The Authority? anyone?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ILoveDinobot, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Anyone here read The Authority?

I like it besides the sometimes ugly art. But alot of it makes me lol, like the Kev series :lol  and Christmas with LoBo.

Also there was one volume 3 or 4 that only had 2 issues. I liked where that was going too. Anyone know if they will finish that? They just like stopped it and then ignored it completely. :( 

I like the newer arc too, shows potential. It's like the only series DC hasn't infected with BL zombies yet.

2. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved the earlier runs by Warren Ellis/Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar/Frank Quitely. Ellis's storylines put the characters into interesting situations, where Millar was brilliant with over the top storylines and violence, found his take of the Avengers quite amusing.

However, once Robbie Morrison had taken over, the team didn't go anywhere of any interest and it seemed Morrison didn't know quite what to do with the book.

Ed Brubaker had moments with Revolution, but couldn't match anything before from Ellis or Millar, this is where i pretty much lost interest and dropped it, from here i can't pass any comment on the 2 issues from Grant Morrison.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Pretty much that ^^^^^^

I highly enjoy the original run. One of my favorite comics series, and Revoution was pretty damn good, but everything else was shite.

4. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Revolution is good :D  I love the first issue where Midnighter was broadcasting his thoughts of murdering the people in the meeting :lol .

5. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I liked the Ellis and Millar stuff, but not anything after that.

I used to own Absolute Authority Volumes 1 and 2, but sold them to buy other stuff. Sad, but they were just sitting on the shelf..... much like my transformers are....

6. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You know I really like the shots at politicians these comics take. :lol  Jack in the oval office was XD.

Also yeah my comics sit on my shelf too, I read them once then they are shelf fodder. But if you read them too much you'll wear out the pages ;) .

7. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

It started out good, then slowly descended to meh and now firmly rests in "Pass" territory. It's not bad, but nothing I'd track down.

8. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

ellis's run is stellar. but after that it lost it's way. millar(gawddamn do i hate that guy's hack work.) pushed things too far over the top, i found his stories lacking the subtleties of the earlier stuff. it got so over the top that everything afterwards is honestly trying to top the stuff he did and failing miserably.

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Really? Cause I seem to remember Ellis pretty much had Jenny Sparks kill god. Pretty hard to top that IMO. If anything, Millar was pretty tame compared to some of the stuff Ellis had in his run.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I could tell it was some kind of meta-parody-navelgaze about other comics I don't read. So meh. I had a friend that gave me a lot of books to read, trying to get me into it. I should have bought him some crappy Transformers in return. But he would have missed my point.

11. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I liked the first 12 issues by Ellis & Hitch and kinda liked Millar's first arc and Brubaker's Revolution. I always keep forgetting about Kev and the Lobo crossovers, but I liked them, too. They're planning to have Keith Giffen continue where Grant Morrison left off on the Authority, but I can't remember when they set it for.

12. The Spider

Well, Ellis focused on having The Authority fight bigger and bigger threats (a superhuman clone army, an invasion from a parallel Earth, and "God"), Millar's run was the one where it felt like he was putting in things just to get a shock out of the reader. Parts from the Renegade Doctor arc and the Nativity arc comes to mind.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't know if I read any of Giffen's work but I would like to see that arc continue, so that's good news if they do.

14. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing has been said since last year, i can't see why Wildstorm would bother to carry on that story considering only 2 issues were released, Issue 1 being almost 3 years ago, and since then Authority: Prime has been and gone.

Besides isn't there a new series by Dan Abnett out now?

15. The Spider

The Giffen thing was mentioned in March this year. Newsarama.com : Picking up the Baton: Keith Giffen on Finishing Morrison's 'Authority'

EDIT: Hey, what a coincidence, turns out the November DC solicits are listing it:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090817-dc-november-2009-solicitations.html

16. The Spider

Giffen co-wrote the Authority/Lobo comics and also wrote the Midnighter series after Ennis left, I think.

17. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yee! thanks for the info! ^_^

18. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Im a huge Authority fan its actually what got me back into comics. The original runs were great and i really enjoyed revolution and im excited to see where this newest revamp is going from World's End. I feel like the Authority has stayed truer to itself then other book s have over the years im glad to see fellow Authority fans around :D . Have you guys read the Single character spin off books( Midnighter, Jenny Sparks and Hawksmoor soo far i think?)?

19. Autobot 47

Autobot 47 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've read Authority - kinda interesting, but not something I would dig into deep (except for The Engineer of course - drawn by Hitch). I'm starting with Revolution...

20. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I can't say I've ever read it. Is this the one with the thinly veiled gay versions of Batman and Superman?