The Audio Knights Theatre - Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye audio drama project

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AquaBuffalonius, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah. When you say a P or B sound it makes a pop in the audio. You can do a cheap way and just hold a piece of paper between yourself and the mic.

2. Hard Charger

Hard Charger Active Member

I haven't really done voice work since I worked at TRU and made commercials over the PA system. That was almost a decade ago. I downloaded Reaper, used a Rockband USB mic, a homemade pop filter, and went after it! If anything, I hope you guys got a kick out of it! :) 

Also, I couldn't get Dropbox to work since it requires Outlook to email but if need be, I'll get a copy of Outlook. I'd really like to help with this project! Thanks for the opportunity!

3. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Revised auditions sent- had a particularly good time recording Crankcase. Bah!

4. anindrew

anindrew Writing a #vss365 superhero(?) novel on Twitter

We've received many great auditions. Thank you!

In order to have a really successful audition, there are a few things to keep in mind. We're looking for quality over quantity. Playing the numbers game won't work in your favor. If you audition for 15 characters, there's no way you love each and every one of those characters equally. You should be able to relate to a character or, at the very least, really like a character. Auditioning for everyone will take away from you developing a great voice for your top 3-5 choices. So please, take your time and develop some really great voices for your top 3-5 roles.

And remember, only one character voice per audition MP3 file please. Thank you to everyone!

5. Hard Charger

I understand now that I was unclear on what you were looking for. I'll refine my audition for next time. I did not intend to waste your time.

6. AquaBuffalonius

AquaBuffalonius Member

Hard Charger, you're not wasting our time at all! I don't think we received a set of auditions from you - where did you send them? We look forward to your Crewditions!

7. AquaBuffalonius

AquaBuffalonius Member

8. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I wasn't on there. I took the advice of finding one character I like quite seriously, and found nobody fit for me. Perhaps except Overlord.

9. Jack3Dragon

Jack3Dragon Well-Known Member

Can anyone audition?

10. The Deej

The Deej Well-Known Member

So I thought I'd share my mic setup with everyone who might not have all that much money to spend on ordering pop filters or higher quality mics. This is for anyone where $20 is a lot of money.

"I'm using a guitar hero mic with a sock on it."

I found the mic at a thrift store and it cost me about $5. All the video game USB karaoke type mics are made by the same company and are effectively the same mic. There's only a slight amount of static, but you can only hear it when you're not doing a line,and Iv'e learned how to edit out the between lines static in audacity.

And the sock is my pop filter. I used a thicker winter sock because I'm Canadian, but any non-thin (or newly bought) sock should do. I did the thing where I turned the sock inside out halfway down so it covers the business end of the mic twice on the sides, and I didn't record directly into the top of the mic since that still only had one sock layer.

It's not the highest quality, but it was good enough for Autobot Straggler.

11. jogproof

jogproof Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yea i have chosen to go with Blue Snowball because it is still cheaper than some than most of the mics i used in collage but seems to be quite good and easier to set up than a XLR to usb. but I'm trying get the role of Fulcrum =D but yea it seams cheaper mics are only like 10%-20% lower quality.

12. Jack3Dragon

I have a question how many lines do we have to read for it to be a proper audition?

13. AnnaLK

AnnaLK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How often will you update the audition page? I might've mentioned previously, but I have interest in auditioning for Nautica in s2 (she's really the only character I think my voice fits..) Do you have any idea when you'll be holding auditions for s2 characters, or are we allowed to go ahead and send them?

14. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Cyber Ninja Web Developer

News Credits:
    I assume you guys will be dipping into Dark Cybertron since it crosses over with MTMTE?

15. AquaBuffalonius

AquaBuffalonius Member

To answer the questions we've received:

Jack3Dragon: Enough lines to give us a sense of the character - if they have a good speech or a back-and-forth scene with another character, that could work - just enough to show us what you have!

AnnaLK: currently, we're updating the page weekly - giving people time to get their auditions in and time for us to listen to them all and choose accordingly. We PREFER people audition for characters we're currently needed, since we're getting things prepped for issues coming up, but if your character is in a book further away and that's the one you're excited about, send it in - we'll give you feedback, but until we start officially casting for the role, we won't assign roles at that time. Once we do, we'll certainly contact you to see if you're still available to reprise the role.

WuLongTi: You may assume so. :p 

16. Jack3Dragon

Thanks!

17. AnnaLK

AnnaLK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! I'll keep an eye on the page, and send my audition in when you request auditions for Nautica. I need to get a decent mic anyways..

18. Hard Charger

I sent it to the gmail address but not through Dropbox since that seems to require Outlook. Oh, and this is StuandBeyond on Twitter!

19. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

How can I join this?

20. AquaBuffalonius

AquaBuffalonius Member