The Amazon / Amazon JP New/Restocked/Shipped/Preorder Items Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smashs, Dec 16, 2012.

1. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    IIRC, RTS Windcharger was the same way and he was a $8-10 scout class toy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Slugslinger on Amazon now is $34.99, sold by Toy Dojo.
    Yeah, no thanks. Paying anything over retail for a figure that is now starting to hit BnM stores more regularly, especially from a 'respected' online retailer, is asinine.
    I know there's the fall-back excuse of 'saving gas/time/effort', but that's just impatience most of the time. Yeah, distribution isn't good, but there are always other venues to get the figures instead of paying these ridiculous prices from Toy Dojo or whoever else is peddling their high prices on Amazon or elsewhere.

Part, if not all of the blame goes on those paying these silly prices, thus validating them for the sellers to continue this inflation practice.
    I can say with certainty that I have NEVER paid more than retail for any modern figure. I either found it at retail, was lucky enough to see it for retail on Amazon/HTS/TrU, or waited and was able to acquire it later on from a private seller for less than retail.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

I hear you, and in general I agree. In fact, I’m the rare dope that actually enjoys hunting. But the fact that I’ve seen neither hide nor hair of fuggin Wave *5* is not exactly reassuring. It’s been all Breakaway/Twinferno/Hot Rod for the last three months.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh, it's most definitely frustrating. Totally understand that, but once people get over their "gotta have it now" attitude, the extortion prices will need to drop or the sellers risk a sale.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Slugslinger is still available (back ordered till the 9th). I just managed to order one.

6. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I almost pulled the trigger on Slugslinger. But I couldn't do it. $20 for a deluxe is where I get off the train.

7. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Guess you weren't Triggerhappy.

• Like Like x 7
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oho!

I sort of get that, but I also don't. If it was Combiner Wars or just general CHUG, I could sympathize, but you're getting two articulated figures, a boatload of paint apps and 2 or more accessories. I think it deserves a slightly higher cost than previous Deluxes. You're more than welcome to boycott, I just wanted to point out a few things is all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:
    Did you misread that as Grotusque?

10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    No. What?

11. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:

I was just confused by the large amounts of paint thing. I didn't notice a significant amount of paint on Slugslinger.

Which I guess doesn't matter too much since we're going up to twenty bucks and stickers for PotP deluxes anyway.

12. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    The tampographs are highly detailed, in place of stickers. The Titan Master jas a painted face.

EDIT: I should clarify. I used Slugslinger as a point of reference, but my post was intended to encompass almost all of the Titans Return Deluxes. It was in my head, but I forgot to write it down, so my post was technically incomplete.

Sorry for the confusion.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

:D 
    Guess I wasn't!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

There's a lot of impatience in this fanbase. If you're diligent and don't mind waiting, you can get everything you want from this hobby at a decent price. Now, there will always be figures that command a large sum, even years after the fact, exclusives, etc. But mainline Hasbro releases? The Slugslinger folks are paying twice retail for now will be available used on the B/S/T forum for half retail in a few years, as they chase the new hottest thing and sell off the old stuff. Now, I understand some may not want to wait that long...but just something to keep in mind as we all scramble for the latest and the greatest.

All that being said, I'm going to be getting the Legends Slugslinger, so I'm paying more anyway. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    ^There is a lot of truth in what you've said. In fact I use that philosophy to pick up 3rd party combiners for 40% off MSRP, if not more.

However, as one who decided to get a $20 Slugslinger, my rational was pretty straight forward.

1) This is the last wave of Titan Returns deluxes and around here, that pretty much means, I won't see it.
    2) If it does show up in the area it won't correspond with a sale (I'm not that lucky), so I'm looking at paying full price.
    3) Regular Deluxe price is $15 - $17 depending on which brick and mortar retailer you can find it at, so $20 shipped to my door isn't a bad deal.
    4) I don't have a ton of free times these days to make special trips to the store multiple times per week, in a vein attempt to find him.
    5) Even if I did have the free time, for $3 - $5 I can't make many special trips to Walmart/Target/TRU before I burn that up in gas.
    6) Early on I got wave 1 & 2 for $10 each and wave 3 for $12 each instead of the normal $15 - $17, so I can sacrifice $5 of my savings to get Slugslinger.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Eleyre

Eleyre TFW2005 Supporter

This was exactly my logic. Plus, ordering it with a $7.99 Twinferno made them both average around $14 a pop :) .

17. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    I read this post and all I could think was "BINGO!"

