That little switch on the jumpstarters...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Oct 21, 2009.

1. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    On the back of their heads, they have a little switch you can move that isn't attached to anything. I'm assuming it had a function on the original that came from whatever line they swiped it from, and they left that function out.

Anyone know what it was originally for? Perhaps it locked down the "jumping" action?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It helps correct any weight imbalance if the toy doesn't land on its feet after the spring engages.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I read somewhere it was used for... stabilization during the jump?

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I heard it was originally intended to change the figures from super suck to just regular suck but QC problems prevent it from functioning properly.

5. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That's what the instructions say, but that's gotta be bull. That tiny little nub wouldn't stabilize anything, as it weighs nothing compared to the toy.

It isn't connected to anything inside like a weight, it's nothing but a little tab of plastic. It's a damned CONSPIRACY!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  6. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    From Jumpstarter: - Transformers Wiki

On the back of both figures' heads is a device resembling a switch. The switch is asymmetric and each position presents a different gap between the back of the head and the surface the toy is running on. When the spring-loaded transformation is triggered, the inertia of the legs unfolding in one direction torques the body backward in the opposite direction, causing the whole unit to rear up on the rubber driving wheels. When the switch on the back of the head comes in contact with the running surface, it becomes the new fulcrum point for levering the toy up off the surface, both increasing the lever length between the spring hips and the running surface, and lifting the driving wheels off the surface, removing any forward acceleration from the jumble of intersecting forces. That anonymous bit of plastic on the back of the head thus controls the timing for the wheels to be removed from contact with the running surface, the moment when the lever length and thus the force required to rotate the body backward increase significantly, and the angle at which the whole assembly is positioned when the giant feet impact the prongs/screws of the upper body, creating the sudden 'snap' that tosses the whole assembly up onto its feet. Changing the little tabs' position can be the deciding factor between landing dramatically upright, smacking forward onto your face, or flopping limply onto your back.

Catch all that? Basically, the switch hits the floor when the legs come undone, causing the main body to come up and into a standing position. Otherwise the body would be pushed to the floor when the legs activate (basic physics - equal and opposite reaction) and it would just end up staying on its back. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  7. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I tested that and, although it always landed on it's feet, it had more of a tendency to wobble based on where that switch was. Right in the middle seems to work best.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ahhhhhh- I get it. Thanks for explaining.

I should look at the TF wiki more.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oops, I was wrong. I knew it had to do with the jumpstart feature somehow.

themoreyouknow.jpg.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine is somewhat to the left for twin twist, and middle for topspin, and sometimes they do fall over, i think it is affected by the spring strength on different figures

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It changes him from good to evil. Make sure it's on the correct setting before you go to bed at night.

13. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

I'm happy I decided not to get one of these now.....