That's just bad CGI. . .

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fifam94, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

First off, let me start by saying that ILM is an amazing company. At first I thought we would be decades away from having a decent-looking Transformers film in Live-action. Boy did they prove me wrong. Seeing TF1 made my Jaw drop, and to this day (at least in my opinion) ILM remains unrivaled in their quality of animation and CGI.

However. . . Throughout the course of all three TF Films, there have been instances where the CGI was . . . Sub-par. Not saying it was anything TERRIBLE, but you could just tell that things were CLEARLY CG. For example, when Sam falls off of the building in TF1 after being hit with Megatron's Flail, it's sort of obvious that sam is CGI when Optimus catches him. So, can you guys point out anymore scenes like this?

2. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I thought that just about all of the CGI looked pretty realistic to me. The only time I think it ever looked off was when the original Primes made a tomb of their bodies, but I'm not sure how you could possibly show that in any other way. Other than that, I thought these movies had the best special effects ever put on screen.

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I thought every CG moment in TF1 was photo realistic

I thought that although it took alot of time and work to render Devastator, I felt that he looked the most fake along with some moments with the twins.

I thought that twins looked fake because of the way they moved and I thought that Devastator looked like obvious CG because there was so much movement for such a heavy piece of machinery especially during the merging. And plus seeing something like that in real life is just "unbelievable" to begin with so our brains tell us that something is very off about what we're looking at

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say it's bad.

5. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In ROTF, when the twins, Bumblebee, Simmons, Sam, Mikaela, and Wheelie first get to the pyramids (just after the checkpoint scene) I think the twins CGI looks way off and unpolished - somewhat cartoony.

6. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I never bought the Fallen...

7. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Yeah me neither. I hated the whole "mystical" concept of him and the primes and what-not. Sort of ruins the franchise for me.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The final fight with The Fallen in ROTF always looked odd to me, like it was a game cutscene or something

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    You need to talk to Scott Farrar.

10. Soundbytes

Soundbytes Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That "Oh Sh*it, 3D" moment of DOTM when Sam was swinging from Starscream at the screen always looked pretty fake to me.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    1 was perfect, 2 had issues during the extra scenes in the forrest fight and when Prime fought the Fallen, and 3 had a hiccup when Sentinel awoke and during the bridge fight. for me anyway.

12. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

I would, but I fear the conversation may last 10,108 minutes.

13. YanderePrime

YanderePrime Autobot

News Credits:
    The shot in the first film of Megatron bursting through the roof to get to Sam always looked off to me, the animation of his claw specifically in that instance.

Also the CGI Alice model in ROTF never looked right

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    No, I mean his CGI. Never bought that he was there.

15. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The scene in rotf when prime put his hand through the fallens chest and ripped out his spark core, and the scene in dotm near the end when sideswipe is saying "ratchet, cover high." Jump to mind right off the bay. I'm sure I cutoff find other examples if I tried :thumb 

16. zark225

zark225 The Day Fukr

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always thought the part where Prime hits Starscream in the forest battle and Screamer's body bends looked.. "off." Right before he kicks Megs, flips Screamer, and kicks him in the face. Besides a few parts that looked just slightly off all the CGI has been top notch! The best I've ever seen!

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Don't know how you guys decide what's bad CGI and what's good. Everything in the films looks pretty damned real to me.

18. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never found any of the CGI in the movies convincing. They always look off.

19. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

For the most part (99% or the time) it was fantastic. There are little things though, like the fake dangling sam from starscream's face.

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    In the scene Sideswipe says, "Ratchet, cover high" in DOTM, in the foreground, Optimus and Sideswipe looks fantastic as usual. But Dino looks... cartoony. Like there isn't texture or something on him. He's hard to see, but look through the gap between Optimus' legs and he's standing in the background. I recall an early review of a work-in-progress version of the film, and they described the CGI in the scene where the Wreckers kill the pilot as "Playstation level animation". That would fit with the little bit of Dino we see in this scene I mention.

The all-CGI scenes in DOTM (the opening on Cybertron, and later Optimus and Ratchet aboard the Ark) are leaps and bounds better than the already excellent scenes in the Nemesis in ROTF.