The Academy Awards Thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Here's the list of the Oscar nominees. My picks in bold:

Tuesday at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly (AP) -- Hills, Calif.:
    1. Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

3. Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

5. Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

6. Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

7. Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding," Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Water," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal."

9. Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Iris Yamashita and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House."

11. Art Direction: "Dreamgirls," "The Good Shepherd," "Pan's Labyrinth," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "The Prestige."

12. Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia," "Children of Men," "The Illusionist," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Prestige."

13. Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Dreamgirls," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

14. Sound Editing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

15. Original Score: "Babel," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German," Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal," Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth," Javier Navarrete; "The Queen," Alexandre Desplat.

16. Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up" from "An Inconvenient Truth," Melissa Etheridge; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town" from "Cars," Randy Newman; "Patience" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

17. Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

18. Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," "Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District," "Recycled Life," "Rehearsing a Dream," "Two Hands."

20. Film Editing: "Babel," "Blood Diamond," "Children of Men," "The Departed," "United 93."

21. Makeup: "Apocalypto," "Click," "Pan's Labyrinth."

22. Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet," "Lifted," "The Little Matchgirl," "Maestro," "No Time for Nuts."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)," "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)," "Helmer & Son," "The Saviour," "West Bank Story."

24. Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Poseidon," "Superman Returns."

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oscar-Nominated Borat FTW!

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

And the Oscar goes to:

*rustlerustle*

Who the Fuck Cares?

*applause*

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Babel - God that movie sucked, I knew someone in it would be up for an Oscar though because it was all pretentious and artsy.

5. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

While I agree that the movie pretty much did suck, the maid's performance was great.

Plus, it had a cooter shot. You don't see that all the time.

6. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No nomination for Rocky Balboa in cinematography and editing is fucking heresy, that film looked great and the cuts from shot to shot were some of the best I've seen in a while. Oh well, it's all political bullshit these days anyway.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    when is the awards ceremony?

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    February 25th

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    thanks...i thought they were always on a monday night though? but what do i know...

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Geez, that list of nominees is a whole bottle of ambien.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My sentiments exactly.

12. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always like being able to say now Academy Award Nominated in front of someone you wouldn't think of being nominated (think the girl from Dawson's Creek)

Now this year we have: Academy Award nominated actor Marky Mark. w00t

13. Omnibus Prime

Yyyeah. Can you feel it baby? I do too.

:confused2 

14. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i own his first 2 cds. someday i want to meet him and get them signed...

15. Omnibus Prime

There were two?! o_O 

16. Lumpy

News Credits:
    hahaha, yeah, he probably only did two...i got the first one for 50 cents and the 2nd for a quarter on some mega uber sale one day....they were too funny and too cheap to pass on....

17. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

What the hell??? How can one movie....ONE movie have three songs in the running for best orginal song??? You telling me no other movies that came out in the last year had good orginal music??

18. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bah on Babel getting so many nominations. It bored me. I'm not opposed to filmns that are mostly subtitled, but Babel was just too darn long. I hope Clint gets the directing nod for 'Iwo Jima.' For most of the film, he had to direct through a translator. That's pretty hardcore. As for animated films...where's 'Over the Hedge?' Hedge was a much funnier, more original film than 'Cars,' which was just Doc Hollywood on wheels. I wasn't a huge fan of 'Blood Diamond,' but won't deny that Leo did a great job in it. I think the Dreamgirls 'supporting' actor/ actress actually carried the whole film, and deserve the win. At least Chris Cornell's horrible Bond theme didn't get a nomination.

-Tony!

19. Omnibus Prime

Ju do know Over the Hedge is based on a comic strip right? Perhaps the fact that it's not original, but adapted enters into it? I honestly don't know..the category is only 5-6 years old. I would say that Over the Hedge belongs on there instead of one of the other two, but not Cars.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree completely..