-killed. The Allspark mutations were smashed in about three different ways at three different times, and Jazz came back to life as a jerk.

New Autobots and Decepticons show up randomly (via either arrival from space in response to Optimus's signal, or being brought to life by the Allspark, and which bots came from which origin switches randomly from one story to the next) and then are never seen or talked about again. Etc...

When it comes to the movie-verse canon, the comics have about as much weight as fan-fiction in my opinion.

16. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

With the UK comics yeah. But the IDW ones seem to have a closer link. Soundwave, Ravage and Devestator were all going to be in Reign of Starscream but were dropped after the movie people said they were using them in TF2. Also in Reign, Starscream gets hold of Frenzys body. Alliance then has a scene that explains how Simmons gets Frenzys head from Starscream, so that a shot that only lasts a couple of seconds in TF2 makes sense.

17. fuzzy_ninja

fuzzy_ninja little tin goddess

This is where he's been mostly.

Maybe doing some more spy work? Barricade is pretty darn good at recon. If Soundwave wasn't in the movie, I'm sure it would've been 'Cade doing some of the work. Some, clearly not all, at least, that's what I understand from some of the spoilers.
    I'm sure we'll eventually get a logical explanation.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I say they didn't kill him off because he was just so damn popular/marketable in terms of merchandise. Aside from Megatron, who else showed up on more stuff in terms of Decepticons from the first movie? Albeit, Starscream has taken those reigns for ROTF now.

He appeared briefly in Reign of Starscream and Alliance, and he's on the cover for Spotlight Bumblebee from Tales of the Fallen, I figure Mowry will at least treat him right.

19. jadtdt

jadtdt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. Barry may appear in TF3, but I think it's more likely he's going to die in the Tales of the Fallen mini-series that's coming out and that'll be that.

2. I think if they were doing Prowl they'd keep him a police vehicle. If there's another Autobot car-former I would expect they'd just give that character a more appropriate name for an Autobot car like Sideswipe, or come up with something semi-new like Mudflap.

I don't think audiences would be confused by his presence - the idea audiences couldn't handle two police cars made sense in the cramped space of the first movie's robot cast where we only got three regular car 'bots, but with an expanded cast there's more room. I also think of it as some of their underestimating of the first movie's audience - like believing female robots require some big explanation or even the early studio decision that the robots should not speak English at all.

It would help, though, to avoid confusion if they had very different decos, which isn't out of the question for police vehicles. Actually, I want to see him as a Chevy Suburban or Tahoe, for a bit of a variety.

3. I don't know why/if the movie creators decided not to bring Barricade back, but I'm very sure it wasn't a toy-based decision. We heard this at the Botcon writer's panel -
    If that was their statement on the matter, I really doubt they made them change Barricade into a semi-identical new character just to sell toys with a different name on them (while also making new Barricade toys anyway.)

Sideways does look very Barricade-y, but that could be entirely meaningless, rather than inferring they were meant to be the same character at any point.

4. Not that surprised. He got pretty popular from the first film, and still has selling power two years later.

Oh, and another thing, BARRICADE IS ALIVE. People sometimes treat it like there's one comic that says he's dead and one that says he's alive so it's all a big mystery, but the comics presenting him as surviving the first film are the current canonical explanation, overwriting any previous media that said otherwise. He might kick the bucket later, but there is no doubt at all that Barricade's current status is that he's alive on Earth monitoring the Autobots, per Reign of Starscream/Alliance/Veiled Threat.

20. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    it's really simple. apart from the couple of main characters, the transformers are regarded as nameless generic grunts / footsoldiers.