TFW's Official History of Transformers - 1984-2014

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Peter Welker

Peter Welker Vector Sigma

Rather the loss of familiar characters coupled with the shift away from realistic vehicles to more futuristic settings and stylings is what probably lost a great many children who followed the toyline.

I liked cars like Sideswipe and Jazz, I liked planes like Skywarp and Starscream and I liked guns like Megatron and Shockwave.
    I ESPECIALLY liked the robot-modes of the seeker triplets because of the wings attached to their back and Megatron's fusion cannon mounted on his arm.

When Kup, Wheelie, Wreck-Gar, Galvatron and Scourge came along I HATED their alt-modes because to me, they were NOT disguises.
    I also hated robots with wrinkles, mustaches and beards (Alpha Trion I did not mind).

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    I love these articles! looking forward to read the rest

iDD

3. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

I enjoyed the movie and I loved Season 3. I didn't get into season 2 until the DVDs came out. Season 3 for me is still the best season. the intro was classic, the stories were darker and mature and Rodimus was more real to me than mr perfect Optimus. And Galvatron being looney was comic relief.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I touched him and he's not got a Hotrod at all - Maybe if I spin his crotch plate around really quickly something will happen...

Oh did I type that out loud ????

P.s.

I'd like Kup to look like this : http://216.194.92.174/pics/72/fo877251t.jpg

5. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

Great articles. 1986 definitely seemed like the Transformers heyday, and then things slowly waned from there. As others have mentioned - it was difficult to feel compassionate for Cybertronian vehicles. Hasbro made a left turn when they abandoned Earth vehicles in the TV shows and media. And the proof is that the Binaltechs and Masterpieces helped spur interest again.

6. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Great work on these Sol! Keep it up!

7. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What a great write up. I'll never forget getting my first transformer. Skywarp, and seeing the commercials for the Transformers cartoon. I think it aired around 10am on the weekend. I have been a huge fan since. When I got a little older I subscribed to the Transformers Marvel comics, and looked forward each month to receiving a new comic in the mail when I got home from school. Great times growing up.

8. darthschroeder

darthschroeder Macro-Con

I brought this up in another section of the boards here, but I really hope that since we are getting an MP Ultra Magnus and Generations Arcee this year, that means we will be seeing some of the other 1986 Transformers in MP form, such as Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Galvatron (I would but multiple Scourges so I could make the Sweep armada), but I really hope that at some point, we are given a really good show accurate Hot Rod. Not a Rodimus Prime/Hot Rod combo, but a true Hot Rod in scale with the other new Autobot MP's.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Please do keep the corrections coming! My ultimate intent is for this to stand as a general introduction to the line once it is completed - I may not go back and make all changes right away since I'm focusing on finishing some bits off for the last chapters, but I'll adjust it all eventually.

10. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  11. TheSupernova

TheSupernova Out there. Thataway.

News Credits:
    I swear these just keep better and better! :) 

In my mind, I think 1987 is where my first solid memories of Transformers begin, as I believe this was the year I got my first two - Beachcomber and Seaspray for my birthday early that year (I would have been five at the time).

I remember the day I got them, we had went out for a little while, only to come back and find that our family dog (who was only a pup at the time) had got a hold of poor Beachcomber, pretty much gnawing off the rollcage. Funny, I don't recall being too upset, and playing with both of those toys so much during that time.

I still have those toys (and all of my other Transformers I had as a child), and I've often thought of trying to patch up ol' Beachcomber. But, maybe I should leave him as he is...too many memories!

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I like those other Insects that are redeco of the Beetras designs - they are cool - I suspect they are fake - but they are so neat I wish they'd been Transformers too - especially the Hercules Beetle and the Praying Mantis.

Perhaps Fansproject might be feeling retro-future enough to make something like that sometime. especially that ladybird/ladybug.

I really want her to be a fembot Decepticon/Insecticon.

13. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Defender of the Ark

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me 1987 was the last good year for the original Transformers. I mean I guess its really hard to top Fortress Maximus. I remember none of the Transformers toys were really appealing (to me at least) after this series. The animated series had ended, and I wasn't really into the comics. I still think Hasbro should have comissioned as many of the Marvel/Sunbow VA's to dub the japanese series, which would keep the fanbase strong for an additional 3 years, but sadly that never happened.

14. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is awesome.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    Great stuff sol and buster on the cover of Car wash of doom looks like he is about to channel his inner Gordon Freeman.

16. Beemer

Beemer Coined "Sunbowner" TM (C) R

News Credits:
    Eff you, 1986. You ruined my life!

17. DarkPrinceofKaon

DarkPrinceofKaon Formaly known as D'POK

Ebay:
    This is some very fascinating stuff! I'm really enjoying thee articles. You have outdone yourself, Mazz.

18. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Oh I can't take any credit for these, mate, it is purely the work and time of Sol Fury, no involvement from me at all. He wrote them and he deserves your complete and undiluted adoration :) 

All the best
    Maz

19. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

I was totally obsessed with Transformers in 86 & 87. But I have no memory of anything from 88. Somewhere between 87 & 88 I lost all interest & stopped paying attention. The cartoon was horrible after the movie & the toy line was turning to shit. The return of Optimus Prime was the final nail for me. Bringing Optimus back made the entire movie pointless & I was really pissed over it. It was such a dick move! They pretty much ruined everything after the movie & I knew G1 would be dead soon. Then they killed the line with the Micro & Action Masters. Back then I got the feeling they were tired of it all & didn't know where to take the story so they killed the line on purpose with the Action Masters. It looked pretty deliberate to me. Anybody with half a brain could tell the Transformers that didn't Transform = death of the line. And I was totally right!

20. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Actually the Action Masters were less a suicide and more a case of follow the leader, since Action figures were in vogue at the time. There's a bit more on that in the 1990 article which is coming on Monday.

Today though it's the turn of 1988, which is arguably where they went too far with gimmickry and introduced the Pretenders. But it's also when a new Optimus Prime rolled out to store shelves!

30 Years of Transformers in 30 Days - 1988 - Transformers News - TFW2005