The 86 movie should have been a "days of future past" scenario.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Feb 25, 2008.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Okay, so some of you know exactly what I mean when I say "Days of future past". Those of you who don't, think of it like the dark visions of the future from Heroes. It's a glimpse into a future that may or may not happen, but it's cool to see a F'ed up version of characters and a darker, twisted future. Star Trek fans are no stranger to ideas like this.

See, although as a kid I loved some characters in the 86 movie, I never really liked the forced switch-out to this new cast. I mean, I was excited to go see a Transformers movie. You know, Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Prowl. And now I understand they wanted to sell alot of toys, and they thought that different versions of those toys everyone already had would not sell as well as brand new, exciting characters. But as a kid, it really bothered me to have these characters I came to see get slaughtered, disregarded, and replaced by these guys (and gal) I've never even heard of, and in some cases never even liked. It was too stark, too forced. It felt like I was being told "ok, now you don't like these guys, you like THESE guys."

Don't get me wrong, I loved Unicron, I liked Hot Rod because I thought the design was awesome, (although I didn't say "design" then) and I liked some of the scenes. But I never really got over it, and when they switched it out to the movie continuity in season 3, well let's just say I was sad to get home after school and see another @#$% Quintesson.

So, in retrospect I think they should have let the 86 movie exist on it's own. Have the toys (although let's face it, alot of them were embarrassingly bad for TF standards at the time.) and then once that's worked out of everyone's system, make season 3 a continuation of season 2. You can slowly start to bring in a few of the 86 characters for the sake of recognition if you want....but when they split that original continuity with the jump to 2005, that's when the mirror fractured and it never healed. I'm really going to focus on making my own streamlined timeline, and I think I going to have it continue after season 2 with the 86 movie as possible vision of what could come. Kinda like the comic dealt with, if I'm not mistaken. I'm more versed on the cartoon side of things.

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Your idea made me think of the X-Men Age of Apocalypse (AOA) storyline. Basically, Xavier gets killed in the past, before forming the X-Men and Apocalypse takes over North America. This storyline lasted for four months and then everything somewhat got reverted back to normal at the end of the storyline when Xavier's death is avoided.

Adapting the idea to the movie, Megs and Prime die but Rodimus never destroys Unicron. Season 3 could be the Autobots and Decepticons struggle to escape/defeat Unicron. The end of Season 3 would be the saving of Prime and Megs through some time-travel mechanism. Then Season 4 would be like a continuation of Season 2.

I always felt Transformers should have a good melding of human/earth stories and epic space sagas. Season 3 went too far into the space stuff (and it really wasn't all that great).

3. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    I totally agree. I think part of what I didn't like about season 3 as a kid was that although I was cool with space travel, the places they went and things they did just kinda sucked. Not cool at all.

That, and as a kid a big part of it was they were in disguise on earth and any car could just stand up and run off. Taking that out of it kinda hurt in my eyes, in retrospect.

4. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Exactly. I remember the first time Autobots took Spike to Cybertron (Ultimate Doom episodes, if I remember correctly). I felt the same way Spike did, with those wierd vistas, rounded catwalks and roads (if you can call them that) and that eerie music. In season 3, we never had that anymore. Though, there really are some cool and crazy space-travel and planet discovery episodes, like "Chaos", one of the best S3 episode in my opinion.

5. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

*In total agreement with SentinelPrime*

As an eleven-year-old in the movie theater, I was like "WTF?!" after virtually all the characters I knew and loved were off'd in the first few acts. And none of the "new guys" appealed to me enough to get their toy incarnations thereafter (I pretty much got out of Transformers toys right then and there).

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Now there is a cool idea. It would be nice for a dark future to open up, and everyone race to try to avoid it. Kind of like how the Binaltech story ended up later on.

7. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I agree 100%

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would rather have seen a more proactive Rodimus Prime with a greater imagination (and less whining). He could have invited the Junkions to "come on down" to Earth to help fix some of his "smashed up friends". What a feel-good episode (or two parter) that would have been. Hasbro could have released slightly upgraded characters and made a mint. The survivors could have joined the EDC for some good Earth episodes. TROOP could still have taken place later without all that Funeral Ark nonsense. Maybe Rodimus could have even found a way to protect the Ark from Trypticon so the EDC TFs would have a base. Let's face it, if Omega Supreme, Superion, and Defensor had been guarding the Ark Trypticon may have been stopped instead of leaving the Ark's defense to a handful of very brave Minibots. Hasbro just didn't think about season three hard enough.

9. NICKTORIOUS

NICKTORIOUS Well-Known Member

Season three is totally my favorite season.

