That was a real stunt?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Waveride, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    I was wondering where to post this but found no appropriate topic to for it. I was looking through some set pictures of TF3 and found one from the second movie. Now to my surprise this shot is from the filming and i didn't know this scene was actually shot in live action and not CGI enhanced. I was sure in that scene that the helicopter and car were CGI added into the shot. Is there any shots from both movies you were surprised to find out it was all done practical?

[​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uncphillips/5355604761/in/photostream/

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Still a bit CGI-enhanced... look at the cable supporting the car, it leads to a netting around the bottom of the car. But still, yeah, that's a big ass helicopter chucking a car around. Pretty cool.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    People like to rip on him, but give credit to Bay as due, he believes in filming as much as he can in real life before having to use CGI.

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Gotta give the man credit for been crazy.

5. megatron66

megatron66 OD'd on candy

Okay, that's crazy. I thought that scene was most, if not all, CGI! Now to see that?!?! Man, that was probably dangerous! They would be in a lot of trouble if that cable snapped...

6. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Great find.

Yep, that's why I like Bay. He knows how to use visual effects (very well), but if it can be done practically, he'll do it. :thumbs2: 

But yes, my first thoughts regarding that sequence was that it was mostly CG, with a very small amount of live-action stunt-work. I mean, certain shots were probably live-action, with some CG enhancement (such as when Grindor actually drops the car), tweaking the 'cable', or with a small Shia digital double hanging out of the window. But that's the thing with Bay, he does so much crazy on-set special effects that you can't even tell if it's CG or not - would he really be crazy enough to do that on set?! Yes. Yes he is and does. :) 

And as for your question, although the following wasn't really done 'on set', I was surprised that they used a miniature-scale building in the first Transformers film when Megatron and Optimus go flying through it in slow-motion. I had thought that the entire scene would've just been created digitally. CG Optimus and Megatron, actual plate photography for the background, miniature building and pyrotechnic effects with digital enhancements inside the building. I love it when a (a variety of effects mediums) come together! *smokes cigar* And I'm really impressed with what Bay managed to do regarding the final giant explosion in Egypt. Spectacular. Most directors would've done the CG-route, but he did it for real. Man, he's awesome.

My favourite stunt was when they dumped that truck out of the C-17 into the streets of Shanghai! :D  I can't believe that the truck actually landed that fall and able to drive away and didn't hurt anyone! Man, that was so ridiculous! What? Guys? Guys... </sarcasm> ;) 

7. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I'll have to double check - but I recall something about that scene in the extras. It was mostly filmed on a land based 'turn table' type setup. I remember Bay actually bragging that HE was the camera man in the back seat while Shia was holding on to the door and such. He mentioned throwing paper wads at him too. Its been awhile so those details might be fuzzy but check the extras on the Bluray disk if you have time.

8. crashresq21

crashresq21 Member

Just to add to the conversation.....its funny how in the first movie Blackout is a MH-53 USAF SOC helicopter.....but in this shot and TF2 he's a CH-53 MARINE helo.......I know the airframes are the same in the most basic sense but wow. :) 

the military loves Bay and Bay shows it by using real soldiers versus extras.....so for him to get a Sea Stallion to drop a Saturn like a lawn dart.....totally cool.

9. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Hence why the helicopter in ROTF is Grindor. :p 

But seriously, this I did not know. If there's one thing that can be redeemable about any of Michael Bay's movies, it's his use of special effects. The guy and his crew know what they're doing (do remember, the accident from a while back is the only severe accident they've ever had).

10. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

im just gonna put it out their....Bay should make a Martial arts movie.

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    The one that always gets me is Bonecrusher's infamous "skater bus boi" crashing scene. No matter how many times I see it, and know that that was a legit (hallowed out) bus, it still actually looks CGI to me. I don't understand it, and it makes me want to scoop out my brain with a melon baller.

12. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    this is why I love Bay

13. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    Bay know how to film a movie... some people hate him, but nothing beats practical effects

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think the best example would be the "Scorponok trailer shot." It'd be easy to just have the actors running, and digitally add in a huge-ass explosion, but it's no fun it Bay doesn't have the risk of blowing up an actor.

15. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

To be fair to Bay, its one of his strengths that he shoots a lot of real stuff. More directors should do this.

16. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I think I'm the only person that likes Bay 100% Good for him for actually filming this stunt and not CGing it.

17. Cliff_prime

Cliff_prime Banned

YES agree , Bay at his best and I like all his movies

there are bay lovers here YAY

18. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a director, I don't like Bay very much. As a cinematographer, I LOVE him. I love that he'll go practical as often as he can.

19. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yes, the bonus features show that Bay was the camera man in the stunt car, filming Shia, Ramon and Megan. (It's cool to see a big-shot like Bay and his actors having good old fashioned fun at their job). The car was cabled above a green-screen on stage (because even Bay isn't crazy enough* to put actors in that car being carried by the copter). But that was just the close-ups with the actors and the "car-related" shots. Then what this topic is about was the fact an actual helicopter was carrying an actual car and they actually did that specific stunt for real for many shots, as opposed to just letting ILM do their magic and CG everything, like a lot of directors would've.

*Not really. He's crazy enough to do anything.

20. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

I'm not a fan of Bay, but his practical work is one of his better qualities.