The Anti-Stickers and Weathering Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusZero, Oct 11, 2018 at 2:27 AM.

?

What do you think of Hasbro's "decoration" choices?

1. I prefer my toys with NO additional "fixings"

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Stickers are great!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stickers are good, but I'd prefer them as a sheet/not pre-applied

19 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. Weathering is amazing!!

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. Weathering is good, but Siege is way off the mark

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    I didn't see this specific topic on this board, but I think (especially if Hasbro/John Warden is reading these boards...) this thread is necessary.

First with Titans Return, and now with War for Cybertron: SIEGE, it seems Hasbro is adamant about adding things to the "deco" of their Generations lines now that for the most part, fans don't seem to want. With TR, we had the absolute worst quality of cheap, easily-peeled-off stickers, unfortunately, applied all over the Voyager and Leader class figures, whereas the deluxe line had in contrast had in some cases multi-layer tampograph paint apps that (cost-wise) didn't really make sense (looking at Slugslinger's deco, for instance). Despite fan outcry pretty much from the beginning of the TR line, the stickers remained through to the end of the series' run (into PotP as well), and now, with WFC:SIEGE, we're getting another controversial addition: weathering.

Personally, I think the weathering looks OK, and at least I prefer it to the stickers (mostly since those wretched stickers started peeling off just by being looked at :mad: ), but I am seeing a lot of fan angst toward the scratch marks etc.

From Hasbro's perspective, I think it's clearly a case of them not being able to afford to paint in all the details they used to, so they're trying to find a cheap way to add color/texture to "disguise" the fact that the coloring is sparse. I'm adding a poll to this thread, because I'm curious what people think. I personally think that even with fewer paint apps, as long as the figures have Tampo faction symbols and maybe painted faces, I don't really care that much about fewer "colors". I'd rather have a quality/durable product rather than one with either stickers that decay or weathering that's inconsistent.

What are everyone's thoughts?

2. Insurgent

Insurgent Well-Known Member

Tampo are the best. Stickers I'm fine with as long as they are quality stickers. Guess I've been lucky, not had much in the way of peeling. I prefer them to be unapplied though. If I'm gonna have wonky stickers, it'll be because of my doing.

The weathering i really don't like. I applaud them for trying something new, but every time i look at seige megs, i just think he needs a wash.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Deja vu

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well we know the weathering is due to the line being in the midst of the war. So sure it could be a gimmick that they did to hide the lack of paint apps but that's fine by me. No stickers to be seen makes doing a repro label set even easier to apply.

4. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

It's simple, really.

Good weathering:

[​IMG]

Bad weathering:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Slag Support Squad TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably the biggest thing about 'weathering' on mass-retail toys is that, due to budgets and/or plastic choices, they can't paint all areas similarly so it looks uneven. I don't hate the 'gritty' paintwork and applaud Hasbro for trying something they never really did on a line-wide basis., but I'll have to see how it looks to me in person, as it seems like photos can be somewhat misleading in this case.

I think one of the best examples of a weathered paint job on a recent Hasbro toy is Studio Series Grimlock.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I don't mind weathering or battle damage features on figures. Though I absolutely hate stickers as details for figures. Just looks so cheap and really aggravating when they start to peel.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I didn't mind the stickers for the most part. If they peel off I'll get some reprolabels.
    The weathering however I don't see the appeal of at all.
    It's a war, right. And if your warriors or vehicles get damaged you get them fixed instead of letting them walk around like weathered idiots.
    If you don't you lose the war.
    Let our kids do the weathering, Hasbro. I just like my TF's looking like they're fresh from the factory.
    I don't need them to come from the factory looking like someone already played with them.

• Like Like x 6
  8. King Glurch

King Glurch The Frenchiest Fry

YouTube:
    I think I'm in the same boat as you here. Probably unpopular opinion, but I prefer my figures to look mostly like a toy: few stickers, paint only when necessary, etc. That's most of the reason why I only put the insignias on my Trypticon. I just prefer him without them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Andrew28b

Andrew28b Nemesis custom

As a customizer id rather have no weathering or tampos as it would make it easier to customize instead of having to spend so many minutes stripping paint or stickers. If the stickers were good enough, then I'd like to apply them myself on my finished custom. Siege is doing it wrong badly.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Defender of Ed-Land

Stickers are such a shame. I like the details that they give a toy, such as Starscream's "Ghost" stickers and kill count, but on the other hand the stickers are just awful. The foil look contrasts with the toys and all those small details? Peel right off. Even good stickers might not stand the test of time, dust and cleaning.

Now, weathering is something I loathe in general. It merely muddles the look of the toy. It distracts the eye and really does just take away from the toy. Now, photography or posing really in the very specific scenario of the character getting into a brutal fight. Otherwise, it's out of place. Also, it doesn't really work in a storytelling context. Apparently Transformers don't have a means of repairing themselves and just go around getting more hurt every battle until they inevitably keel over? Why would Hound, for example, go into a fight already injured when Megatron or some other big 'Con might show up? It could mean the difference between narrowly pulling through and being in a robo-coffin. Even Optimus might not make it through if he fought, say, Shockwave, while having not repaired himself.

The paint budget for the weathering could have easily gone to adding small, but appreciable details. It is strange seeing posts on these forums portraying the idea that people who were wanting more paint complaining about the weathering are being ungrateful, as if weathering was this thing in high demand, or "more paint" is synonymous with "Megatron covered in poo stains."

• Like Like x 3
  11. Constructor

Constructor Liquor, Ladies, Smokes, and Spice!

I don't like the weathering on the figures and I'd prefer stickers to be optional like T30 Roadbuster and Whirl.
    Does anybody know a good way of removing small bits of paint so we can remove weathering ourselves?

• Like Like x 3
  12. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    Rubbing Alcohol is one of the best ways that I’m aware of. It eats the paint but as far as I’m aware it doesn’t affect plastic. (Someone correct me if I’m mistaken.)

13. TheCianinator

TheCianinator Member

Bingo.

14. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    One of my biggest beefs with the stickers hasbro chose is that even among stickers, they are the worst quality stickers ever.
    Bandai Japan for example uses PET/plastic-based seals on all it's Rider toys, and those are great! No rips/tears/peeling at all (barring really rough play).
    Also, one of the things that Japanese fans were pointing out/most annoyed about is that in lines like Kamen Rider etc, when they use stickers, they actually
    put the sticker area one level lower in the molding/CAD phase so your fingers won't constantly be hitting the edge of the stickers,
    but with TR/PotP, not only did they not do that, they even did some asinine things like pasting them on curved surfaces, ie Laser Optimus' tanker... UGH.

Not sure if it's available in the US, maybe online, but the weaker Mr.Hobby Paint thinner (300 or 200) should be able to take off just the paint without
    weakening the plastic. I'm assuming the paint weathering on these SIEGE guys will be enamel/oil based like most TF toys, so chances are alcohol won't work too well...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blackout32

Blackout32 Vinnie Paul Abbott = we miss you

Thrash Metal fan huge Pantera/Hellyeah fan
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    While i DID PICK the non fixing option. I do like that option of having my figures have a clean look but some of the figures with weathering where amazing so I'm split on both options. Granted,....I'm sure those figures shown had some professional weathering done i doubt they look like that from the factory. So unless the figures look exactly like that I'm gonna try my best to get that sloppy paint off the figures. I want my figures clean looking,.....but if i want weathering I'll pay a customizer to do it for me not have Hasbro do it for me. It's just gonna look sloppy I'm afraid to say from the factory and sold to us.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I like chrome and tampos, but no weathering or stickers.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    For me it doesn't make a difference. If they don't give us the same amount of paint apps like Takara used to, than I don't buy it. If they use stickers, I don't buy it. If they give us weathering, I don't buy it. It just has to look good and appeal to me. What Hasbro usually gives us these days, doesn't appeal to me. My collection is already big enough, that I don't mind it that much. For anyone who doesn't have that amount to begin with, like new collectors or kids who buy their first Transformer and that don't compare these new figures to older ones, this might be not as problematic.

But I really would like the new Voyager Optimus if they used a different grey plastic, longer smokestacks, bluer windows, no weathering and not the weird roof on top. And the grey vents on his shins could be blue as well. Same with his toes. Also white for his thighs and crotch piece/hips would be better :D 

• Like Like x 1
  18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I'm fine with both, as long as they are done well.

I'd prefer that they let us apply our own stickers, though...brings back memories, and we, the end users, are likely to do a better job of it than the factory.

And, although I like weathering myself, I know that many people do not. And given the likely sub-par weathering application the factory is likely to provide, it would probably be best if they just avoided it altogether. I can grease that fucker up on my own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the biggest issue with the stickers were they were the poorest quality. I have never seen stickers that bad in my life, hell forcing a person to sticker a trypticon with the factory stickers is the 7th circle of hell

according to John warden, by cutting the stickers it gave them more budget for paint, which means the entire decision for stickers was utterly insane. they gave zero benefit.

I honestly think Studio Series Grimlock is overall worst things that has happened lately. That toy alone is why we are getting weathered paint apps on siege and its disheartening. Hasbro finally understood people were super excited for paint on a figure, yet they thought people wanted weathering like that on more figures, which is the furthest from the case. Even at NYCC people were already asking John Warden if there was a possibility to get these toys down the line without the weathering. I will be shocked if it survives for the rest of the war for cybertron toyline. Its going to be rough, for a lot of us generations collectors, thanks to all the greeble, cybertronian alt modes, and the pointless weathering, these toys are going to be very hard to to fit in with the rest of the previous figures since 2006 starting with classics.

I respect the hasbro design team for trying their hardest to give us more quality for the generations toyline, and I think Siege is going to be a great toyline, with figures like reflector and shockwave, but hasbro really needs to take a poll or really go back to the drawing board to see what they can do to give us a product we can all enjoy.

Hasbro, just give me me painted headlights, tail lights, back windows, and maybe painted rims. Keep paintaps simple and clean. Also make a legends cliffjumper because again that needs to finally happen.

20. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

The problem is it's not weathering, it's just an idiot with silver paint.