The affect of frigid temps on Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jametron, Aug 6, 2009.

1. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    In TF1 it is revealed that Megatron is trapped on Earth due to crashing into the Arctic and basically freezing. He is then kept on ice via the government for many years, keeping him dormant, up until his revival.

Once defeated at the end of the film his body, along with the other felled Decepticons, is dropped into (supposedly) the deepest abyss on the planet... and I'm assuming it's damn cold down there.

How is it then that the Decepticons that dive into the abyss to revive Magatron in TF2 are not affected by the freezing temps that would naturally be present at that depth?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think you've just revived the "if Transformers are vulnerable to cold, how come they can travel through space" question. The answer is "the people behind the films have no idea how anything works."

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It wasn't the cold that got to Megs in the arctic, it was the fact that when he crash landed, he melted a lot of ice and snow that then froze around him, in his gears & whatnot, and that's what stopped him from escaping on his own.

4. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    "It's cold in space? How? There's all those stars out there.

And if its so cold, why's everything black out there instead of icy white? Eh?"

5. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Mmmmm, I don't know... How about when Sector 7 successfully brings down a quickly moving, continually spastic Bumblebee with snow blowers?

Seems to me it's more about the temperature, then getting some ice in some joints.

*shrugs*

6. 1govnor1

1govnor1 Giggidy

Let's see if I can remember anything from Astronomy class:

Because the space between each star is soo vast. Think of a candle, put your hand near the flame and it's hot but if you move your hand away the temperature drops.

Ice is white not because it's cold, it's because there are air bubbles trapped inside. Space is black because, once again, of the distance between each star.

7. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Dude, you know that was a joke right? ;)  Thus the quotation marks. I've seen those questions asked in various topics about this very subject on Transformers boards through the years. I don't know how, but there's people that still ask them.

8. Optimus Sledge

If space is a vacuum, how does the sun's heat reach Earth, huh? HUH?!?!?!

9. Spyro

Spyro Banned

Via a different method of heat transfer.

10. nemetoad

nemetoad Well-Known Member

One word: Ice. Ice was the problem that exists while being in the arctic/ being forced-frozen by Sector 7. The Abyss? There's no ice down there. Also, the Abyss was supposed to crush them via pressure. Apparently the military didn't do their calculations right.

So really, I think they have protection from freezing temperatures, just not huge ice buildup at a rapid rate. Megatron crashed - thus he had no time to react to rapid freezing. Fluids froze from a lack of motion/use, gears stopped turning, whatever. He became a statue.

11. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Quoted for truth.
    Sadly, most of the questions related to plot logic and transformer tech in the movie probably have the above answer. Oh sure, we can rationalize and make up our own explanations as to why or how things occurred but that's what they are: Fan explanations of what usually are just gaping plot holes or things nobody cared enough about to think through to the logical end point.

Some films stand up to close scrutiny. The Transformers movies are not amongst them. Best just to watch and enjoy the ka-booms IMHO.:) 

12. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Ugh. You haven't read a single other post in this thread, have you?

Of all the things to find issue with in the movies, this is pretty much the one thing that is not actually an issue.

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Simple, Bumblebee, and most other bots for that matter, are more susceptible to colder temperatures. This is why they have protoform-modes, so they can survive the extremes in space. Megs on the other hand doesn't need to revert to a protoform, as his body can survive on it's own, and he can travel threw space in his normal alt-mode. The factor that caused him to freeze up in the arctic was the water around him returning to it's frozen state before he could remove himself from it.

14. Optimus Sledge

Doesn't Starscream also fly off into space at the end of the first film? So I guess now that Starscream AND Megatron don't need a protoform mode to travel through space. Gee, good thing you're here to pull speculation out of your ass and explain everything! :tongue: 

15. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

No, I read the thread. I was simply pointing out that examining the details of how Transformer technology works in the movies is probably not going to yield much in the way of consistency, due to the fact that it wasn't really written to stand that kind of close scrutiny. That's all.:) 

16. AximusPrime

AximusPrime Well-Known Member

The snow blowers weren't what brought him down, it was the two helicopters that shot him with some sort of cables and restrained prior to the ground troops who used those fire extinguisher type devices. Also, Bumblebee was never completely under like Megatron was. He was still somewhat awake but out of it.