Thang God for discount stores.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Sep 11, 2012.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Here lately I've been doing something that I really have no business doing: hitting discount stores for TF's.

And find them I have: Leader BB and Leader Ironhide for $23 each... and here's the best one I have ever nabbed:

Human Alliance Bumblebee for.... $5.99

Yes, the packaging was all tore up but the Bee and Sam were still included and and in good shape.

Now, I've seen an Ark for $7.00, but I don't want that thing.
    I've also seen DOTM Voyager Optimus clearanced for $10.

But you gotta love these discount stores.

2. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Discount stores are a godsend. They bolstered my HA Basics ranks incredibly, especially with some of the harder-to-find ones.

3. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

What discount store? Those are obscene prices.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty sure TJ Maxx. Leaders here are $25, HA's are $10 at TJ.

5. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah but it also feels kinda weird, if the discount stores can sell the leader figs at 23 and still make profit, makes you wonder what the real wholesale cost was. and instead of hasbro raising deluxe price by 35-40% that significantly slow down sales and then dumping them to discount stores at 50% off, why not just set the price to a reasonable level to the consumers directly instead of adding the discount stores middlemen. same deal with the 4 boxed classics exclusive that hts had in stock forever but never included as discount coupon/free ship promos, and then months later people found them at marshall's for $10 a piece, why not just offer discounts directly on the website to fans that are more likely to gobble it up with something like a $2 discount instead of slashing price by 50% and dump them to the discount stores and risk having the nicely designed packages getting torn up by brats - making them even unsellable.

6. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up HA Basic Tailpipe for $4 at Marshalls last week.
    How can you beat $4 for a scout sized TF with a Targetmaster and a little human with derpy eyes.

7. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    discount stores here only have KOs or "other transforming robots".
    I do love stumbling onto sales in regular toy stores though. I got a classics Cliffjumper for $8, which is extremely cheap compared to normal Norwegian prices.

8. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Discount stores are what really got me into collecting. There are a abundance of them in my area and where my family lives.

Marshalls
    Ross
    TJ Maxx
    Tuesday Morning
    Bealls Outlet
    DD's
    Dollar General
    Family Dollar

Are all stores I frequent on the regular.

9. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've found so many good deals at stores like ross, marshalls, and tj max. Off the top of my head, I recall I found: black shadow $8, heavytread $5, wreckgar $8, banzaitron $10, lugnut $10, and there probably a few more, but those are my most recent ones.

10. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I've bought far more at discount stores lately than at regular first run retail.

Which is to say, basically nothing at regular retail

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't forget Five Below, especially with the infamous Windcharger rush from awhile back. People paying upwards of $50 for it from scalpers, and it shows up in droves at FB for $5.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, TJMaxx/Marshalls and Ross really help when you want to get multiples of a figure. Don't think I would've seriously paid full price for all my Junkions, but at $8? Bag it up!

13. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I've bought something like six DotM Cyberfire BBs and two regulars...

... what? They're for customs... it's actually a really nice mold!

14. Fort_Fett

Fort_Fett iRkeN iNvaDR

I would like a ROSS in my state please. Missed out on some good cheap gi joe stuff.

Gordmans and Ollies (just found out about these two stores) have cheap Hasbro TF/Joe/SW/Marvel stuff as well including cheap tuesday morning like ko's.

15. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    We do not have Five Below here. I found Windcharger at 2 different Ross on the same day. One had a smashed up bubble which I opened promptly. The other hangs in my closet from a peg.

And that was going to discount stores literally 200 times before finding him.

16. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Best part about discount stores? They end up getting the stuff that never showed up, or showed up in limited numbers at regular retail. Such as the last wave of RotF with red Rampage and Evac, pretty much the whole RtS line, etc.

17. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I found every RTS figure at Discount store except Fallback and Mindset. I bought those from Kohl's for $16.99 each LOL. Also found a Mindset for my friend at FAO NY.

18. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    I just found Jazz, G2 Prime, Perceptor, and Bumblebee at Ollies!

19. geekacres

geekacres Well-Known Member

Ollies right now has a great assortment of TF stuff.

And Family Dollar with their $5 Mech Tech assortment. If you passed on this DOTM wave, now's a great time to get caught up. Three deluxes for the price of a current retail offering ? Plus, they're taller(ok, maybe not Skids - though I haven't measured him against FoC Jazz). I know there are at least chunks of this wave that I bypassed the first time around. At five dollars, I'm thinking about filling in those holes.

20. oswaldCobblepot

oswaldCobblepot Well-Known Member

The thing is, discount stores don't get their stock like the regular stores do. Stores like TJ Maxx and Ross buy out old products in bulk from warehouses that isn't moving as fast as the distributor wants at drastically reduced prices, which allows them to sell them at a much lower price while still making a profit. So Walmart isn't making a ridiculous profit, they just paid more than TJ Maxx or Ross did to get the product sooner, more reliably, and in better condition. Both stores still make roughly the same percentage of profit.

Discount stores have lower prices because they basically sell the scraps leftover from regular retailers.