The All New Marvel Now Thread (Renamed and Rebooted!)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jul 3, 2012.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that Harras masterpiece. [/sarcasm] And then she had amnesia for a while, which explained why she didn't come back sooner. I guess my idea wasn't so original. Still, it's unbelievable no one could come up with anything better than Peter suddenly becoming as stupid as Johnny Blaze.

Also, I hope you're being sarcastic about JMS's run being brilliant.

2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Actually no. JMS is what got me back into Spider-Man. I stopped reading around the time the clone stuff came out because I thought the whole thing was stupid (funny though because now I want to get those Omnibuses and read the whole thing). JMS told some truly great stories and introduced Morlun, had that story about a kid who got bullied as a child that went crazy when he got super powers, the cloned children of Norman and Gwen, Aunt May discovering Petere's identity, etc. And not to mention the artwork was exceptional.

I loved everything he did up until that The Other storyline. That is where it started to lose me and then fully lost me during the Back in Black and Civil War stuff, but it was One More Day/Brand New Day where I completely dropped the book for good.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  4. Dr Kain

These arrived today:

[​IMG]

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Didn't she end up kidnapped? and then needed time away? But yeah that was a terrible time for the Spidey books, really grasping at straws figuring out what to do with Spidey after they brought him back to replace Ben Reilly.

As for JMS' run, while it's not something I'd consider brilliant, it was still a good run that stabilized the Spidey books after that terrible relaunch. It definitely went off the rails towards the end, especially with Sins Past and One More Day, though that was probably more editiorial, but I loved the early issues with Ezekiel, Morlun and Aunt May finding out about him being Spidey. It was also complemented by fantastic JR JR art.

6. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yeah the End of JMS's run had a lot of editorial mandates that ruined the stories. He even admitted as much. He basically said he was the employee and wrote what the editor wanted. The whole Osborn thing, and Mephisto was all Joe Q. Sins of the past and onward after that was affected by editorial mandates and events from crossovers.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The end of his run is of course terrible. But I hated the beginning as well (great JR jr art aside). There are very few things I hate in comics more than the hacky "EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW WAS WRONG!!" approach. "You know how Stan Lee and Steve Ditko -- the creators of the character -- thought this was the origin of Spider-Man's powers? Well, those idiots didn't know what they were talking about. Here's the REAL story!" That really rubbed me the wrong way right from the beginning.

And his Aunt May was kind of the same thing. I don't mind changes built on history. If you want to say Aunt May became a stronger woman, maybe even show a little of that happening, that's fine. But to retcon it that she's ALWAYS been stronger than Peter gave her credit for is really flying in the face of Lee & Ditko (again) not to mention Gerry Conway and DECADES' worth of first person narration from Aunt May herself in thought balloons, which show beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was not a strong woman and that a strong shock could have hospitalized or killed her. It's not that Aunt May is some favorite character of mine, but this kind of disregard and disrespect of previous creators is a recurring theme in JMS' comics work. When he introduced Morlun, he described him in an interview as a vampire, "But this time, we're going to avoid the cliche -- This time, it's a vampire that feeds off of PSYCHIC energy!" Hey, Jackoff, you ever hear of longtime Spider-Man villain Morbius the Living Vampire? That's what HE is. And Morbius had JUST appeared in Spider-Man comics within a year or so before your run began. Whoops. Why don't you quit patting yourself on the back for five minutes about how original you are and maybe read some Spider-Man comics? Then you would have known this.

He did the exact same kind of thing with Thor. Paired with an astoundingly good artist that made me want to buy the book, but immediately rubbed me the wrong way with his self-aggrandizing attitude in interviews about his mistaken belief he was doing something original. About moving Asgard to Earth so that it would become part of Americans' lives. Oh, he was really pleased with himself for this one. Except Dan Jurgens had JUST done that in the previous series immediately before JMS's relaunch. JUST done it. It was the years long storyline that finished off that series. And Jurgens' story was a billion times more interesting (and came out on time), imo. Why not read some comics when you take over a series? And what the hell are the editors doing? They bear some culpability for not at least pointing these things out.

Anyway, I was one of the few people who was overjoyed when he announced his retirement from comics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dr Kain

You're taking it way too seriously dude. It's not mean to say Stan Lee was wrong, it was meant to add to the Spider-Man mythos.

As for the Aunt May thing, you have to look at it from my point of view. I never read the original stuff until last year and what I just read, so I could only base my views on JMS' stuff on what I read in the 90s and the cartoons. I never knew Aunt May was so fragile that ever 10th issue she had some sort of attack that sent her reeling into the hospital.

Good god, as much as I love Stan Lee, that plotline and Peter always getting sick/injured got annoying. I think he had a cold three times in the 67 issues I read and injured his arm five times.

Anyway, I'm sure if I were to read the JMS run today I would feel a bit different about it (although, I'd still buy the Omnibus of it).

9. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

10. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Sooooo, speculation on the blurred out clawed figure on the X-Men Blue june solicits...

Is there any doubt that it's not James Hudson? Have we seen him since the implosion of the Ultimate U? I don't recall him showing up since the last (Brian Woods) iteration of Ult X-Men. It makes sense that he's around I guess, and it gives them a younger "Wolverine" character besides OML to buy time until the real deal comes back. Still, it seems very obvious, to the point that I wonder why they even bothered making it a secret.

Could it be anyone else? I doubt it.

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

12. Mudslide

Mudslide Familiar and faceless

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Thunderbolts is on Hiatus so they can use MacGuffin girl to fix Steve at the end of the next Major crossover Secret Empire.
    Which according to solicitations will cross-over into half the books. Which means I won't be reading them.

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  15. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

So I was probably right. At the very least, I'm in good company with my guess.

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  17. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yay, more mainstream variants. Just what people are asking for...

And you know shit is getting real when Kain is telling someone they are taking something too seriously (but he's right fwiw).

18. GoLion

GoLion -Sad Panda-

News Credits:
    Agreed.

19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Well, the whisper that made Thor unworthy
    has been revealed.
    I know different people like different things,
    but how someone can think this is a good
    idea baffles me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Don't worry they are introducing an older 'Ultimate Thor" to confuse us even more.

• Like Like x 1