Thats it! Im getting a PS3 sometime this week!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by seeker311, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Some friends of mine changed their tags just for Crimson Skies (RIP FASA Studios :cry ).

So, it would say "You have been shot down by a 5yr old pilot" or "You have been shot down by a blind pilot".

Look them up -they're still online.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FASA developered Crimsom? Always loved that game on Xbox, but didn't realize FASA created it. And obviously they did Shadowrun. Honestly, if they had stuck to their damn guns and made Shadowrun a singleplayer RPG, things would have been different. Why compete with the hundred billion FPSs out there. Shadowrun was a rich world that could have used a Next-gen outting.

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    You can start as many Master Accounts on your PS3 as you want. Just create a new user on the system and then log in to PSN to create a new ID. Then if/when Smasher get his PS3 he can log inusing that ID. It's no trouble bring your PSN ID with you. I have my account set up on my brothers PS3 too so I can log into Resistance as my self. Plus, he sucks and I don't want to help pad his stats...LOL.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I have yet to play a PS3 game, outside of a few demos, on my PS3. I will rent Heavenly Sword and Lair though. I don't honestly see a game I will actually purchase until Final Fantasy 13. So far all it's been is a Blu-Ray player (yay for HD), and something to let me play FF12 since my PS2 is a bit unreliable. Just using it for these simple uses has given me 10 times more headache than all my other systems I've ever owned combined. I still hate the interface on the PS3, and the fact that it takes about an hour and a half to update the damn thing. Is it too much to ask that it update in about 30 seconds like the 360? And is it too much to ask that it doesn't bring my entire network to a standstill when it's downloading something?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's wrong with your network bra? None of these things you describe have happened once to me.

Not to mention that I downloaded some videos on my 360 and had to go through like 4 submenues before finding my video. I like how on my PS3 it's all on one folder and I can categorize them as I like.

It's like all games reside in the game menu, not arcade separated from demos, separated from downloaded games. It really never gets that messy because it's not like that many games fit on 60 gig, so why so many sub menues for a system that only supports 20 gig's worth.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I dont understand how my 360 can download stuff in about 5 minutes but when I downloaded the Halo 2 maps on the 360, it took over an hour!

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So then you'd agree that the PS3 will replace the PC and that it's so powerful they won't have to make a PS4 for ten years? Those are the kinds of promises we got, and they'll drive people to nitpick every minute flaw in every high-profile game on the system.
    Just curious, but what kind of framerate to you get when you do that stuff? Lair gets a lot of flack for having great graphics at the expense of frames-per-second, much like Shadow of The Colossus achieved its detailed graphics. I really wouldn't know, since I haven't had the opportunity to play Lair yet.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    LOL @ bra!

It is funny how quickly the 360 will update and get downloads, yet my Wii updated for nearly two hours and the only thing I could tell it got from it was a clock!

I know the 360's blades intimitely so I have no problem navigating them, but I do agree that their arrangement is a peculiar one.
    My main problem is when you get something like the videos from Comicon.
    I think it was genius for Microsoft to cover the event and idiocy for them to name every video "Bringing it home".

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know about replacing the PC but I do think as a gaming console it has a lot of staying power.

I read an article by some developer that said that they were pretty close to getting everything they can out of the 360. I would guess this is because the architecture for the console is so close to a PC. Alternatively he said that they were just scratching the surface on what they can do with the PS3. The reasoning behind this is because it's something of a paradigm shift in the architecture and current console gamer programmers just aren't as familiar with how to best program for it. They went on to say that within about a year we will be seeing games made for the PS3 that wouldn't be able to be ported to the 360 without a reduction in quality.

One interesting thing about the PS4, since you brought it up. I think that if it follows a similar architecture as the PS3 there will be some amazing games for it at launch. There won't be nearly as big of a learning curve for developers. So while there are setbacks in software for the PS3 this actually aligns them better for the future.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, nothing will ever replace the PC because the PC is a machine who's innards get replaced when an upgrade is needed. I never threw in the PC into this mix. Another thing is that PC games have to compensate for min-spec machines, while console games are made for one machine alone and don't have to be downplayed for any reason. So at times, especially when someone takes advantage of what a console can do, they can end up looking better than what's on PC, even if it's just stylistically. You mentioned Shadows of Collossus. What on a PC looks that spectacular? Not from a resolution standpoint, but from a "I have to literally climb that boss and poke him in the head" standpoint. Everything on PC is a clone of some first person shooter that people drool over because in this one you get to do "some new thing" that gets old after the 3rd level.

I won't deny Lair has framerate issues (they really aren't that bad, people complain more about the controls than anything), or Heavenly Sword for that matter, but coming from a first generation of games on the PS3, it still gave me more of a wow factor than anything I've seen (along side Bioshock and Gears I might add). But screw Lair. Last night I played the last battle on Heavenly Sword (and lost miserably to Bohan), and that one had a very decent framerate while a literal assload of detailed soilders were not only watching the battle between me and the main boss, but getting knocked the hell out by our swings. All were real-time, even the ones in the background (the bodies and debrie literally piling up with the carnage). All with the depth of field applied, all with their shimmer and gloss to their armor, and most of them acting on their own, not some preprogrammed group command. That was some insane shit there. So I predict that those framerate issues will be gone when developers get better at working with the system.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw you on last night, Bra! But my cousin was messing around with the media center. We were streaming HD videos from my PC (including the Transformer 1080 trailer) to my xbox. That was SICK!!!

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just finished reading an article the other day that had some analyst state that although the PS3 had been slow to sell this last year, to expect it to surpass the 360 becuase they were about to release some upcoming games and were going to overhaul the PSN.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what they say about analysts don't ya, bra? I don't either, but they have the word Anal smudged in there somewhere.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

No, but Sony did. That was one of the things that was said by Sony during their initial PS3 hype. You said PS3 lives up to the hype. Maybe not? That's the kind of puffed-up BS that Sony needs to stay away from if they don't want their games and consoles held under a microscope.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup, and that would make Regi an innocent soul that does nothing but tell the truth. Why is it that in a world run by PR that only Sony is the one who does it wrong? What about Regi telling people why they should love Nintendo last gen, while not actually having anything to show for it. That's why the man was promoted, because despite the incredibly lackluster display of games, and Nintendo's frequent need to abandon their players for a new system, and then do the same thing again (The Wii has as many if not less AAA titles than the PS3 does, but no one seems to notice that), Regi convinced people that Nintendo was not only doing a fantastic job, but people ended up not falling in love with Nintendo, but Regi himself. So now, at shows, people go to see Regi, while showings like this E3, where Nintendo showed an exercise game and not much more, people are still convinced that Sony sucked and Nintendo owned. I bought a Wii and returned it (I still have a copy of my receipt), not because I don't like Nintendo, rather because I bought into the hype from Regi, and the hundreds of other gamers that said I HAD to have one. So I get home, play Wii sports, surf the net and download old games (spent like 50 bucks on old games because I had to spend 10 bucks for games that cost 400 points). Then I come to realize that aside from Metroid coming soon and Paper Mario, that there isn't anything out for this thing, and won't be until December, and that's if I'm a huge Smash Brother's fan, but I am not. There are less games to play on the Wii than any other system out there, so who is overhyping? Now I rebought an Xbox, and if anyone is not hyping now it's MS, they have their shit together and have a lot to show for their little box. But they cannot throw stones either because they got gamers on their side with the original Xbox with all the hype about how strong it was and how much better the games were, and then dumped their players for the 360.

Everyone is guilty of overhyping. Sony is also. But seriously, to say that this evil Empire called Sony is the only one guilty of overhyping their shit is ridiculous. They may hype their shit, but at least there are still games coming out for my PS2, and when the PS2 came out, still games coming out for my PS1... Sega, Nintendo, and MS have all bailed whenever they thought there were greener pastures, so they hyped an bailed on their own hype. Sony may hype as well, but at least they believe their bullshit enough to stick to their gamers and their system.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

"At Nintendo, we're all about games."

Wii fit.

Whaaa?

:lol 

17. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

ok off topic...wtf is going on with the posessed Oprah sigs? I guess I didn't get the memo...anyways...

Back on topic, the PS3 really did deserve all of the criticism when it first hit shelves and I still think it deserves it somewhat to this day. A $600 machine with no true "killer" ap and barely any game to warrant a purchase was and still is inexcusable (IMHO of course). I think PS3 seems to be getting a bit better but that's not saying much considering it's lackluster launch. Everyone has to agree that the PS3's launch was nothing compared to the PS2's launch regardless of time period, technology or any other variables.

I think the gaming industry as a whole is suffering from a lack of creativity, fps's saturate the market, very few gaming company's willing to explore new concepts, sports titles cornering the market, etc.

*Disclaimer for all blind console followers this is coming from someone who plays both systems, 360 and PS3. I'm still on the fence as to which platform I will purchase if any. I hold no true allegiences to neither!

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the launch would have been better if they had sucked it up and given us a bit more stuff in the box. another pad, remote and a game maybe. like the good old master system, having motorstorm installed on the hdd would have been nice.

19. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Motorstorm wasn't even a release title though.

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

wasn't it? my bad. but you know what i mean.