Customs: The articulated robot hands and weapons discussion thread

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by aurascope, Jan 19, 2011.

1. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Hi guys,

I think we should discuss all about articulated robot hands and weapons in this thread.

These topics keep coming up. Let's just keep everything in this thread.

hand unit B = 1/100 gundam scale = transformers voyager scale
    hand unit A = 1/144 gundam scale = transformers deluxe scale

hand unit PVC Anime Figures Store

armoured core weapon = 1/100 gundam scale = transformers voyager scale

core weapon PVC Anime Figures Store

kotobukiya weapons = 1/144 gundam scale = transformers deluxe scale
    kotobukiya weapon PVC Anime Figures Store

2. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think a 3RD party group should do some articulated hands...

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Qft, also, the hands in those links I think are fix posed hands, not articulated. The descriptions say closed first, flay hand, and a gun holding hand. If you want articulated hands for tf's, look up gundam detail up hands on ebay. Those are completely articulated.

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    I want articulated ROTF/HFTD leader prime and starscream hands! (bonus wrist swivel for starscream!)

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

You can mod over the first movie leader prime hands which are articulated.

6. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    If I HAD that one, and I'm not getting him for just the hands.

Besides, I want more accuracy than those hands.

7. Grepicon

Grepicon Well-Known Member

Yes, this does keep coming up. But, yet, some people's customs continuously have custom articulated hands, in cast colors and different sizes.

The hands you are referring to on Evilbay: Bandai1/100 Gundam Hands Detail-Up Parts movable 38pcs - eBay (item 220723096488 end time Feb-09-11 00:17:29 PST)

are 1/100 scale and are a little small for what I would like to use them in.

Good luck finding a movie leader Prime WITH good hands for under $20.00, the SH charges always make that difficult.

I started a thread asking for a source of cast hands - white or red preferred, as I do not want them painted.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/wanted-items/357452-articulated-hands-wanted.html

Still looking.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think someone should CAD some hands up for prime, and have them made up by shapeways. Is do it, but... I don't.. Have a CAD program, not do I know how to use it :/

9. Grepicon

SO True OmegaPrime1983, There has been a real vacuum since PTITVITE left the handcasting biz. I wish I had access to some CAD programs and equipment, I looked into it and may still take a class later this Spring.

You would figure with the new house, Ptitvite would get back into casting so he can furnish his entire house with the orders.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Urea, but you know how priorities go man. I wonder how hard CAD is to work with... Maybe I'll take some classes this year too.

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

How hard CAD is depends on a ton of factors, most notably what programs you choose to use and how much work you're willing to put into learning it.
    Taking classes may be beneficial, but any lessons you take will be limited to a specific program, which odds are you'll also have to buy (and most of the programs you'll be able to take classes in aren't going to be cheap either).

Before you start shelling out for lessons, have a look online for freeware programs, most of which also have a lot of free online tutorials and documentation. Even if you decide to take classes later, they'll be an excellent start.
    I, and others, have mentioned them elsewhere on the boards, but to get your search started, have a look at Blender, Google SketchUp and Caligari trueSpace. If you're a total beginner, I'd definitely recommend SketchUp, as it's flexible, has a fairly intuitive user interface, and also has quite a lot of online documentation and free video tutorials to help you to learn it. Check out DSN's SketchUp bandwagon thread, by a guy who's only just started to use it.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    neat, thanks ramrider :)  I'll have a looky see at this as well.

EDIT: What is it that everyone on here uses?? Who thinks what is the best??

13. aurascope

aurascope Kitbash Resource Indexer

Ebay:
    Grepicon, can you post pics of the people's customs you mentioned?
    I have a feeling those hands are cannibalized from a full gundam kit instead of being a recast. If they were recast, it wouldn't make financial sense not to sell extras to lower the cost.

The main limitation from recasting articulated gundam hands is the clip joint
    which requires one finger joint to flex outwards and back in to perform the 'clip' function of holding the fingers together. Resin cannot do that. only ABS injection molded plastic can. If you look through the past threads, somebody has already tried and failed. Even with a rubbery material it failed.
    It's not a blood diamond. It's just something that cannot be fan made from resin in small quantities.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Of the free ones, SketchUp seems to be most popular round here; I know Treadshot uses it, and I think Rodentus Prime does too.

I haven't seen anyone using Blender here, though it's fairly popular over at the Shapeways site. How suitable it is for the kind of stuff we do, I'm not sure.
    I've just found out that while trueSpace is still available for download, and there active communities surrounding it, it's no longer actively supported; Microsoft bought it out and then canned it. I still plan to give it a fair crack, though.

Insane Galvatron has mentioned using Solidworks, and I use AutoCAD at the moment; neither of these are free, though, unfortunately.

I've found a directory of programs you can have a scroll through; I've just downloaded a couple more programs (AutoQ3D and Art Of Illusion) to try out myself.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey thanks ramrider, I really appreciate it, I'll be looking into that directory later on. Unfortunately what aurascope saaaiiid about the plastics worries me for thee finger joints, in that they most likey won't hold :( 

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

To be fair, he's not talking about 3D printing materials, he's referring to plastics that can be moulded. Also, I'm not sure, but I think he's referring to a specific Gundam hand design.

17. Grepicon

Aloha Aurascope - I know that you, before me, have worked very hard in the past to get the ball rolling on getting some hands made for the masses - there always seems to be a select few who say - $10 - $20 is too expensive - but they NEVER say where they are getting hands cheaper than that.

I do not want to single any customizers out by posting names - but there are a few who put out a new custom every week with hands. I have contacted them, and have not been able to purchase hands from them. Christmas is over, I am not a competitive threat and have never badmouthed them and am actually a huge fan of their works and collaborations- so the only other explanation is that the hands are a pain in the ass to make and they are not worth the time or money anymore to even sell.

I have gone 4 years back in the histories on this site and numerous other fan sites including sector70 and procustomizers to name a couple and went to page 20 on Google Search looking for a source.

18. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    I'm Pooling for ldr screamer Hand, is there a Way to add them from the fallen (purple One) or from ldr jetfire?