Maybe its because I grew up knowing Prime and co. died, I just accepted everything afterwards. Plus, as a kid I watched the hell out of my vhs copy of Five Faces of Darkness. I don't care how much it contradicted things that had come before, Rodimus being told transformers history by ancient autobot leaders fascinated me to no end. That shit was hardcore.

10. SentinelPrime

Ebay:

Meh. Not me. Season 3 felt like crappy 70's sci-fi to me as a kid. It just felt....wrong and lame.

Not to mention as far as movie replacements go that I have ALWAYS thought that Scourge was like the WORST transformer in history. A bearded, pink-clawed, no personality flying boat-thingy. And what was up with the robot beards in the 86 movie?

God I hate Floro Dery's decepticon designs. And he will tell you they are the best TF designs ever. Yeah, purple bunny-ears (cylonus) and pink claws (scourge) and bright-orange cannons (galvy) and beards. REALLY THREATENING.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I love the movie and season 3, right up till when Prime comes back. I loved the epic, galactic scale of the story. Getting off earth was a great move in my opinion. 'Course, I think I'm in the minority.......

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I've said it before, if it were up to me, I would have split the factions. Had the futuristic non-terran vehicle mode Autobots and Decepticons on other planets for the whole space feel. Then have the Autobots on Earth still fighting the Decepticons. Kinda best of both worlds. AND throw in some rebuilding of characters to either get some use of some repaints or to bring out new toys. New red sports car coming out? Okay, bang Sideswipe up so bad in the story that he needs rebuilt. By that thinking Prowl would have been a Headmaster, and in that respect, I could live with it.

I doubt they'll retcon it as a whole. Each continuity seems to retcon itself as it goes along, and just keep basic ideas from each series. I can think of tons of ways to fix the little things that went awry, but that isn't my job. My job is to be a fan, and just choose to ignore what I don't like. Someday I might write out a master timeline to explain the changes in modes from series to series. If I get bored enough...

13. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I loved the movie and the deaths. Made Transformers bad ass and crossed a line no 80's cartoon dared.
    That said I kind of like this idea. Though its far to late.
    and it would kill the power of the movie as the events mattered.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what's stopping hasbro from getting someone to do what DC and Marvel are doing? with Justice League New Frontier coming out, that Batman/animatrix project, and the slew of DTV marvel things...what stops them from doing some G1 fun?

Do a 90 minute retelling of their trip to earth or do a War Within flick.

hell, i just want something out of G1 that was done with BTAS, Justice League and JLU- darker. edgier and truer to character storytelling. you have a goldmine with all that Kup experienced....

tell me if you agree with this:
    didn't anyone think a really excellent plot point was made in the 86 movie, but was glossed over- the thing springer said about being dogged until they were all dead? i think that if they wanted S3 to follow the movie, they should have driven that home. Galvatron went nuts and took it out on the Autos....dogging them all...
    personally S3 stunk for me. galactic olympics, quintessons, space rabies, ROOP, and the funeral ark...ugh.
    i agree with the earlier point- old skool were on earth, futuristic stuff was space and they shoulda been separated unless a serious threat needed attention.

Rodimus Prime as a cartoon character=great. As a toy=i want a refund. that brick is craptacular to no end. boring. boring. boring.
    i wish i had bought a hot rod first...

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

See custom user title.

16. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wasn't this the point of the Marvel Comics? Galvatron came from the future, which was the events of the 1986 movie.

17. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Hi kids! I'm Hot Rod! Look at this cool car I turn into! Ask your parents to buy me! Oh and forget those old guys you watched and liked for 2 seasons, their toys aren't being made anymore so they're going to be killed in this story! Well some killed and the others just forgotten about. But don't sweat it, there's all new cool toys...er characters to like! Like Wheelie, Blurr and flying bathtub Scourge! Don't forget to buy me!"

That pretty much sums up the original movie for me, an even more blatant toy commercial than the series. Although the first 20 mins are intense and pretty cool (Ignoring the awful toy-driven deaths) after that it's pure dung.

I would take a days of future past or anything over the original 86 animated movie.
    I'm well aware alot of people love it but I'm not one of them.

18. butz

butz slippery when wet

Eh, I'm happy enough with what we got. Besides, the comics had an alternate bleak future thing going on, so its not like the idea was never used.
    I dunno, I've never had the fiction for anything that I like go exactly how I would've wanted it to; you just kinda gotta take what you get. And when it doesn't work for you, use your own ideal version of things and just look at the official canon like it's an alternate "what if?" kinda reality.