TFW'ers, show us your Guitar Chops!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LatinJEM777, Jan 24, 2008.

1. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

I have always been allured by guitar, especially people who desmonstrate monster control over the thing, and not necessarily by super fast shredding! I'm majorly influenced by Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. But lately I'm more influenced by modern metal, anything from All that Remains to All Shall Perish and Beneath the Massacre.

I'm trying out for my college's talent show today, and the show is next week, and I think I have a really solid chance of winning it, and I think there's a cash prize! So here is a link to what I (kind of) plan on playing on my myspace. This was what
    I played at U of M's talent show two years ago (Titled Talent Show Recording).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53507872

The version I'm playing this year might be sans the techno-shred-wankery thing, and the full-length backing track of For the Love of God by Steve Vai. Let me know what you think of my chops! Wish me luck! If I win, I plan on getting myself an 80G PS3!

Anyways, I want to hear fellow transfans; guitar chops!

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Wow! That's awesome. I am jealous of good guitar players or people who can even play guitar... :lol . I wish you luck (even though you probably won't need it!)

3. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds great. Nice tone and playing. You're definitely better than I am. How long have you been playing?

Lately I'm very frustrated with playing. I've completely hit a wall. I just can't get my left hand fingers any faster than they have been the last few years, and I can't sync up very well when trying to do sweep arpeggios or string skipping licks like Paul Gilbert has mastered. My "shredding" is just pathetic.

If I were to join a band I'd definitely just have to be the rhythm player :( 

4. BlitzFire

BlitzFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    go to youtube and type in Andy McKee

INCREDIBLE guitar skills

5. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Sure but does he post here

6. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I can do the open power chords!!

7. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I hear ya man. In all the years I've been playing (like 10+ or so) I've never been able to make my left hand move fast enough, so I could never really play lead, as I suck at pulling off solos that require any sort of speed. Plus, my fine motor skills have always been off, so I have trouble doing anything fast with my hands.

8. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

I've been playing since December of 99. And pretty much picked up things here and there on my own.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I am more of a bass guy myself (short, sausage fingers...)

But it was not for lack of trying...

I am getting kinda good a guitar hero though.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Man, I wish I could play an instrument. I'm thinking about taking up harmonica. Or maybe the triangle.

11. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Not much longer than me

12. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

*snickersnicker*

I got a guitar about 2 years ago(a Starcaster by Fender, had I known about its suckiness, I would've gotten the Gibson SG instead) and I'm not that good. I can play a little of Stairway and some other songs, but I'm better at my other instruments(trumpet and piano)

13. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I actually prefer playing rhythm. Never had a desire to shred. The most I've done is the beginning of Sweet Child of Mine. Haha.

14. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Ok I put together a clip from some of the recordings I have on my computer:

Edit - meh

Lots of it was played on a somewhat out of tune guitar and NONE of it is particularly well recorded...or played haha, but yeah

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Nice playing, nice tone. I wish I had the patience to learn to shred all proper like, but every time I pick up the guitar I end up just beating the crap out of it to have fun with.

Been working the past few months to set up my home studio and have a few things to show for it.

My TF movie celebration song which was in my sig here for so long.

And something very different, but with similar sensibilities, the beginnings of my hardcore/metalcore project. Still have a bit to tweak there to get it just right, but I moved up from Garageband to Logic and have learned a lot since the TF song. This was basically a "what's it gonna sound like" thirty second test.

There have to be more people here who record their guitar playing. I'd be curious what other folks here are playing too. It's kind of strange coming across this today, as I was just thinking I should probably pop a thread out here to let my online buddies know why I haven't been around TFW very much.

16. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Lord snabald (Dark Convoy) has bestowed upon us many great guitar recordings Night Flame, haven't you heard any?

That metal riff sounded pretty good. Not sure how it fits in the metalcore/hardcore genres, but it's cool

17. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sime nice playing man. Reminds me of old Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen, with some Alex Scholnik thrown in

I pretty much suck with the solo stuff, but the fast speed metal stuff is my ballpark. Hav'nt played too long, been playing bass for abot 15yrs tho

18. Night Flame

Yes, I have heard some of Dark Convoy's stuff and dug it, though it isn't my usual style for listening. I just figured there's gotta be more than just he and I and LatinJEM777 working on music. With as common a passtime as it is these days and the number of users here? Gotta be more.

And that metalcore/hardcore thing I'm working on? That test riff is just trying to nail down a guitar tone for it over a stock drum rhythm. I'm writing some stuff that, for me anyway, is pretty wild. Getting a tone that's befitting of the stuff I'm writing recorded is tough though. Needs grit, but not so much it turns to flabby fuzz.

19. Ktulu

News Credits:
    You realize I posted a link to some of my guitar playing in the post right before your first one in the thread right? :p 

There's also a link to a myspace account for my electronic music in my sig

20. Night Flame

Oops. I sometimes miss posts right before mine as TFW gives you "last viewed" as the post after yours and you may have posted while I was in the midst of writing.

I'll check it when I get back on my sound enabled system.