TFW's 2010 Game of the Year Thread of obligatory WFC Voting

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    It's time for everyone's favourite part of the year, the only place where it's possible to make grown men cry. The 2010 Game of the Year thread! Woooo.

You are to make a single choice for each category, briefly explaining why you made the choice you did and all posts will be tallied up to give us what we believe is the game of the year along with many other things.

This year's categories are:

Retail Game of the Year: (A game for any main console/PC that came out between December 21st 2009 and December 21st 2010, which you feel is the game of the year)

Handheld Game of the Year: (For your gameboys, PSP's, DS's and iPhones)

DLC of the Year: (Which DLC was special for you in 2010 and stood out as being the cream of the crop? Undead Nightmare, Shadow Broker, Claptrap's Revolution etc etc)

Downloadable Game of the Year: (If Pac-Man CE DX doesn't win, certain people may or may not riot)

Have fun :) 

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Retail Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2 Xbox 360, because the campaign, music, Characters and design are epic.
    Handheld Game of the Year: Haven't played for a year :confused2 

DLC of the Year: I actually really liked the first WFC DLC, because it gave you some awesome escalation maps + really cool characters.
    Downloadable Game of the Year: Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's because it's a really fun game with lots of replay value. (I haven't got pack man yet >_>)

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's Pac-Man, kid. Not Pack man.

:mad 

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    • Retail Game of the Year: This for myself is really, really hard to choose. I'm tied between the fantastic world and immersive gameplay of Mass Effect 2, which are also traits that tie well to Red Dead Remeption and of course there is another game by the name of Halo: Reach that not only exceeded my expectations but actually made shooting people in the face highly enjoyable again.

My final choice is: Red Dead Redemption. Mainly due to the fantastic characters, the most accessable open world game i've ever played along with it being the most rewarding. Also it's story's payoff its just exceptional. Add John Marston to the elite list of genuine video game heroes. The gameplay elements just all worked perfectly, I especially loved the mutlitude of ways of handling a situation. Disarm them, kill them then skin it, run away, shoot 'em in their nuts, slow down time, accidently shoot your own horse in the head. All feel good moments.

• Handheld Game of the Year: Now i haven't played many Handheld games this year mainly due to not owning an Iphone and it not being a field I put much time into but there was one stand out game.

My final choice is: Dragon Quest IX. This is down to it having tried and testing RPG elements that not only kept myself genuinely occupied and enthralled but made me want to carry on the story to the very end. I enjoyed the changes with all the adjustments possible to outfits and weapons, thus making it a very personal experience.

• DLC of the Year: Lair of the Shadow Broker or Undead Nightmare. Hmmm one added something to the whole game experience and story while the other just made me dislike the undead even more.

My final choice is: Lair of the Shadow Broker. DLC that actually made an elite class game even better by fleshing out it's world to perfection and making gameplay elements still highly exciting and fresh. It's DLC I found to be so good I had to play through it all twice.

• Downloadable Game of the Year: Its currently another 3 way race between Costume Quest, Puzzle Quest 2 and Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement. All three have their positives but also had negatives too thus not making them perfect games but each were lots and lots of fun to play.

My final choice is: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX. Bait and switch baby! It's Pac-Man, it has epic music, its all about chasing highscores and rubbing your friends face in it and who would have thought in 2010 Pac-Man would still be relevant. So much fun, so little time, what else did you really expect? :) 

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Retail - God of War 3 the only game I bought the day it was out, everything else I waited for a discounted price. I love the GOW style of gameplay.

Handheld - I only have a PSP and my only vote goes to Patapon 2 because it's the only game I bought for it this year. Yup I suck!

DLC - Can I vote for the Resident Evil 5 DLC I loved that?

PSN (Download) - Yup Pac-Man DX has it hands down I have an S ranking on all but 1 level last I checked on Saturday. I've got all my PSN friends beat I rock at the Pac!

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Game of the Year: Darksiders
    Sure, this game pulls gameplay mechanics from places like God of War and Zelda, but the final product is a solid title that is really fun to play. I loved the story, voice acting, characters, combat, environments, enemies, and puzzles. I don't think I disliked a single thing about Darksiders. The fact that it was something new in a year of sequals makes it my top pick.

To be continued...

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Is Darksiders not relesed in 2009 ?

Retail: I am thorn between Castlevania and GoW. I love Kratos and all of his skills, moves and attitude. The castlevania is however equally good and with such beautiful scenery in some places it is ridicules. I chose only becvause of favoritesm and Castlevania is my favorit game series of all time I go with that.

Winner: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

Handheld: Havent bought any.

DLC: Hardely dl anything.

Downloadable game: Havent downloaded anything new.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Retail Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2 (360). Um, because it was the best at everything.

Handheld Game of the Year: Valkyria Chronicles, because it's like a PS3 big brother, only smaller. Runner-up:
    my hand

DLC of the Year: Undead Nightmare, because those squealing Zombies scare the shit outta me.

Downloadable Game of the Year: Sorry (Pack-man, lol), but Dead Nation for me. That's been some serious dualstick fun, and the Meta Date portion makes the whole thing more epic.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Retail Game of the Year: Bayonetta

Handheld Game of the Year: Can't say cause I don't play 'em.

DLC of the Year: Resident Evil 5

Downloadable Game of the Year: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Retail GotY: I'm gonna say Red Dead Redemption, mainly because I never played Mass Effect 2. The world of the wild west was so big and just visually stunning. Simple gameplay, fantastic lead character and voice-acting. All-around amazing game.

Handheld GotY: Haven't played any, but I'm gonna give it to Super Scribblenauts.

DLC of the Year: Undead Nightmare. THAT is how you do a DLC expansion. You felt like you were playing a completely different game.

Downloadable GotY: Screw Pac-Man, I'm giving it to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Awesome old-school visuals, the music was infectious and it wasn't a push-over of a game. It had a really good amount of difficulty to it, even on it's easiest mode.

11. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    First week of January, 2010

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Retail Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2. I played this game so much. So so so so much. I have a bad habit of skipping cut scenes in games now becase I think they're just too long but I was hanging on every word. And I wouldn't finish the game unless I knew my crew was surviving with Shepard.

Handheld Game of the Year: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. 20 hours in and I haven't had a single moment where I put the game down from boredom or frustration.

DLC of the Year: Undead Nightmare. Big, long and terrifying. What more can I ask for?

Downloadable Game of the Year: Limbo.

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Heh, that was too specific to not be intentional.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TWSS?

15. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Retail game of the year: Black Ops
    Handheld game of the year: WFC Autobots. That's the only Handheld I've played.
    DLC of the year: Nothing so far.
    Downloadble Game of the year: X-men Arcade game.

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    : D

What can I say, the little things amuse me. hah

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Retail Game of the Year: Mass Effect 2
    Handheld Game of the Year: Kirby Superstars Ultra
    DLC of the Year: Dead Rising 2: Case Zero
    Downloadable Game of the Year: Pac-Man CE DX wins. Pac-Man CE DX wins forever.

18. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Downloadable Game of the Year: X-Men Arcade.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lies!! I saw you playing "I MADE A GAME WITH ZOMBIES" when ME2 was out.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Retail Game of the Year: Red Dead Redemption
    Handheld Game of the Year: Pokemon Heart Gold
    DLC of the Year: Undead Nightmare
    Downloadable Game of the Year: N/A

Honourable mentions: