TFW's Official History of Transformers - 1984-2014

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2014.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ah 2013 one of the finest years of my time as a collector as i obtain a figure that until them may as well have been made of unobtanium, G1 Fort Max. Before that though i landed Titan Metroplex.

great year to be a collector. kind of sad there is but one day left of the count down, but all good things must end.

2. TFcustoms91

TFcustoms91 Well-Known Member

FOC was a awesome video game the figures looked ok Hasbro could have made the rest of the Dinobots and the rest of the Insecticons and made Vortex and Blastoff the right colors.

The new video game Rise of the Dark Spark better be just as good

3. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    ahh 2013, the second year in the fandom where there was nothing tf related that interested me (aside from AOE news)

luckly now we are in the year where i do have something to look foward; TF: AOE :) , sadly the suffering of nothing interesting tf-wise will come back next year 2015 and in 2016, if TF5 is indeed coming in 2017, damn those 3 years break!

4. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Though 2013 kept my interest mainly in Doctor Who, with the 50th Anniversary and the regeneration of my favorite Doctor, I was immensely impressed with the third season of TF: Prime, and as a Bumblebee fan, I highly enjoyed Deadlock and Predacons Rising. Predaking is easily one of the great anti-villains of the show, and even if I got him in 2014, I'm still glad I own him. I managed to get one new Transformer in 2013, that being FoC Soundwave with Laserbeak.

5. lambi

lambi Well-Known Member

Great write ups! I've enjoyed them so much! Happy 30th everyone! With the comics the best they've ever been and the generations toys being made nowadays (just got an email saying swerve and cosmos are heading my way) it's a great time to be a fan! Not a huge fan of the movie franchise, but it means the world of transformers is going to be as big as ever for some time still!

6. Decepticonprime

Decepticonprime Active Member

very nice write up Transformers are one of a kind.

7. TFcustoms91

TFcustoms91 Well-Known Member

The last season TF Prime Beast Hunters was awesome Optimus Prime had a cool new look Predaking was a fire breathing dragon and Megatron was taken out by Bumblebee Predacons Rising was the unfortunate end to TF Prime nothing good last forever.

A lot of the Beast Hunters figures looked great Bulkhead Ratchet and Megatron looked terrible Hasbro should have made a blue Smokescreen instead they made 4 different versions of Bumblebee thanks Hasbro for not making a blue version of Smokescreen.

8. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    So, tomorrow marks the 30th anniversary TO THE DAY (when toys hit the shelves)... Happy Anniversary Transformers!

9. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Then you'll be a negative fan again..

10. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Still a few pages back (2010-11). (pg 30 for my personal reference)

But the nice thing about Sol Fury's round up, is it puts a definitive timeline on my "hobby". (since at this point in my life work, family and other obligations put TF collecting/fandom on the back burner)

AHM was an ambitious story but probably shouldn't have been shoe-horned into the main IDW continuity. Frankly it made a bit of a mess, and almost derailed all of IDW for me. (the non-TF crossovers in continuity were even worse). This was just an editorial error from a new company and hopefully a learning experience, not to be repeated.

I don't mind wacky, ambitious stories, (X-Files/TF, Mars Attacks/TF) just don't try to put them in continuity.

Hunt for Decepticons was probably the best line in years, the Bayformers aspect was dialed back, but the transformations were very original, even some of the package bios had some life, after being forgettable ad copy for years. ("Butter Prime seeks REVENGE!")

Unfortunately this is where fandom and Walmart corporate buyers finally came to a point of no return. They'd order maybe one wave so 90% of the stuff was damn-near impossible to find. Admittedly I was/am very selective about what I get. I have no need for 20 versions of Bumblebee, and even one version of Bayverse Sideswipe is fine. But I pulled my hair out looking for Terradive, Straxus (Darkmount) and others. As far as I know the only time I saw a Windcharger was loose & well used in a bin in a thrift shop and STILL had a pretty high asking price.

This period is more marked by regrets of "damnit I saw him once and didn't buy it" (Animated Wreck-Gar & Ultra Magnus) which lead to my current impulse buy method (which my wife hates).

Add to this a 3 year old and sadly most of my TF's purchased in the last 3 years are still in boxes as I can't bring myself to open them after taking so long to find them. The most glaring exception being FOC Bruticus which I had to purchase all at once (can't get stuck with 4/5ths can I?) and then opened during a recovery from a foot fracture. (He's cool but suffers from typical FOC toy thin-ness and so far has held up well to 3 year old abuse.) I also bought at pair (!?!) of WFC Grimlocks gave one to my nephew as a gift then after playing with his for a few minutes returned mine, preferring the more stable Animated Grim.

But WFC/FOC is probably my pinnacle of what a TF game could be for now, and I'm sorry HighMoon isn't around anymore to make a 3rd, Earth-based chapter (though TPTB would probably enforce a Bayverse aesthetic).

I look forward to the wrap up of the reviews this weekend, but I fear that, barring the IDW comics, the rest of the story will be of a brand coming off of a peak. I'm not all that enthused about TF4 but I'll watch it. IDW is very promising, but the question will be, will I be able to get more IDW-based toys or will they be pushed off the shelf for pegwarming TF4 toys?

We shall see,,,,, we shall see,,,

11. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, it marks the day of issue 1 of the comic coming out. I believe that was before the toys.

12. jametron

jametron Halfway to Heaven, under horsepower of my own…

News Credits:
    You're right! I misread the blurb...

13. seanb47

seanb47 FB:SBee'sCustomCreations IG@sbees_custom_creations

Ebay:
    It has been a great joy and absolute pleasure following each of these write ups. I looked forward to it each day as my fiancé can attest. Regardless of the bumps in the road of the brand the highs far out weight them. Happy 30th Transformers fans!

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Happy birthday, Transformers.

15. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Well-Known Member

Congrats to Sol Fury on realizing your dream! These entries have all been awesome, and Transformers fans like myself thank you for compiling so much information and writing these with such detail, and frankly, love.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
  17. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    We made it! An awesome 30 years and here's to 30 more!

18. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    This is going to be a great year.Happy Birthday,Transformers."Till All Are One!"

19. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Til all are one!

Happy Birthday Transformers, a series that I hold so dearly to my heart. Here's to many more great years.

Thank you Sol Fury for that wonderful retrospective, it was a very enjoyable read that I will no doubt read again.

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Happy 30th anniversary to a great saga!