Look, I know $10-15.00 for a Legend, $20.00 for a Deluxe, $30.00 for a Voyager, $50.00 for a Leader and $150.00 for a Titan seems like a lot of money...because it is, but we tend to forget the other factors all while we're all "Gimme! ME ME ME!" ing about it.

There is the cost of time (which is irreplaceable), the cost of gas (which is wasteful and honestly damaging to the environment and detrimental to us all), but there's also the wear and tear on our vehicles driving back and forth for nothing. There's also the wear and tear on our bodies getting in and out of vehicles and walking around megastores to look for one handheld item. (Before anyone says "but that's exercise, that's good for you!" no, it's not exercise, and it does nothing for us. It's repeated motion, but that doesn't make it exercise and it certainly doesn't do anything for us because while we're in the store we see food and drinks we don't need but buy anyway.)

It also feeds more money into Walmart, while hurting other retailers who actually do need the revenue to survive, while Walmart could crap away a million bucks and not feel the sting. Now, granted, this $20.00 Slugslinger is coming from Amazon, so they're really no better than Walmart for the most part, but at least they're paying their employees a better wage and it's putting food on their tables. Though, it's fair to make the argument that Amazon works their employees like slaves, so is it really all it's cracked up to be? (And that's a fair point, but it's another discussion in another thread.)

I'd much rather pay $20.00 and have it shipped to me and go on about my business because I have far more important things to do with my time than to drive around only to come home empty-handed and still pay online pricing in the end, anyway.

Part of the problem is we've become complacent with pricing and expect the world to bow to our whims. We always say "Oh, when this thing hits $x.xx, I'm out!" and we always lie to ourselves. Much like a cigarette smoker. "When this pack hits $6.00, I'm quitting!" and it doesn't happen. They just go ahead and buy that carton of Marlboros and complain about it later. It took my dad having a massive heart attack for him to say "Okay, I'm well and truly out. I'm done." It wasn't the $4.00 a pack cigarettes, it wasn't the $6.00 a pack cigarettes, it was his body ringing the bell and calling it quits that did it. Same thing applies here. Oh, sure, we'll get a few people who'll actually stick to their guns and really mean it when they say they're out and not going to pay the $20.00. And you know what? I commend them. That takes a strong person and I can't fault them for it.

That said, the rest of the world (Europe and the UK, in particular) have been paying these prices for a long time and all we could do is say "Oh, boo hoo. Pay the cost to be the boss. Just be glad you're getting them and quit whining! Want better prices? Move to America!" and guess what? Our chickens have come home to roost. We're finally paying what they've been paying all along and now it's our turn to quit whining.

People seem to forget that the cost of living has gone up across the board. It should come as no surprise that toys fall under that as well. Regardless of whether or not they come from Amazon. (Or Walmart, for that matter.)
    Either you want it bad enough, or you don't. That's alright. You can do that. It just doesn't hurt to remember there are other factors going into that new $20.00 price tag and it's not some sinister bogeyman coming to get your wallet, it's just the way of the world and how things cost more these days.

Vote with your wallet, by all means, it just shouldn't come as a surprise that prices are higher, now.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeap, just wait some time and will be able to find a better price.

Just like the absurd price of 49.99 +tax for TLK Leader Dragonstorm. It is difficult to pay that considering the low quality of Transformers nowadays. I will wait and see, if the price is not better in the future, my money will be used in products with better quality from better companies.

19. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Nope. And from the looks of convention traffic, alot of people are sticking to not paying a cent over $9.99 for deluxes. Oh, they'll pay more and more to get through the door, but not one penny more on anything there.

I actually had a convention organizer in Pittsburgh, who raised his table and ticket prices over 90% in just over 4 years, tell _me_ to reevaluate _my_ pricing when I said he was squeezing dealers to death. He certainly is not delivering 90% more sales. My last show in December 2015, was 160% of the price and 40% of the sales. Nobody should set up at a toy show in late November or early December and walk away with less than $500. This December, he thinks he deserves $240. In April, he's planning to raise prices, again, to $260. April is an unbelievably slow show. Literally nobody even walks through the door on Friday or Sunday.

It helps to look at the first post-review pay stub with a 1% raise if you're lucky (that was probably eaten up by insurance premiums and then some) and then a pile of bills that all went up 6%. 6% is just the number in my head right now because Priority Mail is going up 6% next year so that we can continue coddling the Chinese with practically free shipping. Obviously, Amazon 3rd party sellers are in for another year of $4.49 flat vouchers, though, so look for more fallout from that. The jump from $18 to MSRP to $20 MSRP is 13% by the way. Anybody making that much more outside of a promotion?

20. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I've made the same rationale myself. Sadly, we've become conditioned to pay more to get final-wave figures.