That feeling you get when the first song on a blind buy is awesome.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Made the thread title long, because I didn't want to post the thread title as "That feeling you get when..." only to have people disappointed in the end of the sentence.

I love when I buy an album based off nothing other than a high review rating, and the very first song is just pure love, right off the bat. The satisfaction of a blind buy gone well is one of my favorite pleasures in life. Sometimes I don't even bother checking what the genre is, just because it sometimes helps me expand my taste even more. I do have a short stack of albums that I really, really didn't care for, which I refer to as my "blind buys gone bad" collection, but it's quite small when compared to the number of times I've been happy with my purchase.

Blind bought 3 CDs yesterday, and the first one I chose to play was a self-titled album by Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Turned out to be a fun mix of garagey psych rock with lots of reverb and super catchy hip-hop-like drumming. The very first track, "Ffunny Ffrends" made my whole damn day.

So what I'm saying is, buy shit on a whim. Buy it because you like the cover art. Buy it because you like the band name. Buy it because you have a hunch. Buy it because you vaguely remember it getting a decent rating in some half-assed publication that you don't even care for that much. You never know what you're going to get.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I bought Metallica's Master of Puppets and Evanescence's Fallen on total whims, having never before listened to either band on each occasion. They failed to disappoint, to say the least.

3. daytimeninja

daytimeninja Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Morning Jacket's newest album did that to me when I listened to it on Spotify. Very cool stuff.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I bought Kaiser Chief's "Yours Truly the Angry Mob" in a similar manner and fell in love with Ruby Ruby Ruby instantly.

5. Trenner Dios

Excellent. They're one of those bands that I've always been interested in, but have somehow never heard.

The 2nd album I got yesterday, Ponytail's "Do Whatever You Want All the Time", has the strangest vocals I have ever heard. The effects on them aren't that strange, the lyrics (what I can make of them) aren't that strange, and the girl's voice isn't even that strange; it's how she uses her voice to make exclamations like a reverbed anime girl, without any real structure to it. I'm not even sure I like it; it's somehow annoying and endearing at the same time. The catchy tunes certainly don't hurt at all.

6. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

The only album I bought "Blind" was the Brian Setzer Wolfgangs Night Out (Or whatever the title was).
    I am so paranoid about buying something I won't like. After buying so many crap albums for one song I started to research the rest of the album.

Chuck

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I've done "blind" buys in a sense that I haven't listened to the entire album, but only when I like the artist enough to know that it can't possible suck ass, aka my Alan Jackson/Duane Steele/Dixie Chicks/Miranda Lambert/BT/Gwen Steffani/Ridley Bent buys. Those were all good, they all came without me listening to more than a song or two before hand, and the feeling I got when I rocked em the 1st time was more than worth it. Shane Yellowbird was good too, and I'm sure there's a bunch of others in my car that're escaping me at the moment.

However with that being said, I've also had some bad experiences (Boards of Canada's Geogaddi being the 1st), and I won't make the same mistake again. In my defense however, I mainly bought it for soundtrack purposes because I needed it for a class project or something, and my parents might even have paid for it. Overpriced shit was still overpriced, though.

8. Trenner Dios

I can't fault myself for buying Geogaddi. How could I have known it would be so bad compared to Music has the Right to Children?

9. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Pendulum's In Silico did this for me. Mind was blown instantly.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Last time I did a blind buy, I ended up with Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. Needless to say, I've doubted both my sense of judgement and my taste in music ever since.