The All-Purpose Quitting-Smoking Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Here's a new thread for everyone to take part in. Who here has quit smoking and can share their experience with others who are interested in quitting? Let's hear your experience, and be honest. Those who want to overcome their addiction should know it's not going to be an easy road ahead of them.

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

there's already a quit smoking thread.

3. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

That one is only for the OP's experience. Other experiences and opinions don't seem to be welcome there, so this is the all-purpose thread. Anyone is free to post their opinion here, and free to disagree (as long as it's civil and there's no vulgar or childish name calling).

Since this is a touchy subject for some egos though, let me make this clear: people struggling with addiction are sometimes SUPER SENSITIVE. Even looking at them the wrong way can set them off. But I encourage people here to be honest and not walk on egg shells for these super sensitive types. Just because someone says you're rude or insulting, doesn't necessarily mean you are; their perception may just be out of whack because of withdrawl. We all know addiction is not a breeze to break. If anyone here has been successful for a long period of time with overcoming an addiction, please relate your journey, complete with the trials and tribulations. People should be aware that it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

4. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:

so have you actually recently quit smoking or are you just looking for other random reasons to start threads.

5. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I quit many years ago cold turkey. When did you quit and how did you do it?

6. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    The way I quit smoking was by saying to myself, I have x amount of time without smoking, so why would I waste all that time not smoking. I use to love smoking so that did work.

The thing I find is that if you can with stand the first month with people smoking around you, you can then make it to the six month area. Then you should be Scott free. Anything after six months, you are the one making the decision to smoke, not the addiction. So find something else to reduce stress.

Once you have something else that reduces stress for 6 months, then you won't ever smoke again.

I use to smoke 2+ packs a day.

7. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

This is the kind of message I wanted to see here. People taking a hard, honest look at themselves and asking themselves the tough questions, and also looking at others who are smoking and saying "I don't care." Not letting what they're doing influence you. Not letting their smoke send you back into addiction. You need to learn that it's okay to turn your back on others for the sake of your own health.

Thanks for your post, very inspiring.

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I don't know if me cuddled up in a corner of a club of rocking back and forth to not smoke is inspiring. Also you don't have to turn your back on anyone. You just need to realize smokers are always going to be around and you need to figure out how to control your urges.

Like I said, first month or two is all addiction, after six mons it is on you. So if you want to avoid smokers, avoid them the first two months. Not forever.

9. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I think it's an image that people trying to quit should keep in mind. It's not pretty. But that goes for anything that's worthwhile. Too many people want things easy and comfortable. They use these shortcuts and crutches and then usually go back to smoking because they didn't build up any real self-discipline while they were quitting. If you do it on your own, you'll be stronger down the road when the cravings come back.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I used the patch to quit. Worked for me. Even though, I was a zombie on that damn patch.

Keep in mind quiting cigarettes is harder to do then quitting crack. In rehab, you are supposed to quit anything that is addictive. The one thing that most people cannot quit is smoking. So whatever way you do it, just get it done and keep at it.

No one else is to blame for your smoking, just you. Same as everything else in life.

11. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

It's this kind of lack of egotism that's necessary to overcome any kind of addiction. To be able to look at yourself and take responsibility and say "I did this to myself." Too many people are blamers. They want to blame others or certain situations for why they need to smoke. Once you start blaming just yourself, that's when you're finally able to do something about it.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    There's already a thread to share your how you quit smoking. Creating a duplicate thread is unnecessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.