The 120Hz Smooth Motion Advantage

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    News Credits:
    This weekend I took advantage of Circuit City's Woes and bought a 42" LCD TV equipped with the 120Hz Smooth Motion.

Basically, for those who haven't seen this "feature" in action, it basically takes your films (24fps) and increases the framerate in an effect that makes them look like you are watching a BBC show like Dr. Who or something shot on a Digital Video Camera.

While it doesn't sound that cool, it actually looks cooler than it sounds, especially when seeing Optimus Prime take on Megatron and it looks like a news feed instead of a movie.

If anything it's worth it to see your favorite movies at least once in this way (we saw Return of the Jedi last night). It was on DVD, but it looks crisp and almost BR in quality.

Anyway, what I didn't know was that the 120Hz wasn't just limited to movies. Basically, when this feature is turned on (and it has 3 levels Low, Med, or High), it affects anything pumping out of the screen.

So without knowing that I had left it on, I put Killzone's demo on and immediately noticed that the game was running at a (faked) 60FPS, while the game is normally 30. Then I put Motorstorm Pacific on and the same thing. The game was running smoother than normal. With Killzone, it took away from the game's film-like motion, so I turned it off, but on Motorstorm, the smoother framerate helped me win a race because I could see everything as smooth as Wipeout framrate.

There has to be a catch to this, like the feature burns out the TV or something, because tonight I'm going to try Shadow of Colossus to see if I can play it with a smoother framerate. So it's almost like a person with a faster PC rig playing a FPS against someone with a slower one. It's almost like I'm cheating because of my TV.

Oh and CG movies like TMNT look like nothing I've ever seen before.
  2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

Feb 15, 2007
    News Credits:
    Lol, there is no catch to it and it won't burn up your TV. Personally I don't like it very much because it makes BR and DVD's, look like you said, shot on a cheap hand held video camera.

Games on the other hand are a different story and a lot of them do look better with the motion turned on.