The Ark and other Titaniums Reviewed

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Voiceroy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    TITANIUM SERIES: THE ARK (3")

Although 10-20 years from now I may regret saying this due to market value (if we haven't blown the world up by then), I would advise passing on the Titanium Ark. It sucks. I saw two at KBToys over the weekend and was HUGELY disappointed.

It's little more than an orange turd with wings. And I don't understand how Hasbro can get away with calling a lot of the Titanium figs "die-cast," especially The Ark. The whole front of the ship AND the wings are plastic -- the ratio of plastic to die-cast in this piece is like 65 to 35%. Also, the plastic orange is a different color from the orange painted die cast, making it a yucky, clashing orange two-tone.

In short, it really sucks. The only way Hasbro could redeem themselves from this piece of sh*t is to give fans an Ark playset that would hold figures the size of the Action Master TFs up to Cybertron Deluxe figures. That, or an Ark that transformed and was the size of Armada Unicron (or bigger, preferably).

"WAR WITHIN" OPTIMUS PRIME ("3)

It kinda sucks too, but I still gave in and bought one even though it looks like more than half of the figure is plastic. (What can I say--I'm a sucker for Prime figures.) Haven't taken it out of the package, but the hands, feet and head all appear to be plastic.

The paint aps are really crappy and the hands are waaaay disproportionate with the tiny head and huge feet--the hands are more than twice the size of the head. It just looks weird.

As for the other 3" Titaniums:

G1 STARSCREAM
    Sucks. Looks like he's crapping foam out of his feet.

BW OPTIMUS PRIMAL
    Sucks. And his sword is flaccid.

BW MEGATRON
    Sucks.

CYBERTRON MEGATRON
    Sucks.

ALTERNATOR JAZZ
    Okay, but still kinda sucks.

ALTERNATOR SIDESWIPE
    Decent, but still a little sucky because he looks like he has a titanium rod shoved up his asspipe.

G1 BUMBLEBEE
    Poor paint aps (common for the whole Titanium line), but I hafta admit I kinda like this one.

Haven't found a G1 Prime or Unicron yet, but I will probably buy them both because I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I'll return to this thread later for comments on these and other Titaniums as I come across them.

But while we're on the subject, does anyone else find it curious that there's no G1 Megatron in the Titanium line?

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    eh? o_O 

bumbles out?

*rushes to store*

3. starkaz75

starkaz75 Well-Known Member

I bought the Titanium Ark the other day. The only thing I'm really disappointed in is the stand. It's just basically a stick that sits on top of the Autobot symbol base, but doesn't really connect to it. As for the plastic, I've noticed that all of the Titaniums are a bit hit or miss when it comes to the amount of metal in them. I have all of the Battlestar Galactica ones that are out now, and they each have varying amounts of plastic. The Viper seems to have the highest percentage, with just the vertical stablizer, the canopy, and the landing gear in plastic.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

ive passed on all so far but the ark. they are craptacular.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I haven't bought many, but here's what I did get:

WW Optimus Prime - has bad issues with proportions and squatty pose. Could've been much better, but the larger version makes up for it IMO;

Unicron - I got because it's Unicron, and not the Armada universe version. Not that bad, but the pose and "hand planetoid" look too much like bowling or basketball playing.

Ark - Not bad, kinda simple, but what bugs me about it is they went a different way than previous visual designs. You can pop the little plastic front off the ship, for something that looks closer to the cartoon-style Ark. REALLY needed a means to connect the stand to the base.

Alt. Jazz - I just plain like this one. Still kinda squatty, but not nearly as ugly about it as other figures. I'm also quite happy they added the blue stripes to it, though it makes me sad the Alternator didn't have them.

6. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

The base that comes with 3" WW Prime has a peg on it. I'm using that one for the Ark. And I'm not even going to bother with the rest of them, they're going into the big box of TF packaging. The little guys stand fine on their own and take up less shelf space without the bases.

7. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I'm not too impressed with any of the 3" Titaniums so far. Nice choice of characters, but poor sculpting and weird poses/proportions. After reading Dave Van Domelen's reviews, I can't help looking at them and thinking "That's a bad case of the crouch!" Almost sounds like an STD.

I was tempted by WW Prime, but I think I'll wait until the 6" version shows up. Loose joints or not, I'm still looking forward to the figure.

However, I did pick up Unicron and the Ark this evening at Wal-Mart.

- Unicron: not bad. I like that it's G1 Unicron with the darker orange and movie-accurate face. And yes, though it does look like he's ready to bowl, the hand digging into the planetoid is kinda cool.

- the Ark... doesn't look like the Ark. It looks like the Autobot shuttles from the movie though. It's a reasonable little ship, and I wouldn't mind Titanium versions of other Transformer ships.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you know the front end seperates right? then you DO see the Ark as we know it.

9. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    No, I hadn't actually opened it yet. Thanks for the info.

Boy, that'll be one tiny ship!

10. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Got some of the newer Titaniums:

Bumblebee: Sort of a cross between cartoon and toy versions. The pose looks awkward in the package, but can be posed a lot better than that. I likes it.

Alt. Smokescreen: Very squatty, but at least it looks like there's a reason for the pose. I also like it.

G1 Optimus: Really obviously based on the MP/20th toy version. Pretty nicely detailed, but the posing is kinda awkward, and the tiny amount of articulation can't offset it very well. Not too bad, but could've been better.

The figures seem to be getting better since the first group.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't wait to get the prime... I'm leaving mine in package, but still sucks to hear he has no poseability

12. Feralstorm

News Credits:
    Of the three I just mentioned , they all have joints at the shoulders, wrists, waist, and neck. No real leg articulation to speak of. Prime's arm points outward, so rotating the shoulder just changes the angle of the pointing slightly.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    goldangit, the ark's bridge actually separates?!

*goes and tries*

arcee: "did we really have to let them detonate three quarters of the ship?"
    springer: "shutcherpiehole and make me a sammich, bitch!"

14. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

The Optimus Prime? It's not just G1 Prime, it's 20th Anni/MP-1 Prime! All the little details are there in miniature, including the elbow and ankle pistons and the tech-looking stuff on the other side of the headlight panels that fold over on his back.

Alt Smokescreen is about as nifty as the other Alt titaniums. He doesn't have the sponsor logos and all that. Similar to how the Jazz has the stripes that Meister lacks without that repro label set.

No pegs on the bases for this wave, seems like the only ones with pegs are Unicron, WWI Prime, and the other one in that wave that I didn't buy.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I just got the Titanium 3" Bumblebee, and he is awesome. BB is one of my favorite Autobots. I even like the tiny gun that comes with him. The packaging looks sweet too, but it was a b**** to open up. All in all, this little dude is great. I can't wait to get the 6" Jetfire figure. Peace out.

16. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

I bought the 'Ark", so far its the only one I got, since the rest of the 3" figs havent really impressed me at all.
    However, as we all know, the "ark' isnt really the 'ARK", its the Autobot shuttle from Transformers: The Movie, (complete with separating bow section).
    For that reason I will likely be buying one or two more.
    The rest ive seen so far....
    Pass.

17. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    I bought 3" WW Prime. What made me decide to do that? Well, I needed my Transformer fix and he was only $5.00. And he has a proportionately huge gun!!

He'll have to appear with the Little Ops now of course. He looks deformed, or else he's hunting for something on the ground that he's lost. The pose is a big detriment, and it's not something you notice when he's in package hanging from a peg around eye level, but when he's on the desk, he doesn't look so good.

But I still like him. Nice and hefty with the metal, even at his tiny size. Removable classic Prime rifle, rotates at the waist, shoulders, wrists and neck. Hands are out of proportion, but ok.

Honestly, the pose is the only real flaw with these 3" guys. I don't want them in some stiff as a board straight ahead pose, but the pose they're locked in is pretty exaggerated. Gotta be some middle ground somewhere.