The Alternator Optimus Prime Sucks Club!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thorns2010, Apr 11, 2006.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    same here

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I just got mine through my BBTS preorder a day or so back and I really like him. He's not "ZOMG" the best Alternator out there, but he's certainly not worht hating. And for everyone that wants to kitbash him into something else... well... you're going to have to remove alot of Prime-esque design peices.

As far as his positive features... well, he's nicely articulated which was everyone's worst fear. Those knee joints do work. He's definently taller than all the other Alts. and is big and bulky in both modes giving him the look of a strong leader. He's got a very Laser/Armada Prime feel to him... it's very nice. He's got one of the best engine to gun transformations I've seen in the Alt line period and it creates a pretty nice looking gun to boot. Although the end result makes him look very "spychangerish" his transformation is very detailed and has some nice surprises in it.

My biggest grip with the toy is that certain parts (particularly his chest) are just heald in place by gravity or simply slide into place and can be knocked out if you're not careful. In these cases they should have added a clip or something... especially on the chest area. Also, and this could just be an issue with mine, the hip joints seem a little loose, but it's nothing that a little bit of nail polish won't cure. My other big grip with this figure is that the instruction sheet leeves certain parts of the transformation out... particularly the boosters that come out of his truck bed to help make room for his leg articulation. But bad instructions seems to be par for the course for Alts as of late.

Also, of note to a bunch of people saying that putting the front grill part down in front of his waist isn't part of the transformation. It is. It's in the instructions to do so. and it looks alot better if you do than if you don't.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Nothing a little paint can't fix to make that grill look good as a codpiece... :thumbs2: 

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

You know what I always say;

"Even a bad Alternator is still a good Transformer."

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Those are some sage words man... That was beautiful... :cry 

"And that's all I have to say about Vietnam..."

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Admittedly it could use just a little bit of paint, but even without the paint it looks better down than up, because the crotch area looks too small otherwise. If that makes any sense.

7. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I'll gladly join your club. I think Alternators Optimus Prime is a JOKE. I haven't been on this forum too long but it seems to be filled with toy collectors who collect almost ANYTHING Transformers related. From Transformers diapers to Transformers shampoo to Transformers headbands. Hasbro could literally take a piece of poop, slap a Transformers logo on it, call it the "rare re-color of BW Poopatron - only 10 created" and people here would buy it.

I don't think the people who truly dislike Alt Op should feel like they are in the minority. Alt Op is crap. From the reviews and complaints after the toy got released, it should be an easy conclusion that the toy sucks. It was crap even BEFORE the toy came out. No one here truly thought a Dodge Ram exemplified Optimus, did they? The aesthetic in itself is horrible. Spikes for shoulders? It makes it look ungainly.

There are a few of us that want Alternators to be a QUALITY line. I for one am not going to support crappy Alts by paying for them. Hasbro is getting lazy with their design and engineering. But with zealous toy collectors, they have no need to change their ways.

8. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    PM Prime's articulation was much worse. Which sucks because he was my 1st Prime and I got a soft spot for him.

9. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I'd join the club if they don't release a black version of it. My Decepticon alt army needs a leader dammit!

10. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I want him bad and will love him when I finally see one.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I don't 'hate' the toy, but Alt Prime is definitely in the bottom 25% of Alternators, IMO. I'm willing to overlook aesthetic faults (the shoulder pads), but there are a number of functional problems with the toy that make it a lot less enjoyable than it could have been (eg - shoulders/chest not locking in place, weak leg joints).

12. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I dont think any of us that dont like the slaggin-ugly-bastard-that-Hasbroken-mocks-us-by-calling-Optimus-Prime really needs a club. All we really need to do is what I will do - simply not buy the thing! :thumb 

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Jeez man... Take a few deep breaths... It's just a toy... :thumbs2: 

14. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't say I'll like Prime or not until I find one. He'll be plentiful enough not to waste miles on a toy hunt, but when I find him I'll get him. It wasn't worth the extra 50% to me to order it online. Once he is in hand, then I can form an opinion.

15. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    G1 Prime had all of that actually....

EDIT: Nevermind...........everyone beat me to it....

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Im happy to get any Alt Prime they throw at us since they already gave us an MP/20th Anniversary OP. He's still going to look Prime with the rest of the Alts in bot mode. Since it's their head molds that really pay tribute to the G1 characters the most. They've already used the semi (twice) and we've been craving for a pickup for a long time now, finally they answer and wah fukn wah!
    Vehicle mode, it's not like you can see him anyway from all the Vettes :lol 

17. Razerwire

News Credits:
    He can be easily dubbed ALT Ginrai... Just like ALT Drag Strip, ALT Overdrive, and ALT Jazz...:D 

18. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    ...wow...

Dude, that's the exact reason why anyone who attaches themselves with the term "fandom" gets a bad rep. Chill out man... it's a toy, if you don't like it don't buy it. Period. However, please don't assume that someone who buys this thing is such a ****** as to buy "poopotron" as you say. No one here is that stupid. And, being a father, I probably would buy TF clothes, diapers and what not for my little girl if Hasbro ever fealt so inclind to make them.

19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well said Razerwire. He can be Alt Prime to me and Alt Ginrai to you or whomever else.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    The only thing that really sucks about Alt Prime for me is that he's not available at Target yet! Like him or not, he's not available at brick & mortar yet.