That's why you work at a gas station. (D_C flips out on someone).

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

So, guy comes into the gas station today where I work my second job, he gets $5 worth of gas and a breakfast sandwich. I tell him his total is $6.05 (the sandwich is 99¢ plus sales tax. He says, "I thought the sandwich was 99¢." I explain to him that there are taxes on "prepared" food, just like when you go to McDonald's, he says "That's some weird math." I try to explain again and he says he doesn't want the sandwich and just pays for gas.

I admit I was a bit of a smart ass and said have a nice day and gave him a big cheesy grin.

He goes out and pumps his gas, then comes back in and tries to start shit with me!

He says, "Did you yell at me while I was pumping my gas?" I answer, "Ugh... no."

Then he goes, "Let me give you a little math lesson, five cents on the dollar isn't seventy five cants."

At this point I'm thinking what the fuck is he talking about, I only charged him 6 cents for tax, I even checked the register receipt when he was arguing with me before.

I'm sure I have a "What the fuck" look on my face, then he says, "That's why you work at a gas station."

At this point I feel the adrenalin surge.

I start yelling, a girl in my line says, "Don't get yourself in trouble over that ass hole."

I fire back (I am yelling loud at this point.) "THIS IS MY SECOND FUCKING JOB!!!! I MADE SIXTY THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS LAST YEAR."

The guy is gone before I know what happened, I look around and everyone in the store looks a bit stunned.

Later the girl running the register next to mine said everyone was sure I was going to go over the counter and throttle the guy, she put it as "You were half way over the counter."

Oops...

2. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

To qoute Calvin and Hobbes, "It's hard to be religious when certain people aren't struck by lightning."

3. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

All this over a few cents?

Come on, now.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

What a dumbass, I hate people like that

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wow man. You need to get laid to calm yourself down.

Through with your prodigious swimmers, you'd end up with another kid...

6. Dark_Convoy

No, it's mostly over someone trying to insult my intelligence.

I think I need to start lifting weights again, that calmed me down a lot.

It might also have to do with the fact that I have been working three jobs for the last month and am just slightly stressed out...

7. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

Knowing Greenshadow0, I think that he was referring to the a-hole, not you.

8. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I've got you wrong here, but it was his problem over a few cents?

As in this could all have been avoided if that guy hadn't questioned the tax.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Although he was bordering on deserving it, I am glad you didn't kill him dude. Not worth it in the long run.

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Hey, I hear you. I used to deal with dumb customers when I worked in restaurants all the time. Some would not know what they ordered or would be staring at the menu for hours before asking, "whats good here?"

Im glad to be out of that industry.

11. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, this guy doesn't even qualify to work at a gas station himself, nevermind being the complete asshole to you with the "that's why you work at a gas station" And his inabilty to do basic, first grade math - I'd sure get PO'd myself

You'll probably look back on this tard and have a laugh, hopefully.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It sounds like you said "$6.05" and he misheard it as "$6.75". Hence the comment about 5 cents on the dollar not equaling 75 cents. It's not a completely unreasonable possibility.

This whole thing could have been avoided if not for the fact that these days there are too many people with a chip on their shoulder who think they are smarter than everyone else and assume everyone is out to get them. All he had to do was ask you to repeat the price but no, he had to be an asshole about it.

13. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Man, I hate when capital A-holes attack you by attacking your job or what you do.
    Anyways, for defending your position, I salute you!

14. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

DC I feel ya... I work at a gas station for my second job. People that are the most likely to give you trouble are people who haven't worked a job even remotely like what we do.

Example: I was closing down my register in the back when a coworker walks back there looking for the Corporate number. I thought, OMG ... what kinda trouble are we in. A guy was wondering why our gas was 20 cents more expensive than about 80 miles up the road.

There is no explaining that we have 0 control over gas prices. No one gets that it's out of our hands. They ask if the owner makes enough ... all the time. It gets really really really really old. Especially when the "owner" doesn't have anything to do with our company anymore.

My second "favorite customer behavior" is when people come in and they know "the owner." They think this allows them to act stupid or get special treatment. OMG. Get a life.

Now, that said. I'm not trying to say that all people who don't work these jobs or haven't worked them act this way. I just know that I have changed my tune when I visit other convenience stores. I'm a lot nicer and I really try to show them how I'm one of them, along with understanding what it's like.

15. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

reminds me of some of my days at Home Depot.

So why the three jobs? if you don't mind me asking.

16. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

way to stand up for yourself though. i used to work at a gas station. I HATED IT SO MUCH>

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You should have gone all Ultimates Hulk on him, what with the sodomy, cannibalism, and necrophilia.

I'm surprised you haven't started smoking again.

18. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Damn buddy, that guy sounds like a total tool. In all honesty I am glad that you stopped yourself from flying off the handle at him. Idiots like that just aren't worth it...

19. Dark_Convoy

I got behind on my bills and I'm trying to fix up my house as well, which is turning out to be very expensive.

20. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

And that, my friend. Is why I work third shift, or jobs where I don't have to deal with customers. Because I honestly think I'd hurt someone if they insulted me because of where I work... And going to jail wouldn't be a worth it.
    Sorry that happened, people tend to think just because you work a job in retail/or your working a register.. you're "lower" then them or some BS. Gughgh people 8\..