TFW's Official History of Transformers - 1984-2014

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2014.

1. SuperOptimus

SuperOptimus shot Megs & Hotrod in '86

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and by the way Sol Fury......the last "era" that you stated starting from 2007 isn't over........ it'll continue on because
    M.Bay is making atleast one more movie, maybe two, which may be no sooner than 2016.

2. sideswipe1978

sideswipe1978 Autobot

I can still remember watching the first episode on this day in 1984 and then wanting more MORE MORE!!! then bugging my parents for a TF until christmas.

3. the botmaster74

the botmaster74 A Study in Scarlet

......Dear lord, the first Episode aired today? Well, in that case, HAPPY 30TH TRANSFORMERS!!

:bday  :music  :bay 

Here's hoping for another 30 years!

4. Odd Creature

Odd Creature New Member

30 years? Wow. I remember KSFY out of Sioux Falls, SD playing the original three part mini series followed by one of the original GI Joe minis that week. I was entranced from the first minute, was in second grade at the time. The channel must have only had one open time slot for the two shows and they stuck with Transformers. Liked GI Joe too, but Transformers was where it was at for me.

5. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus Page D'Ecriture Spy Cousin Jeice

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yay. Happy 30 years of The Transformers.

6. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

There must have been something to those old shows, and reading interviews with the people who wrote those characters, I think the characters were a big part of it, because I was really to old at the time to watch Transformers, but I did.

1984 - by then I was 14 and 15 years old, and getting into other things, like girls and drugs and being bad, heck by 1983 I was pretty much clapped out of my beloved Star Wars, but I still wanted to watch Transformers all that I could.

No other property of the time captured my interest. No GI Joe, no Thundercats or He-man or anything. Just Transformers. I loved the stories about Cybertron and the history. Behind all those goofy stories was a really interesting backstory that I was fascinated by.

And one day I went to my TV and the Transformers had all changed. No Optimus Prime. No Megatron. No Starscream. I understood there was a movie out there, one that I was too old to see and didn't care about really, and I was totally turned off Transformers. I didn't know what the hell happened, but at season 3 I did know I didn't want to watch it anymore. That was the end for me until a much much later time. But man I sure did dig on those original TV shows.

7. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Thanks a ton for all your hard work Sol. Reading your anniversary posts gave me chills this year, and it really made this milestone feel special, and I'm glad to be a part of it on the best TF site on the web. Till all are one. :bay 

8. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

Great article. I still remember the first episode to this day 30 years ago and that magic feeling of being pulled into the Transformers universe.

This may seem weird, but all of the music is still stuck in my head from the first season. From the opening and closing credits, to all the little songs and odd space sounds throughout the various scenes. I think the sounds were so different from any other tv show at the time. And the music helped portray characters so well. For instance the trumpet music made Optimist Prime seem like a great commander (in addition to the all the traits that he displayed and his voice). ;) 

9. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

if the younger snoop could look into the future and see the older snoop's collection of transformers, lego and countless other nerd stuff and then to have a picture of peter cullen and myself sitting on my desk together while he is autographing a masterpiece optimus prime figure.... dear Lord!! happy birthday transformers!!!!!!

10. desuGoji

desuGoji Banned

I remember coming home from school and watching GI Joe and Transformers back to back, then going outside to play.

Great time.

11. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was 9 when Transformers first aired. I remember seeing promos on TV for the first episode, and making sure I set my alarm so I didn't miss it. I believe it aired for me in New York at 11:00 am on a Saturday or Sunday on channel 11 or 12. Sadly I had to wait a whole week to see More than meets the eye part 2, and then 3. After the first 3 aired I remember seeing an advertisement for Transformers to have its new daily times slot every day in the afternoon following GI Joe. Ahhh, loved the afternoons after school with back to back episodes of GI Joe and the Transformers. Good times!

12. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

play outside!!!! what is that? do kids still do that these days? can't get mine off of his damn x-box long enough to take a bath let alone go and play ball outside for 10 damn minutes!!!
    :) 

13. TannerC1234

TannerC1234 Member

Happy birthday to the Transformers G1 Cartoon!

14. SoundWave88

SoundWave88 Neo-Con

Happy Birthday, thanks for an awesome 30 years. Glad you're still around and hoping for another 30!

The 80's were great. I was 8 yrs. old when this aired, and I was front and center in front of the television. We would rush home from school, watch cartoons, then go out and play. Godzilla, Kung-Fu theater, He-Man, GI Joe, MASK, Speed Racer, Ultraman, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Underdog, Voltron, and on and on and on. But Transformers has always been number 1 from that time period. Owning the dvd's now, I still get a kick out of watching them. Classic!!!

15. Superion1701

Superion1701 Supreme Leader

Thirty years ago, I came home from school and turned on the TV.

A big red truck turned into a robot and I was hooked!

16. metplex45

metplex45 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even though I highly doubt it will continue for another 30,but,who knows :p 

17. mOnEy88

mOnEy88 New Member

Happy 30th Years Anniversary!!!

18. CosmoPrime

CosmoPrime Member

I remembered that one summer day in 1984, I was wondering the street in Chinatown New York City while my grandmother was at the Mahjong parlor, there I stumbled apon a toy store that was kind of hidden away. Once I entered the store, I thought I was in heaven, wall to wall full of Japanese toys, I have some of the money that my grandma gave me from her winnings to buy one toy, the toy that I got was a mini version of a vehicle combiner robot, I played that robot for an hour and found out I don't like that toy, so I went back to return the toy, the owner said there will be no returns but I can exchange for a different one of the same price and showed me the display counter full of boxed Transformers. I was so excited to see the wall full of toys that I forgot to see the display counter that was in front of me that the first time I was there. It took me a few minutes to decide and finally I selected Sunstreaker. That was my first Transformer and is one of my favorite toy to play with, it have so many alt-modes, besides the robot and car modes, there are mech, Jeiwalker, plane/sub modes. Since that day, I loved going to Chinatown with my grandma and hope she keep on winning at the mahjong parlor to buy me toys. From that day forward, I became a Transformers and other transformable toy collector and still collecting after 30 years.:) 

There are a few memorable toys I got from that toy store like Daiclone Starscream with mini robot that fitted inside the cockpit. Unfortunately, I gave that away because the left wing was a little loose. :-( There is a pre-Transformers Shockwave, he is in mint condition and the electronic still works. A pre-Voltron vehicle Voltron, he was the biggest combiner at that time and I think he still is. And many mores... :) 

19. jamz

jamz Repaint! Repaint! Repaint TFW2005 Supporter

I too watched it live 30 years ago today.

20. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Happy 30th...time flies...