The Amiga...what a machine!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by jorod74, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really wish I still had my Commodore Amiga- the A500, because it is one of those things that even in a giga-whatsit age (ram, hertz, whatever) can still be used an awful lot.

didn't like the C-64, but when the Amiga line came out, i was stoked. I got one and used it throughout high school, knew a couple other classmates that had em and we swapped games or programs.

i guess for a short spell, it was kinda like the Mac to the PC about the time when Macintoshes were starting to gain popularity. my journalism class got a Mac, but i liked my Amiga more- it was in color and it had more support- but then Commodore ran aground and went belly up.

as much as the bigger models -A600, A1200, the 2000 and 4000 were a bit better, there was enough in my A500 to keep me happy.

Kinda wish that someone would resurrect it. (silly idea in the laptop era) but it is something i'd give younger kids to start computing on before they have to deal with the bigger platforms.

that Amiga still impresses me today. sigh.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's various things out there, but if a 'new' A500 is what you are looking for, you might wanna check into this:

http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/review_of_the_minimig_v1.htm
    It's mostly geared to gaming, but can do most anything a floppy-drive-based Amiga 500 can, without the need for an old 1084 monitor.

There's also emulation, which is improving all the time.

Ever checked out Amiga.org?

3. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, some of the games from back then - Xenon 2, Shadow of the Beast, most Bitmap brothers games - still look pretty good today.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I love Amigas. I started my musical career using OctaMED on a 500+, and my 3D career on a 1200.
    I've owned a 500, 500+, 600, 1200, CD32, and 4000. I still have the 4000, souped up to a 4000/060. I'll never part with it, it's the first machine I ever ran Lightwave on. Ahhh, memories. :) 

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy Cow, Minimig looks kewl! that is like a mod/kitbash goldmine!

i tried a few years back with Amiga Emulators, but was soooo frustrated by em that i gave up. if they have improved at all recently, and are easier to use, i wouldn't mind going back to amiga software.

almost forgot that even on the A500, you could do animations- my favorite was this really short cartoon of batman lurking on a building and someone in the shadows hits him with a baseball bat and then you hear someone doing the old 60s batman theme...dunnna dunna dunna...but instead of Batman, they say, "Bat-Bat."
    silly, but not bad for a simple computer.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...I SO have to get a Minimig. I just wish it played Gods and Wolfchild...