The autobots lacked genuine personality and heart.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Santoanderson, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

Okay, gonna be spoilers folks. Look away if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Going into this movie, nothing would've pleased me more than to have a calm, down to earth scene where all the Autobots were collected together and talking. It would've provided valuable exposition and also an opportunity to just hear them speak with one another and display character. Ironhide could return to that rough-riding cowboy motif touched upon in the first movie. Ratchet could be the brainy nerd who puts his foot in his mouth far too often. Bumblebee could be the shy, yet brave soldier, and so on and so on. The first movie did a pretty excellent job establishing characters and personalities. But in this one we get Sideswipe uttering two or three lines of dialogue, and nothing, no personality. The Arcee triplets? What's their motivation? Jolt? Seriously? Engineer Olsen was imbued more personality than Jolt, and he had three minutes of screen time. These characters had no character.

I mean, yes, we got the Twins, but seriously, they were not sympathetic characters. They were simply an outlet used to spill stereotypical gangsta' ebonics and comic relief for 8 year olds. And if I had to sum up their personalities in a single word, it would be stupid.

To me the best war movies are the ones where you care about the soldiers. You genuinely tense up when one of them gets shot because you really learn to love them. But in this one, I didn't give a crap for either side. I didn't care if the Decepticons won or lost, because ultimately Ironhide, Arcee, Jolt, Ratchet, and hell, even Bumblebee were painted with broad 2-dimensional strokes. And I didn't care about them.

As a side note, yes, I felt sad when Prime "died", because he's the only one who really seemed to be fleshed out in this one. He had the heart, and unfortunately for the 60+ minutes where he was in stasis lock, I was bored stiff.

2. JB1323

JB1323 Member

I agree with you in that I missed the characterization of the Autobots. I would have liked to see more of Ironhide, Sideswipe, Ratchet and the rest in the film. I know we can't get everything we want, but I agree, I missed the exposition with the characters, even in their limited time in the first one, you got a sense of the personalities of the Autobots.

3. MisterE

MisterE What?

I agree with this. I was really dissapointed with the lack of characterisation for a lot of the characters. It would not be too hard, surely, for just a scene of the Autobots mourning Prime's death and showing you their personalities, even if just for a few minutes. The only character that I felt got any real personality was Jetfire, and it really worked pretty well.

4. Autobot_Hiphop

Autobot_Hiphop Well-Known Member

Lol, it wasn't that bad. I was entertained throughout the movie but I can see what you're saying too. I really wanted more characterization from the fembot Arcees and Sideswipe. Those Autbots ended up being wastes of very cool designs IMHO.

5. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    plenty of personality went around, I thought.

6. LemonManX

LemonManX To punish and enslave.

I also noticed this, and was saddened by it. I felt that the Autobots got heavily neglected as Revenge of the Fallen was just weighed down by so much Decepticon stuff at times. A few scenes here or there would have been nice for the Autobots.

7. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Great point and I was thinking the same thing afterwards.

They could have used more characterization, but I guess that's the way it goes when you're working with a large amount of robots and a relatively short amount of time.

8. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

Optimus was the center of the film. He should have been in the whole thing.

9. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

I really hate in movies when you can tell that the director doesn't like a particular character. Alot of the time these are characters that the director feels put upon to include.The best example I had until now was Sam Raimis treatment of Venom in Spiderman 3, but now I can add some more to the list: Arcee and Jolt. Bay himself said that he doesn't like the sister bots (and took out the coolest aspect of them they would have had: combining), and had to be convinced to put Jolt in... and preceded to give him about 5 seconds of screen time.

I can't believe i'm saying this, but I do wish there had been less bots in the film, if less would have meant getting more out of the ones we were left with.

10. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree.

11. battlefudge

battlefudge TFW2005 Supporter

I agree, they totally lacked characterization. We also barely got to see any of the Autobots do anything, or be in anyway heroic, save for Prime, BB, and Jetfire. The twins were just there for themselves and for comic relief. The rest were wasted.

It also seemed that the humans were bailing out the Autobots. Why not reverse that and give them a chance to be heroic?

12. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

One part that I absolutely LOVED in TF1 was the very brief moment where Ironhide considered killing Sam's parents, and Optimus' angery reaction. I seriously would've loved a scene where Ironhide oversteps a line and Optimus demotes him to desk duty. And Ironhide pouts as the rest of the Autobots egg him on from afar.

I want to see these guys function as a military unit, and for God's sake show some freaking emotion! Now I don't mean tacking a big silly smile on Optimus' puss, but a pleased chuckle or an angry outburst. The problem is that they're all so one-noted and, for the lack of a better term, robotic.

13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

these movies aren't about autobots vs decepticons

its humans vs decepticons

14. buckmana

buckmana Well-Known Member

Yeah, it does seem a bit like that. You have an assortment of big robots standing in the battle and we're focussing on the guys with machine guns and bazookas?

Raise your hand if you went to see a movie that was a typical army/earth vs alien invasion force.

Now raise your hand if you went to see the movie with Autobots fighting Decepticons.

Bay doesn't like the female bots? Then what the heck were they doing in the movie in the first place?

How much effort does it take to make those CGI models? And they only showed Jolt for 5 seconds? I hope they gave that animator a lot of extra cash!

15. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

A perfect example of characterization for TFs would be in the first movie.... when the Autobots are at the Witwiki home. This was the only time, really in both films that there was a lot of dialog between actual Transformers and their personalities were spotlighted.

In ROTF only the Twins really got this type of opertunity.

I was expecting a lot more interaction with TF characters this time around... but there was even less... which I didn't think was even possible.

You know it would be so damn easy to build the characters and have it not cost a fortune..... have them talk in ALT mode.

16. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Well-Known Member

I didn't really mind it, considering the Decepticons got more screen time and dialogue in this one... and that's what most people were complaining about for the first one.

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thank you for summing up in one sentance my main problem with the movie. Couldn't agree more.

The movie was good, but it could have been fabulous if they hadn't wasted all the potential. I wonder if the movie novel helps things out in the Autobot characterization department at all. I haven't read it yet.

18. Rob Almighty

Rob Almighty Kneel before Rob.

I said it in another post and I'll say it here. Too much action.

The writers/director used the action set pieces to progress the narrative. There was never any characterization happening at any time, save for the obvious one stated in this post. It's a real shame and a hugely missed opportunity.

Hopefully the third time's the charm. However, movies have told us that the third installment of a trilogy is never as good as the first or second.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I must have watched a different movie.

20. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

hmm... the one I saw had Autobots being largely ineffective against their enemies. Thank god though the music swelled just in time for the human aircraft carriers to launch their fighters and fire their special Destroy Devastator(tm) gun.

I know it was a rail gun, but **** me, one shot?! One shot takes out "the ultimate decepticon weapon"? I normally dont mind it, but I wish Bay would take his hand out of the US armies pants long enough to make just this one movie.