TFW's Official History of Transformers - 1984-2014

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Beast Wars is part of G1. :thumbs2: 

2. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well wrriten article I look forward to see whats next. I was 1yr old when Transformers came out and my mom loved the show, and we'd watch it together and I loved it before I knew what love was. I'm not sure when but around 3yrs old in 1986 my mom and dad gave me Runabout as a surprise and I started bawling. They were like "Whats wrong honey you love Transformers?" and all I could say was "But he's a bad guy! I don't wanna be a bad guy!" so the next day my Dad went to Child World and bought me Jetfire like a boss. I got more but I didn't get core characters like Optimus, Jazz, and Bumblebee till G2.

3. son of jor el

son of jor el Well-Known Member

Wow I was introduced to transformers on the bozo show.......I guess I'm the only one from illinois.......damn I'm embarrassed.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

("Yesterday." That's little SQ7 :) )

[​IMG]

(Today, nearly 30 years later, as most of those are photoed here as well, I'm proud to say.)

Thanks, Sol, for this. :dj 

5. toyskingstudio

toyskingstudio New Member

I enjoy reading this article so much.
    Also, I can't believe it's been 30 years, I've enjoyed TF for 30 years.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Bravo for your research and writing.

Funny thing about the Diaclone Transformers, I actually had a pilot figure at one point. (I had Diaclone Lambo and the black van) so I tried to put him in other TF's at the time. He did fit in the Prowl/Bluestreak mold but only in vehicle form. There was a hatch to get him into the Hoist/Trailbreaker's seat. Wheeljack's canopy lifted to reveal a seat. I never owned a Jazz. Oddly enough he fit in Mirage's cockpit but would be hanging out upside down from Mirage's neck in robot form. Kind of a hard position to fight alien invaders from.

When I was little I was always a little angry when the comics and the cartoon weren't in the same "universe". This was probably my first real exposure to "alternate continuities". I chuckle at myself now, hey we were all young once.

I wish I could remember the first time I saw THIS:

I still think this might not be the right one because I could swear the Autobot Trio (Prowl/Jazz/Sideswipe) were flying. But it's got black head Megatron and Thundercracker as the lead seeker. I was all over "the car guy with wings" (Prowl) until about a second later when it was "Truck DUDE! I want the truck dude!"

Funny thing is in my mind I figured (Prowl) was the leader and (Optimus) was some sort of "Heavy weapon for emergencies and special episodes" which is funny because that's what Grimlock ultimately became.

Oh and my 1st TF's were Thundercracker and Bumblebee. I think I got Thundercracker 1st, and Mom threw in for the mini-bot so I could have a good guy to fight the bad guy. (Imagine what a one sided fight that would have been?). I love that those two still to this day get "screen time" (okay maybe not the yellow menace, that guy's everywhere!) but when both DW and IDW had TC/BB specific story lines, I loved it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  8. ropey wyla

ropey wyla Active Member

ah the 80's, being from the UK I remember having to sit through what seemed like hours of Timmy Mallet before we would get edited episodes of G1 Transformers that lasted about 10 minutes if that, they would always end on a cliff hanger and I absolutely loved them and still do to this day. The artwork was great, the music was fantastic and the suspense created by the editing and short duration of the episodes made it the most exiting cartoon on the box.

9. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Good work!!

Wow, I had that spectrum transformers game! It was great!!

10. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Gotta get to sleep somehow...

News Credits:
    Hahaha! Wow!! Holy shit I remember that!!! it was
    In the school holidays!! I particularly remember the Jetfire discovery episode, because I had to back to school on the day of the last episode! So I pretended I was sick so I could stay home and watch it!!!

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WHOA!!

You outdid the last one!! SPECTACULAR JOB!!

I never knew this
    "Notably while Blitzwing was taken from the Diaclone toy line, Astrotrain was developed from a concept that had initially been rejected for Diaclone, making him one of the first Transformers toys to be developed entirely for the Transformers toy line, rather than just an import of an existing Japanese toy. "

I had the commodore game..forgot all about that..it was actually really fun at the time.

Reading about the marvel run, makes me want to bust out my old comics. I LOVE the marvel TF run..and Man of Iron..is probably my all time fav TF story.

Your doing a really, REALLY good job with these.

Dave

12. Oneiros

Oneiros Well-Known Member

Great articles. Thanks very much for researching and writing these!!

13. O.Supreme

O.Supreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1985 was when I really stepped up my involvement and became a true fan. Also purchased the toy of my namesake, and once I saw the episode "The Secret of Omega Supreme" that solidified him as my favorite character down to this day

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I was wondering, since Optimus was called "Convoy" in Japan for all those years, how was the name change to "Optimus Prime" for the live action movie received there? Must have been strange.

15. haventgrownup

haventgrownup Procrastinator

I'm very much enjoying the "30 Days of Transformers" 30th Anniversary Countdown.

They're very well written. I only saw a few grammatical errors (at most) and one or two points that might be debatable or possibly not 100% inaccurate. Considering the length of these and that much of the toyline and original media's origins are shrouded in memory-clouded mystery, that's saying a lot for them. They're even - from an academic point-of-view very well constructed.

Anyhow, even though there's little to no new information for me (so far), I've been enjoying them a great deal.

I do think that it would be great to have nicer specimens of the toys to show in the pictures. That bothered me in the unofficial Alvarez guides - they didn't/don't seem like pics of the releases as they were, but of a specific copy of a toy that's had 25+ years of specific trauma to them. For these articles, it's just fine, because they're not that bad, and this isn't a visual guide to the toys.

Very big thanks and kudos to those putting these together.

16. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    Thanks for the article, I'm enjoying reading these. My first Transformer was probably Hound (either him or Snarl)... I got both at a thrift store. For some reason, I had difficulty ever getting new TF toys as a kid. I think Swindle's the only one I ever actually bought off a shelf, and my parents didn't buy me any. All the rest were thrift shop finds- or bought at a sci-fi convention I went to once as a teen. (Japanese Rumble (or was it Frenzy?) in a box with all his accessories!)

One possible correction, though- the article says there are four two part stories produced in the second season. But you didn't include Starscream's Brigade and Revenge of Bruticus- and that is a two-part story. (Also one of my favorites, and why I still love the Combaticons. ;) )

17. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I got Omega Supreme for Christmas that year, and my brother got Astrotrain. It turns out getting a transformer that dissassembles down into dozens of parts to transform for a five year old has a downside. I think I transformed him twice before loosing the yellow clips for the legs. Still got parts of him though.

I also remember the smelting pit. How poor Scrounge's death didn't traumatize the kids reading it, I'll never know. That was by far the worst death I'd seen a character suffer at that point.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    keep up the great work Sol.

19. KnightStrike

KnightStrike Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This was really cool! Talk about nostalgia, got me to thinking about riding my bike to the drug store to pick up the old Marvel comics!

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Just a joy to read.

Didn't know that tidbit about Astrotrain ... that's really neat!