That one damn twistie!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mister Gone, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Well, I have stopped my hand from bleeding and I think it's time I bring this threat to the light. Too long has this menace gone unquestioned. Fans have lamented this blasted blight in silence but no longer.

Why the hell does there always have to be a twist tie (or many) twisted inside the bubble, when all the rest go right through the back on larger Transformers :mad  !

Lol, this is actually a pet peeve of mine but I cut my hand on the plastic opening my cleranced Leader Class ROTF MEgatron just now and figured it was time to have this silent killer brought to the forefront :D 

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Never cut my hand on twist ties before. And they've started using paper twist ties now.

3. Dave_6

Dave_6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use wirecutters :) 

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I use scissors. At some point, I realized there was a faster way to play with my toys. Sadly, I realized this far, far, far too late :) 

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    They've already started replacing conventional wire twist ties with cardboard paper twist ties for the new and upcoming Transformers so I doubt you'll be cutting your hands up again any time soon.

Unless you're skins made up of like...butter or something...

6. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I've also use a wire cutter to remove them. Never been a problem. There are a lot of them though in leader class figures. Look at it this way, do you want to have a lot of these ties or have the increased chance that the toy will get bounced around in shipping. Though I don't like them, I clearly see why they are used and think its a good thing. I'm sure there's a better way of doing it though. That's why we have packaging engineers.

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    It wasn't the twistie itself, but the edge of the bubble mount, honed to a razor edge by sadistic Hasbro package designers :O. Usually I just clipper the ties, metal or otherwise, but I failed to bring clippers to work :(  and I paid the ultimate (hand cut related) price.

I don't really mind twisties themselves, they serve a very important purpous. What gets me is when there is 1,463 ties going all the way through the back cardboard, and 1 twisted inside the bubble, meaning I have to remove the bubble to get to it. It is the pinnicle of irritation, and I am being 100% serious about this *wink* *wink*

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I use a pair of dykes. Works great, but there is one that seems to be hidden that always frustrates me. Then when you find it, it is in such a tight space that no tool can get to it. And just when you think you've gotten them all cut, you try and pull the figure out of his plastic prison, and yet he still won't budge!
    Then trying to pull out his accessories. While there's no ties there, they are wedge into the plastic so damn tight, you fear you'll break the part your trying to get!

9. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    I thought I was done with the metal twist ties in lieu of the new paper ones they've been using for all the new toys.

But leader Starscream...

10. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I use nail clipper and never had a problem with any twist ties regardless of the location.

11. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you use a what?

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Same here. I always bust out the Leatherman.

13. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kitchen shears, nail clipper...knife..anything sharp i can get leverage out of to pop them or cut them

14. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

maybe they should start putting a safety advisory on the packages, you know, like; always wear protective gloves when opening to avoid twistie tie related injuries. :) 

15. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

Personally, I like to untie them manually. It builds up the excitement. Sometimes, though, there are these rogue twist-ties that refuse to untie. :)  that's when I bust out the scissors.

16. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

The metal/plastic ones were a pain sometimes, but these new paperish ones are nice, "can't untie? Just cut!".

17. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Moderator

News Credits:
    I agree, curse that twist tie that's in between. It's like it wasn’t good enough in its past life to go all the way through to the back of the box so it was stuck in the "nether-bubble".

And how the hell did they get it so tight in there? I bet Hasbro hired some disgruntled Oompa-Loompas to get in there and tie them, extra tight!

18. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Ah, but did you buy Energon Omega Supreme? Good lord, too many twisties, I almost returned him cause my fingers got tired.

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I hate all twisties even the paper ones.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I just use my hands or my super-dull pocket knife to cut them.

It sucks, I need some better wire cutters.