The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    She's also a genuinely fantastic and fun character.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Ok, didn't know they existed. Based on the cover I almost thought they were introducing the idea of Laura having a daughter, lol.

Honestly, the more I read about the All-New Wolverine title, the more I wish I had picked it up from the start.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    It's worth backtracking and catching up on. It's a really good book, the best one Marvel currently publishes for my money.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Comixology put a bunch of Marvel tpbs on sale for between 50%-75% off, which is pretty unbeatable, and I picked up the first volume of Tom King's Vision series. I'd never even heard of this book, and it is really, really good. Volume 2, which finishes the series is full price, though. That's how they get you lol

Also picked up volume 1 of the Doctor Strange Marvel Masterworks by Lee and Ditko for $5. Can't beat that, either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Anyone reading the new Guardians? Duggan and Kuder's new run looks interesting, love that they're bringing back elements of the Annihilation era back.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Well I am now halfway through the Roger Stern Omnibus (the next issue is Hobgoblin's first appearance) and pretty much every issue of Amazing has been just as good, if not better, than the Spectacular issues. Reading Spidey take on Juggernaut was quite interesting, but I really enjoyed the four parter that dealt with the Brand Corporation and Roxxon. That was some really interesting stuff. However, I have a few questions for those that know about the other series because despite reading all of these issues in order, I'm vexed on a few items.

1. Aunt May has suddenly set up some type of her own old folks home, but this was never previously established in the issues before it was mentioned in this book. How did this happen? When did it happen? Where did she get the money?

2. When did Peter resign from his teaching job? One issue he is a teacher and the next he is talking about picking up his belongings becuse he quit. What? That seems random.

3. Peter briefly mentioned that Doc Ock and the Owl are having some crime war going on. Have those issues been collected at all?

4. I'm not confused on this bit, but want to know more out of curiosity. Can someone tell me what story the original web wings got destroyed in? IN the Cobra/Hyde story he said they were destroyed and he didn't have the ability to make new ones until now.

Anyway, I also read the annual that introduced a new Captain Marvel and the fact that it was drawn by both Romita's was amazing.

7. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I got Hawkeye to finish up the Jessica Jones crossover. The art and tone of the book feel like a great spiritual successor to Fraction's run.

I also picked up Black Bolt #1, which was great until the last page. Does nobody understand how to write this character?

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Well it's called the Roger Stern Omnibus so any stories not by him wouldn't be included. Marvel had revolving writing arcs back then. One writer would do a few issues, take a break for a couple issues then come back. Also many big stories would be told in Annuals of giant sized editions. There were 2 on going books at that time so if it didn't happen in one it happened in the other. Or every so often a Marvel Team up book.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I love how cohesive everything was during the Shooter era. When Stan Lee was writing and editing every book right at the very beginning of the Marvel Age was the only other time before or since that Marvel has been that cohesive (not to mention Shooter's focus on every single issue of every comic being accessible to a new reader). For all the complaining from various creators at the time about Shooter's hands-on iron grip over everything, you can't argue with the results. So many of Marvel's most iconic runs on characters ever came from that period. Claremont/Byrne-Cockrum-Smith-JRjr Uncanny, Miller/Janson Daredevil, Simonson Thor, etc.

It was only when Shooter left and DeFalco took over, attempting to take the focus off of writing and put it on art, that Marvel fell off the rails for the very first time in their history since FF #1.

10. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah Shooter got a lot of flak, but you can't deny the results, Christopher Priest actually wrote about his stay under Shooter at Marvel in his website, interesting stuff, particularly about the politics and creator environment at the time

11. Dr Kain

So I've read another batch of issues from the Roger Stern Omnibus.

First off, the issues with Hobgoblin have been pretty stellar thus far. I loved how the first two parter had him not ready to fight Spidey and then the second duo where he used a goon to act as him and had the guy killed. That was badass. I already like Rodney better than Jason. Although, I do have to laugh because Peter makes a comment about how Jack O'Lantern could be the Hobgoblin. :haha: If only he knew.

In addition, the two parter that featured Vulture and his origin were well done. It's pretty amazing to think it took them 239 issues before they revealed his backstory.

On the other hand, I found the Lance Bannon and Amy stuff to be quite mediocre. They weren't bad, but I am missing part of their story since they've clearly been around for longer than the stories in this Omnibus. Not sure why they felt the need to bring MJ back though since she is just as selfish as ever. At least they got rid of that horrid short curly hair do I last saw her with in the Lee/Romita Sr books. :D 

It's nice see Harry back again and the day dreaming issue was fun.

