The Alt Rodimus conspiracy

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ogami Daigoro, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Okay, so we have reports of Hasbro letting dealers and scalpers walk away with loads of Alt Rodimus (amongst other SDCC exclusives) while leaving the fans with... well, mostly nothing in comparison. So are they getting kickbacks from these dealers and scalpers that we don't know about? I'm sure Hasbro could get away with more widely distributing some of their more popular stuff at higher prices, but it appears that letting dealers and scalpers take the flack for higher prices may be a tactic they use so as to appease fans in saying that they even made the toys in the first place while having a low list price. It does save Hasbro shipping and distribution costs to go through dealers and scalpers in that way... Not to mention server space, etc. with their frakked up website.

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    While I am also pissed about not having been able to get Rodimus while I was at SDCC...and yes it IS Hasbro's fault.

To say they were selling them to scalpers and dealers for a kickback is ridiculous...really.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    huh?

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exhibitors and dealers at SDCC have just as much right to buy exclusives as we do. Next time you can become an exhibitor too and then you get to buy the exclusives before anyone else comes into the room.

Also on Wednesday the limit for exclusives was 4. That is why dealers were walking away with a box full of alts. They come 4 to a case. Regular people were also getting cases this way. until things got out of control as far as the line and the "line ticket-strategy" became implemented by Hasbro. Yes it sucked. No there wasn't a conspiracy.

5. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don’t know if they are taking kickbacks but I won’t rule the possibility out. I will say that networking is imperative. These online retailers and dealers have developed relationships with Hasbro over the years. When you have professional relationships with people in important places you tend to benefit from a certain level of access that is off limits to the general public. Luck of the draw is also a very important factor. Some scalpers were just luckier than others and as much as we complain about scalping without them offering the items on eBay and forums, some people wouldn’t be able to purchase the items they want at a price they will accept. It takes both supply and demand to set price.

6. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Well...a friend of a friend who knows a guy who saw a dude's sister that may or may not have dated this other guy's brother last week said they purposely made a small supply of Rodimus figures so as to appease the alien lesbian nazi hookers who sent the order from high command, signed by l. ron hubbard himself. sounds credible to me. damned hasbro!

7. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't forget about the second shooter Hasbro had on the grassy knoll.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

The problem is that Hasbro are a bunch of idiots when its comes to selling exclusives and collector's items. No conspiracy...they're just fucking dumb.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, the first time I heard about them using tickets at sdcc brought back bad memories of botcon when they started handing out tickets saturday morning to let people in to buy the attendee exclusives *shudders*

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    If it wasn't for the fact that I just plain had fun (and got my AAA personalized Harley sketch)...Hasbro's "issues" with tickets would have ruined SDCC for me.

11. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I don't know what happened and I don't presume to judge, but somehow I'm not surprised. :) 

12. eatwood

eatwood Well-Known Member

did they sell Rodimus on HTS?

13. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are supposed to soon, but nobody knows what time he goes online.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I was hearing that HTS thinks they will be completely out of stock by the time SDCC is over and that he may not be available online.

15. eatwood

eatwood Well-Known Member

that sucks. Man, i thought i could get through HTS.

16. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They might run out at the convention. They will have seperate stock ready for online most likely.

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I heard convention leftovers go online.

18. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't be ridiculous. There most likely wont be convention left-overs. There would HAVE to be a separate stockpile for online.

19. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Not that I'm interested in them at all but they should probably enact a 1 or 2 per customer next time.

20. AltAddict

AltAddict TFW2005 Supporter

That was the theory last year...

I think they did the limits a bit backwards: 4, then 3, then 1 per person? Why not the other way around?