tfx defender

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UltraMarcus28, Dec 12, 2009.

1. UltraMarcus28

UltraMarcus28 Maximal

News Credits:
    wow. as if i weren't already amazed before i went on to their page, and i know that everyone probably knew this already, but they have freaking diecast on it???? to good to be true. maybe the protector will have it too.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

WOW!!!!

I didn't see that yet. I had to Google it to get to the pictures, but that's frickin' AWESOME.

Of course, I'm sure it will also cost a small fortune. But still... *droooool*

zmog

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Prepare your sack to be missing a nut.

This thing is going to cost you. Hopefully it turns out as good as it looks.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd be all over it if it was a $10-$25 dollar toy.

however...

5. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    My hands are excited but, my wallet is worried!

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that will be in my collection, i can see it being 150-200 each though

7. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

8. UltraMarcus28

UltraMarcus28 Maximal

News Credits:
    it looks like an actual fp designed toy rather than an upgrade, however if some how it IS an upgrade to the botcon springer, thats a potentially 300 dollar set. :''''''(

9. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

It is an actual figure. Not an upgrade.

10. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is a stand alone figure. It looks pretty damn good...but it is going to cost at least $150.

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It'll be less than $100 easily. The HOC Prime figure by MasterMindCreation is under $90. And FP's Defender is about the same size or smaller.

12. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, and even though it doesn't have any die cast, the G3 trailer is quite large and heavily engineered yet still came in at $80 or so.

If the Defender is deluxe-ish sized . . . $150 would be high. FP ain't Perfect Effect, lol.

13. Venksta

News Credits:
    Plus, Hasbro warned all the 3rd party groups about $100+ figures. So I'm sure FP will be keeping the cost down. :) 

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Really? That's kind of weird, isn't it? I mean, the cheaper these 3rd party figures get, the more real competition they will mean for Hasbro... especially if it means larger runs on figures like this one.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm all for affordable 3rd party customs. :) 

zmog

15. Venksta

News Credits:
    From what I've heard from the various groups, prices will always be $50+ for full figures, unless they can some how produce 10,000 or more units. And with that amount, they would have to get a retail chain to pick it up, which won't happen, as its another way to cross the line with Hasbro. So since they have to stick with specialty online retailers, like BBTS, they will always have lower runs.

16. OptionZero

News Credits:
    Well, I could see why Hasbro could insist on these companies keeping full figures at $50 or more - that inherently limits the market for those, which by extension limits the demand.

It wouldn't make any sense for Hasbro to tell them to keep price under $100, though. . .

17. Venksta

News Credits:
    I think the $100 limit statement might be due to profit. Hasbro knows the fangroups can't make these items for cheap for the customers. But after some price point, they could be reaping in a lot of profit. So the $100 statement could be a threat to them, and make the groups think Hasbro will come after them for sure at that point, lol. It also makes sure the groups don't do this as a money making business. Just my opinion on the statement.

18. DrillBIT

DrillBIT Silver Wolf

News Credits:
    Wow... that's gonna be one hell of a challenge.
    Choosing material that maintain quality of the toy but at the same time keep the cost low. Only way to get around will probably be doing the redeco thing for each item they release. That way they can make some 10000+ runs and do the paint job later. That way the production cost will go down and meet the criteria

19. OptionZero

News Credits:
    That still doesn't make any sense: Hasbro is going to artificially set a price point to limit profits? WTF?

So FP cannot sell 10 Defenders at $100

but they could sell 20 Defenders at $50?

FP makes the same amount of money. And at under $100, FP is MORE likely to sell MORE figures.

A price floor makes total sense. It shifts FP's target market (adult collectors only) away from Hasbro's target market (adult collectors + mom and dads getting stuff for kids + all the others who bitch about FP's prices).

Lotus did the same thing with the Exige and Elise to beat some federal regulations on their car specs. They manufacture only so many cars and crank the price up to $45-70k, they still make their money, but on fewer cars. Fewer cars = not a worry for fed gov regulatory agencies. Again, a price floor (even if indirect) makes sense.

FansProject is never going to compete with Hasbro products directly, FansProject will never line the shelves of Walmart, TRU, Target, or frankly any mainstream american store. Moreover, products such as the Aerial Appendage set or the CC mold *increase* demand.

A company like I-gear, however, IS competing with Hasbro. Their mini-MP prime is directly going against Hasbro's own MP Prime. They are the same price, just different size (possibly with different colors). You might actually want an I-gear Prime b/c its properly scaled to Grimlock and Starscream and pass on a Hasbro product. Few would buy both.

The rest of the companies are far less prolific and only make add-on stuff; they are just wannabe FP's for now and are of little consequence to Hasbro.

20. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Not true. There is a big difference between revenue and profit. Them selling 20 at $50 is a great deal different then them selling 10 at $100. Simply, lets say that the cost of labor/materials/packaging/electricity/maitenance per unit is $25

FP sells 10 Defenders at $100 = $1000 in revenue, but $750 in profit.
    FP sells 20 Defenders at $50 = $1000 in revenue, but only $500 in profit.

Just because you could sell a lot more at a lower price, doesn't mean you are going to make more profit (although this is over simplified).