The "AAAARRGH!! I missed it on eBay!" thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cal, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *sigh* Have you ever had one of those days where you were watching a Transformer scrupulously on eBay all week, hoping to be the one to snag that prize you've been searching for... only to be outbid at the last second?

Henkei Ratchet is one of those figures I've been wanting to get since, well, since he came out. But with the insane prices for MISB figures, I could only afford one loose locally, which is a pretty rare occurrence. When I found the first such auction a few months ago, it sold for £41.00. I was unprepared and let it pass, but noted the price for future reference. The second auction was last month, which I was determined to get now that I had set aside the money for it. But while I was waiting, RipCurl mentions that ToyHunting is offering a MISB Henkei Ratchet for only £25. I decided to take a chance on it, since I probably wouldn't find a better deal anywhere else. I should have listened to the warnings about ToyHunting's dodgy reputation, because it's been over a month and I still haven't received my purchase nor any response to my requests for the tracking number. The result is that I'm now in the middle of a PayPal claim (again, with no sign of communication from the seller) while the Ratchet I was watching on eBay sold for a pitiful £34. :( 

So while I'm going through the PayPal claim, a third Henkei Ratchet shows up on eBay and I was single-mindedly adamant to get this one. I was quite happy to fork over £40+ for it, but decided to bid over fifty just to be safe. So I try to bid snipe with £57 and, guess what, someone else had bid that exact amount seven minutes ago. AAAAARRGH!! £57! When the last two auctions sold for £41 and £34 respectively? Why does this always happen to me? :banghead: 

I suppose I deserve this, but it still stings nonetheless. I mean, why is it the one auction I really want is the one that gets the highest bids? Anyone else feel this way about similar auctions?

2. dkr7

dkr7 "Argh' Hexagonal Nuts!"

News Credits:
    it was me :tongue:  i wasnt going any higher than 57 and i initially wasnt going higher than 47 but i have to complete my season 1 bots, sorry mate. I know its more than i should pay but ironhide and ratchet are in my top 5 autobots, so he's worth it

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh this is awkward :lol 

4. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Lol.

Yes this has happened to me. Many-a times.

5. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Can anyone else feel the awkwardness rising? :lol 

6. Rockdown

Rockdown Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It happened to me twice with movie masterpiece starscream. I won the 3rd auction. However, the seller did not post it. eBay repaid me.

7. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Snatched away with seconds left?

-Too many times to count.

I lost so many times on Animated Arcee so many times I ended up over-paying to win.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I pretty much only bid at the last second; what's the point of bidding any earlier, unless you have a huge max bid?

Yesterday I was watching a Cybertron Metroplex... but operating on my "bid at the last second" method, I fumbled and didn't get in my bid quick enough... and then I found one with a Buy It Now that was only $5 higher (including shipping), so I didn't miss too much :p 

9. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're lucky I'm not a mod or I'd ban you on the spot.

Okay, you won fair and square, and I missed my chance anyway. But do me a favour. When you get Ratchet, I want you to love him like a son. Treat him well and give him everything I would have given him as if he were my own. *sob*

10. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Happens all the time to me, since I work til late night....

11. dkr7

News Credits:
    Will do, he'll take center stage among my classics collection, i hope you get one soon mate, sorry to be a pain.

12. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

It really depends..if you have a budget or plainly an absolute maximum price you are willing to pay for something, it is easier to just lay it down and get it out of the way rather than wasting time checking on an auction and rebidding up to your maximum all the time. It's also sometimes hard or impossible to watch an auction in the last moments, if auction ending times are particularly late at night or at a time in the day you are busy.

Conversely, if it's something you have to have, then you may not pay budget or time a second thought.

13. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Dude, you were supposed to say "Well my dog does need a new chew toy..."

14. dkr7

News Credits:
    i bid 47 straight up as my max thinking if he goes for more then i can accept that, but i watched the auction and saw my bid go and thought its only another tenner so i bid 57 and left it to end, came back a little after it had ended and it was dead on 57, how lucky was i.

What sucks is that im probably gonna have to do it all over again for henkei ironhide :thumbdown 

15. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, and how unlucky was I. Normally I monitor the bid history so I can estimate what the highest bid is. You started off with £47 and £50, so I put your third bid at £53. I guess you could say you outsmarted me. ¬_¬

And no, Ironhide is not worth as much as Ratchet. You can get one MISB for the price you paid. At least I bought him when he was first released.

16. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Had it happen to me before, thats why I wait until the last 10 seconds to bid the most I'm willing to pay. Havent lost too many like that other than a couple.

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

This happened to me with one particularly painful item last year. It was that mysterious blue unreleased Classics Bumblebee, a figure that still haunts me and whose absence feels like a big hole in my collection. The damn thing ended up selling for just over $100, an absolute steal; the only other one on eBay at the time was going for $400. And I haven't seen on on there since, for ANY price. I had to go to a meeting at work and wasn't able to snipe it at the time. Sigh.

18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait a minute... you mean Glyph? That wasn't an unreleased Classics, it was a custom. There have been pictures of her on the site before.

19. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had a habit of not bidding till the end cause I sit and second guess what I should do. One day I missed even bidding on a g1 complete whirl with the canopy cage variant because my boss walked in and I got into a conversation minutes before it ended and forgot while I was talking to my boss. It went for $90. I was bummed

20. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

There were a few ran off, production Classic blue BB's.