The Amazing Shrinking Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HopelessHavoc, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelessHavoc

HopelessHavoc Junior Spaceman

With the new waves of figures from TF Prime hitting store shelves, and the pics from Toy Fair flooding in of the FoC figures, I've started to notice something somewhat disturbing to me: these new figures seem noticably smaller!

What is everyone's thoughts on this? I understand that Hasbro has to some time make changes, like reducing the figure size, to keep them in their respective price ranges. But would you rather see the figures shrink, or pay a little more for a Deluxe?

One of the things that bothers me the most about this is that new figures coming out of characters that I really want for my collection might end up being out of scale with the other figures I've purchased in the past couple years.

Take the following pic for example:
    [​IMG]

I know that Drift is from Genreations and Wheeljack and is from Prime RID, but they are both DELUXES! ..and look at that height difference! It's not enough to make Wheeljack look like a Scout class or anything, but he just looks too short. And imagine when figs like FoC Shockwave come out and he's shorter than the rest of your Deluxes.

Maybe I'm worrying too much, or maybe I don't have enough sympathy for Hasbro's costs and what not ..but who cares! I don't want my TF's shrinking down more and more over the years.

Thoughts?

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Worrying about scale and Transformers is your first problem. Transformers figures have never truly been to scale with each other.

I don't think the size difference is even something to really complain about. The figures we are getting, such as PRID Wheeljack, are still amazing and well engineered figures. Hasbro has done a great job in keeping the price the same while delivering us great, although smaller, figures.

3. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Doesn't bother me, I prefer smaller figures unless they're MG Gundams :D 

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I think they try to make scale with the line the figures are in. Like PRiD has its scale of figures, Generations (sometimes) has its own scale, and the Movies seemed to not even try.

Animated also did a good job at scaling, giving the character the respectable size it deserves. (With the acception of Bulkhead, Lugnut, and Sentinel.)

5. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Same here.... I like what Hasbro has delivered... gives me more shelf space for other important figures to shine!

6. HopelessHavoc

I'm not really worried about scale. I'm talking more about size in general. It just seems that a couple of years ago we were getting bigger Deluxes, Voyagers, etc. in general than we are now.

Like I said in the OP, I am just curious about other's thoughts on this. I'm not freaking out and claiming to stop collecting or anything :p 

7. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as the gererations like Shockwave are the same size as the rest Im ok with the Prime toys being a little smaller. Now if I get Shockwave and hes smaller than Thunderwing Im gonna have issues with them. lol.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I get what you're saying. But it is true, a couple of years ago we WERE getting larger figures. With the general state of the economy, higher wage rates, cost of materials, etc. it was bound to happen. I still think Hasbro is doing us a service, for lack of a better term, by delivering really good figures at prices we are use too.

9. HopelessHavoc

I totally agree with this. And I personally can't wait to get my hands on the FoC figures, regardless of any potential "shrinkage" lol

And one thing you mentioned in particular that is a good point is that, despite the size change, the quality and detail does not seem to be suffering. Which is great :thumb 

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Besides considerations of economy/cost, I reckon the advancements in toy technology means the same level of jointing and articulation can be achieved in a slightly smaller scale and Hasbro are taking advantage of that. It's not like the slight reduction in size has really made the figures any simpler (DotM transformation simplification for ease of play for children not included).

11. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Do any of you guys remember A/E/C?

The deluxe figures were HUGE... and pieces of shit with a plethora of technical problems.

More parts and more complex parts = more cost in designing the figure and more cost in tooling a mold. Even without the economy being shit, a reduction in size is to be expected because of current engineering technology.

12. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is nothing new. We went through this with the DOTM deluxes and voyagers. Hasbro is just continuing it with PRiD now... minus the mechtech gimmics.

That being said, I will be pissed if the new Generations toys are smaller than the previous Generations and Universe toys.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Eh, I'm cool with it.

This is all just part of the "great downgrade" or whatever that we learned about (or rather will learn about depending on your positioning in the fictional timeline) in the Beast Wars.

14. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, Drift is HUGE. Seriously. Big Deluxe.

Seeing the differences between FE and RiD molds of the SAME character convinced me that there is probably something going on here. However, it's just going to be aimless discontent till someone attacks this systematically, with a tape measure, a scale, and a spreadsheet. Finding out whether a significant shift in any measure of size is child's play if someone collects the data. Mass is a much better proxy of plastic quantity--the real limiting factor--but height is of more general interest it seems.

Of course, I've known for decades that in the very long run, plastics have to increase in price because they are still mostly a non-renewable resource...and there are far more important sectors of the economy than Transformers toys. Honestly I would rather see a slight price increase than big material gouging, but we all know that prices are kept artificially low by retailers and something has to give.

In theory, as long as engineering and sculpting keep improving then Deluxe and Voyager quality doesn't have to peak with their size.

...of course, putting an FE next to an RiD is also a little depressing in this respect.

15. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    ^ Exactly! I'm looking forward to all the new releases regardless of a couple of centimetre's height discrepancy.

There is a noticeable difference with figures from the last few years, but if you compare someone such as PRID Wheeljack next to an RID figure like Prowl, they're basically the same size!

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    As long as they're still good toys and not actually a full size class shorter I'm fine. Sizes fluctuate all the time. Compare Cybertron Crumplezone to Classics Optimus. Now compare him to TF1 Ratchet. It happens, but it goes away.

And as said, Drift is a large Deluxe. That's about as fair as comparing him to Lockdown.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Uh-oh... better prepare yourself to have ISSUES then!

FoC Shocky seems to be quite small.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Doesn't bother me. A good toy is a good toy even if it's 10% smaller.

19. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    And 20% cooler?

20. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    people always seem to forget that a lot of the classics line were quite small as well, compare classics Rodimus or bumblebee with universe or generations figures and your gonna find a big difference in heights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.