TFW2005 Staff Picks Their Favorites From 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Razerwire
    Custom Classics Ultra Magnus Trailer: It made what was an already solid toy in Classics Ultra Magnus into an absolute must have. The craftsmanship that went into the trailer is easily on par with any factory manufactured item we have seen.

Runners Up: Animated Shockwave, Animated Grimlock, Animated Snarl and Animated Swoop and Animated Ultra Magnus.

Drew Eiden
    Piranacon: I wasn't knocking down the doors for a shot at owning the Universe Seacons, I assure you. When I picked up this set I wasn't exactly sold on them; but as it turns out I've never had as much with such simplicity. The idea of 6 robots combining into one humongous robot is always fun, no matter who you are. The paint applications bring out some great mold detailing... and all the Alt-Modes are pure win even if the robot modes suffer. My pick last year went to the Optimus Prime Talking Helmet and this pick is in the same vein: it's nostalgic and fun for everyone!

Runners Up: Animated Grimlock, Animated Leader Class Megatron, Movie Incinerator, