TFW2005 Staff Picks Their Favorites From 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    what no animated leader megatron.....in my book best leader class toy since cybertron optimus prime

runner up- universe onslaught

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I said hound! :D 

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    He looks so sweet but I had to rule out anything I don't have yet. :( 

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  4. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    Surprise that there's no love for Prowl, Blusestreak, and or Smokescreen.

My tops for 08

- Animated Leader Megatron
    - Classics Onslaught
    - Universe Prowl
    - Animated Ultimate Battle Optimus
    - Animated Grimlock

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Great Picks. I Agree. I think Universe Hound needed to be in there. He is a great up to date Version of G1 Hound. I like him more than my Binaltec Version.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

The Lambo Bros. The mold is just so versatile. Alternate transformations and custom potential.

7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I agree!

8. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree with all who chose Sunstreaker/Sideswipe as either their favorite toy or as a runner up. The mold is incredibly well designed and does not fail to impress when in hand. This is how any repaint should be done. Genius.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    My list (unfortunately excluding Hound and Cyclonus which would certainly have made the list had I been able to find them :( )

My absolute favorite TF purchase this year was the Botcon '07 Set but that doesn't count since it wasn't from this year. So all that said, there's no real order here for my list:

Universe Prowl/ Silverbluestreak
    Universe Sunstreaker/ Sideswipe
    Universe Onslaught
    Universe Silverbolt
    Universe Acid Storm
    Universe Nemesis Prime
    Universe Dragstrip
    City Commander Armor
    TFTM Landmine
    TFTM Stockade
    TFTM Fracture
    MP Thundercracker

Runners Up:

Universe Octane
    Universe Galvatron
    Universe Ironhide
    Animated Blackarachnia
    Animated Oil Slick
    Animated Grimlock

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I suppose if I was on the staff, I might pick:

* Animated Dinobots (all three)
    * Animated Voyager Optimus Prime
    * Animated Leader Bulkhead
    * Universe Hound
    * Universe Roadbuster (though i'll be getting the Natobot upgrade)
    (special mention for U. Cyclonus)

If I wasn't on staff (which I am not), I'd probably pick the same things.

11. Bravemaximike

Bravemaximike Road Warrior

I agree with 'bout all these picks, and although he isn't my top pick '08 I think someone should mention Animated Blurr! He's righteously cool! in BOTH modes!

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think the Magnus Trailer adds a lot to the funfactor of the toy as well as having the benifit of making him more G1 compliant in Robot mode it is also reminicent of the Dreamwave Comics Magnus due to the way the armor fits around Magnus - I like it too a great deal.

As for the others mentioned I may as well contribute to the zeightgiest.
    Ani-Grimlock - he's OK but he didn't hold my attention for more than a day he's colors are a little to dull in tone - i'd have liked him more with brighter tones and a gun might have been nice. I was a little unimpressed by how much flash I had rto cut off on him too.

Ani-Megatron he's great toy once he's fixed - but is that fair to the under 7's who might not have chance to take him to pieces to fix all his annoying little flaws. ?
    He's great once fixed but does he does deserve to be praised if you still have to fix him ?

Movie Incinerator : My Hasbro one falls to bit whenever you look at it funny - luckily the Takara one I got quite recently does not and looks more Decepticon like in the black color. Nice - if someone makes him some hands and a right-angle joint to reapply the rotors to he'd be better still - He's a little to much trouble to unlock from vehicle mode though and he really is very lacking in weapons - that said I do like him still.

Oil Slick - he's a nice toy but I didn't care for his comic book appearance and it's put me off him since.

FAB Fire Blast Optimus - I like him a lot too - he does need a few color tweaks to him to get him up to full spec but I like his Fire Guts God Ginrai feel.

Animated Swoop - Not a great fan - poor value for money being so small and does not peg together as well as he should.

SDCC - I'd put this in the worst of the year list it's build quality was a joke - missing paint missing screws - scratches - all sorts of faults were all very common on this toy.
    perhaps the worst build quality on a single item of the last 12 months.

Universe Silverbolt - he's alright except both Darkwind and The Japanese one are better.
    His gun is pants, and his sounds and lights are not synched. bit spindly and loose legged too.

I'd probably offer a kind word for the Premium Transformers Barricade in particular has a startling degree of detail I did a double take and a was genuinely impressed that they'd chromed the lettering on his doors. Premium BB is also nice but let down by a poor head mold that is a little undersized. Deep Space Starscream is also an improvement.

I'm not sure if Universe Swerve counts as a 2008 item - I suppose he does He impresed me he's easy to Transform - ties together well - is styled to fit Universe or Movie toys and implements transformational elements other toys have generally just better (like his knees work way better than Sentinel Primes).

Since someone mentioned Botcon - I will say I quite liked the Rodimus as It seemed to me to complement the SDCC Menasor so well.

Henkei Astro Train and USA Edition Powerglide were also worth a mention not because either are the greatest toys ever made - but just because they are both such an improvement over the Hasbro versions.

Looking back I'd say the Crossovers line is slowly showing signs of improving The Hulk and Wolverine were fun, and Star Wars Transformers seem to be slowly getting less flaw ridden than the early ones were. I'm looking forward to Thor, Captain America and the various Clones quite a lot. definately more so than the Animated releases we currently know about.

The problem with 2008 is that to many good toys have been harmed by bad quality control - such as sticky paint and other production flaws.

Looking at Universe / Henkei Ironhide it's almost as if the perfect version of the toy is somewhere in between the two with neither being quite ideal.

Not a bad year all around though - I liked the Shattered Glass toys and Universe was fun, We got an expanded Crossovers theme so that might proove useful again in the future for other themes.

I fear 2009 will be a very Movie/Animated dominated line which may proove a little depressing for those who'd rather had more Universe releases as well/ instead.

I'll remain politely interested if not always 100% excited by Movie/Animated toys. (I do love Activators though - they are total love).

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

All great picks except for Animated Grimlock. Lots of great toys came out this year.

14. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

Twin Twist
    Animated Dinobots: Animated Grimlock, Animated Snarl and Animated Swoop. Asking me to pick which of these incredible molds is my favourite would be like asking me to pick which one of my testicles I prefer.
    [/URL][/QUOTE]

so wait...he says he has three testicles?

15. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    One i dont have is Onslaught and Grimlock want them both
    One i have thoguht was the best was Sunstreaker!!!

16. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    This was my only gripe this year. While I didn't some of the major problems, it was enough to irritate me. Other than that, great figures and great year! I probably spent around 4 to 500. <===Ouch but well worth my haul. ;) 

Luckily, and sadly, this is where I fall. I'll save some money, but won't picking much up. Hopefully some of the movies toys are irresistable enough to pick up.

17. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I only agree with Razorwire and Soundwave.ca for the top picks. E-hobby Guardian is too limited to be considered and the other toys mentionned are just ok to me. My top picks:

-City Commander
    -Movie Battle Mode Optimus Prime (Takara)
    -Henkei Ironhide
    -Henkei Hound/Ravage
    -Animated Leader Ultra Magnus
    -Animated DLX Sentinel Prime
    -Animated DLX Optimus Prime (Cybertron)

18. Foster

News Credits:
    E-Hobby Guardian isn't any more limited than the Magnus trailer, is it?

19. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Guardian is over twice the price and probably twice as hard to find.

20. Foster

News Credits:
    Huh, wow. I preordered them both, didn't realize the current scarcity of the Guardian. I guess he will indeed be the next E-Hobby Astrotrain!