Thank You IDW

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ezim93, Jul 28, 2011.

1. ezim93

ezim93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was at my comic store getting ready to play a Dungeons and Dragons Encounter when I saw Issue 22 and remember hearing that it was supposed to be really good. I also saw Issue 21 advertising "CHAOS Starts Here" and remembered that IDW said that Chaos was a good jumping on point. So I bought the two comics and when i got home read them. Issue 21 was alright, I felt like I missed somethings that happened previously in the series but overall it was pretty good. Issue 22 however was amazing. All of Megatrons and Optimus' dialogue was amazing even though I hadn't read the series beforehand. I was awed to say the least. As of tonight I have the first two trades on my way through the mail, I eagerly anticipate getting the third trade, and this weekend I'm going to look for Issues 19 and 20 along with the heart of darkness mini series (heck if IDW is giving it's own trade within the ongoing volumes it must be important). So I say thanks to IDW for hooking me onto their comic series. I just have one question. Should I try and find some of their previous stuff before they did the ongoing series or is it really unimportant as of now. Thank You IDW and Thank You to the fandom for supporting this series.

2. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I would avoid Heart of Darkness if I were you. The rest of IDW's stuff since the Ongoing has been hit and miss. Last Stand of the Wreckers is universally considered one of their best mini's since the Ongoing was launched.

I'm looking forward to the Chaos arc. If #22 was an indication of what's to come, then we're in store for a great story.

3. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Seconded like whoa. HoD may be important to the overall plot arc, but it's probably the single worst thing IDW has ever done. The plot is weak, the dialogue is childish, and the art reaches new levels of horrible. LSOTW doesn't have as much to do with the ongoing storyline, but it's a much better comic.

4. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    No disrespect to the OP, but I've seen lots of thank yous to IDW re: Issue 22 around the net. "Thanks IDW for putting this out?"

We shouldn't thank IDW- we should thank James Roberts and Alex Milne.

5. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

I think people are heaping the praise on IDW so they'll be convinced to continue to use talent like James and Alex. When the dog spends years pooing on the carpet, then he finally goes outside, you reward him with lots of treats and praise in the hope that he'll keep doing it the right way. IDW has a long history of ignoring negative feedback, so maybe people are thinking that positive feedback might work better...

[baby talk]"Good boy IDW, good!" *gives cookie* "You see that James guy you have writing? That's a good boy letting James write! Yes it is! Mommy is so proud that you put out such a good comic! Who's a good boy? You're a good boy, yes you are!" [/baby talk]

:tongue: 

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Fair point! :) 

I just get irked because, at a place or two around the 'net, I see "oh, the ongoing is getting better and better! IDW is listening to us! Yay IDW! See, I told you it was good!" when for most of us, the ongoing has been in a disasterous state of disrepair for a while now (for some of us, since it's inception)... and it's suddenly okay to forgive (or forget) the sins because the direction is vaguely better. Let us not forget that James' two issues were shoe-horned into the ongoing... they were previously Spotlights that the bean-counters wanted in the Ongoing, as sales for the back up stuff have dropped considerably, and the Ongoing audience is somewhat more stable (altho' also on the wane). This wasn't IDW waking up and realizing that Costa wasn't giving us what we wanted... this wasn't an artistic decision.

So, forgive me if I don't want to heap praise on IDW itself. Altho' I guess I should thank them for giving us something to look forward next year... :) 

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I stopped collecting at issue 13, and even though 22 is being praised all across the net, I still have no desire to rush out and snap up all the back issues that I've been avoiding. And despite the increase in quality, IDW burned me good. I'm still not on board with their TF comic yet. Waiting to see how the level of quality holds up with these next few issues.

8. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

I also stopped reading IDW's ongoing around issue...14 I think. Everything was so forgettable. But I knew that James Roberts was dipping his talent in #22+#23 so i wanted to come back for that.

I do recommend getting Last Stand of the Wreckers trade as well. More stuff from Roberts and Roche. I've loosely followed what was happening inbetween, but was still not interested from reading the synopsis. So for me, I had and idea of what was going on in between the issues I have missed. I picked up #21 since there was a copy available and it was the beginning of the next story arc.