TFW's Official History of Transformers - 1984-2014

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for all the complements guys! It was a blast reminding myself of all of this over the last seven or eight months that it took to pull everything together, and I am extremely happy with the way its been received.

It's how I always wanted the anniversary to be celebrated, because ultimately, there is good and bad in every year and every line, and it is all special and worthy of recognition :) 

Here's to the thirty years, and here's to many more!

2. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

This was a terrific series. I read every single post and enjoyed them all. Great job!

3. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

A jolly good show of Transformers history throughout the years! Time I make an origami tribute to dedicate the 30 years!

Transform and Roll Out! :D 

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I think I skimmed only one or two posts; the rest were read in full, and really gave a wonderful (and objective) retrospective of the franchise. This was a really nice love letter to both Transformers and the fans, and the effort that went into this piece is greatly appreciated.

Here's to another 30 years!

5. TFcustoms91

TFcustoms91 Well-Known Member

:bday  Transformers looking forward to the next 30 years long live Transformers:) 

6. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Long live 1984.

7. DarthusPrime

DarthusPrime Well-Known Member

a blessed 30th years guys!

8. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is awesome, thank you for all the work compiling all this information. I understood a lot of things, specially at the dawn of the G1 period.

9. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    :bday 

10. Líder Optimus

Líder Optimus Well-Known Member

Congratulations for a well-writen series of articles, Sol Fury! Made me feel like a kid again rediscovering the magic that was growing up during G1 and falling in love with TFs again during Beast Wars... good times :) 

11. captainfantasy

captainfantasy Der Komissar

News Credits:
    West Coast, 'cause you know it's the best coast.
    Hello,
    From a longtime lurker, I just wanted to say thank you to Sol for this series of posts, as it has really been one of the most complete and compelling things on the subject that I have ever read. It has been great reliving the past, and reaffirming the reason why I have spent so much of my time (and money) devoted to this franchise.
    I was there in the beginning with Trailbreaker being my first Transformer. I remember throwing the box away after pulling the figure out, and not realizing that the accessories where in a hidden compartment in the cardboard insert. Fortunately I realized what was going on before the garbage truck came.
    I remember looking at the toy catalog inserts, and being in utter amazement of these figures, and would be the last things I would look at before I went to bed.
    I remember being on the playground in 1st grade having a pretty serious discussion about the insecticons, and fighting over which one of us "got to be Bombshell".
    I remember the smell of those little Transformer erasers that were probably knock offs, that partsformed from car to robot.
    I remember looking at the toy machine at K-Mart, where for the cost of $.25 somewhere amongst all the bubbles I might be lucky enough to get that bad-ass Transformer digital watch.
    The point being is that we all have such great memories of the joys and the wonderment of the Transformers. I really enjoyed reading others comments about what got them started, their favorite figures, the ones they wished they had, or wished they hadn't gotten rid of. The series that meant the most, the one that was outright terrible, and in depth arguments that point out the virtues of each. As with any fandom, the bickering is always fun, taken with a grain of salt, but from an old GEEWUNNER like myself, we all have one thing in common: There's just that something about Transformers.

As I am writing this I'm watch the Shout! Factory editions of the Transformers Headmasters cartoons, surrounded by shelves of figures representing my life's work, and I just wanted to say Thank you Hasbro/Takara/Sunbow/Mainframe/Marvel/IDW etc. and every person that has been involved in maintaining 30 years of greatness! May there be many more years to come.

12. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Captainfantasy you should post more, lurk less bro. That post perfectly articulated how I feel as well. A big THANK YOU to Sol Fury for this labor of love. This is what I will remember when I think of the 30th anniversary of Transformers. Always. That's what makes this franchise & fandome special. It's from our own ranks that some of the best things come. Look at this site, Tony did this. Not Has/Tak a fan. Long live the community. Long Live The Transformers.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

What they said, those were excellent Sol. Its one of the things that seperates this site from the rest.

People may be going through withdrawals from reading your articles soon, may have to do more.
    A movie trilogy one would be fun, would get everyone more pumped for TF4.

14. KnightStrike

KnightStrike Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for these articles Sol Fury! They have been wonderfully informative and very nostalgic at the same time.

15. Megacluts

Megacluts Well-Known Member

after more than 20 years since the finish of the g1 cartoons, we saw the release of many 3rd party and master piece figures which are awesome figures to own for all collectors.

I held some hope that there will be a whole new story line featuring the g1 characters that appeared throughout the series, with far better animation etc. Its unlikely

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Well-Known Member

Captain Fantasy, that was beautiful. I don't post much either, but I think about Transformers literally every day, I have about 5 custom projects on the go right now, a massive collection that shows no signs of slowing down, and I'm always on the news sites. I've already thanked Sol earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again: these posts have been beautiful, and we appreciate the large amount of work/time/energy/research these must have taken!

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

:bday 

Well Sol, you did it. Mission Accomplished.

I think the nice thing about the retrospective is that even if there's a version of TF you don't like (Movies, Prime,) if you're patient you can hope they do it better the next time.

Now,,,,

about that poster from 2015,,,,,?

18. HulkernautPrime

HulkernautPrime Marvel-ous Autobot

Fantastic, Fantastic read! This Old fart is turning forty and I remember running home after school just to catch the episodes of G1 Transformers. We didn't have a lot of money and my dad was the bread winner while mom held down the fort with 5 kids. I was shocked when he let me buy my first gobot (pathfinder) and my brother got cykill. My first transformer came later and it was wheeljack bought at kmart I think. My second was Devastator from Target, which I saved all my birthday money to get, but I had to return it because it was missing pieces. I ended up getting a G1 devastator 26 yrs later on craigs list along with G1 Shockwave and G1 Ultra Magnus, $130 for the lot. Memories.....thank you for re sparking them.

sorry my phone froze and acted like it didn't take the quote. So in a frustrated attempt to not rewritethis quote (which I did anyways) I kept smacking the post quick reply button. How embarrassing dorry guys.

19. HulkernautPrime

Fantastic, Fantastic read! This Old fart is turning forty and I remember running home after school just to catch the episodes of G1 Transformers. We didn't have a lot of money and my dad was the bread winner while mom held down the fort with 5 kids. I was shocked when he let me buy my first gobot (pathfinder) and my brother got cykill. My first transformer came later and it was wheeljack bought at kmart I think. My second was Devastator from Target, which I saved all my birthday money to get, but I had to return it because it was missing pieces. I ended up getting a G1 devastator 26 yrs later on craigs list along with G1 Shockwave and G1 Ultra Magnus, $130 for the lot. Memories.....thank you for re sparking them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  20. HulkernautPrime

Fantastic, Fantastic read. Thank you so much for that tid bit and wikipedia-esq history.

To be honest it gave me a wonderful flashback of my first gobot purchased by my father. It was at a local Kmart and my brother got cykill. We didnt have much money because my dad was the bread winner while mom stayed home with the 5 kids. We were surprised he allowed us to get those neat little figures. Shortly after for my birthday I was allowed to pick out my first transformer, wheeljack. I will never forget that moment. I also saved up enough birthday money to purchase the devastator set from Target, but I had to return it due to missing pieces. The excessive tape on the box should have given that away.

Fast forward 26 yrs and voila! I found a complete G1 original Devastator, G1 Shockwave, and a G1 complete Ultra Magnus. $130 for the lot. I'm convinced it was fate and that had to have been the one I returned with the extra pieces located.

Ahhhh sweet memories! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.