Lastly, I know this is a Stern only book, but I do wish I was able to read all of the Spectacular stories that coincide with all of the events taking place here. Oh well. Maybe they'll someday collect them in either Omnibus or Epic form.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hope you get the chance. That was an amazing (um, you know what I mean) era for Peter Parker, Spectacular Spider-Man. Spectacular's art wasn't always as good as Amazing's, but still a really great run of comics. Mantlo was slamming it out of the park -- as he was wont to do -- and it was still good when Milgrom took over writing. As opposed to the Peter/MJ stuff in Amazing, Spectacular focused more on the Spider-Man (not Peter)/Black Cat relationship.

Come to think of it, pretty much everything Mantlo was doing back then was stupendous.

13. Dr Kain

I'd also like to know why Debbie left town, why Peter just up and quit his teaching job, why and how Aunt May and Nathan got her old house back and left the old folks home, and I really want to read this Ock/Owl gangwar stuff.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's why I don't like the collections of just one creator. I remember they did something even worse in the George Perez JLA hardcover. They started the book on part 2 of an event, because the whole reason George got the book was that the regular artist, Dick Dillin, suddenly died. So not only do you not get the entire beginning of the story, which explains WHY the JLA & JSA are teaming up, not to mention who Darkseid is (hadn't been used at that point since Kirby left) and where he came from, but it's a gigantic slap in the face of loooooooooongtime and iconic JLA artist Dick Dillin. I mean, So stupid. I mean, I get that it's a Perez book, but that doesn't make an incomplete story any more coherent or enjoyable.

15. Dr Kain

That's how the Neal Adams books are with the Batman/Ra's story. They don't include the first appearance of Talia.

Now the Stern book does actually include a couple issues in it not written by Stern beause one of them is Part 1 of a story.

I also wish there was a collection of the non-Stern Hobogoblin stories. I want to read the issues where Flash and Ned were revealed to be Hobby and when Jason actually took over. My introduction to Hobby was Return of the Sinister Six, Name of the Rose, and an issue of Spider-Man that had Hobby on the cover behind Spidey.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

So Secret Empire #2's ending...
    It seems a Steve Rogers is back. Is he the real one, a Ultimate one, a alternative universe one, or a time displaced one???

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I guess they skip the Novick chapters, too. Rendering the whole storyline pointless. Those Neal Adams books are garbage anyway. His recoloring job is embarrassingly bad, and the random faces he redrew in his modern style don't fit with the rest of the comics. Not only has his rendering and hatching style changed, but the inking is completely different looking.

That George Lucasing of classic comics material is a huge pet peeve of mine. Bolland's redux of Killing Joke is another prime example of making something worse with needless alterations, imo. Bolland's coloring, I get (even if I don't agree with it), because I remember hearing about his complaining about it all the way back to the '80s when the book first came out. But the art changes he made are inexcusable and ruin it for me. Taking the oval off of the chest bat-emblem, for one thing... Accomplishes nothing but remove the story from its place in history, and even worse... he didn't redraw the bat. So it's still the same oval-shaped bat, just without the oval around it, which makes no sense at all and looks ugly as hell. And Bolland -- as great of a penciller and inker as he is -- has a little kid's knowledge of color. He may have had a problem with Higgin's palette, but at least Higgins actually knew something about color theory, the environment and light sourcing's effect on color, etc. Bolland colors everything like a kid with a coloring book. Batman's grey is grey no matter where he is or how he's lit. Batman's blue is blue no matter where he is or how he's lit. Batman's skin is skin color, no matter where he is or how he's lit, etc., etc. Bolland, your coloring ^$%#ing sucks. Not to mention what a slap in the face it was to Higgins, who is a billion times more skilled and talented as a colorist than you are to begin with. I wonder how Bolland would feel if DC done an anniversary edition that had kept the original coloring but let Higgins REDRAW the entire issue. Get your dumb ego in check and stick to the job you're actually good at.

tl;dr: I hate the George Lucasing of classic comics. We, as a society, seem to have outgrown the need to ruin classic black and white movies by colorizing them. This is essentially the same thing. When is the comics community going to catch up to what the rest of the world already understands? They should just reprint stuff in as close a form to its original presentation as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dr Kain

I don't get how the recoloring job makes it garbage. I didn't even know they were recolored until I got the Brave and the Bold Bronze Age Omnibus a few months ago and was like, "Hey, the artwork is different here." I looked up why and discovered he redid things. I think the Adams job looks great and it gives me a reason to give those Adams books after DC finally releases all of the Bronze Age Batman stuff in Omnibus form.

19. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    [​IMG]

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

All of the above.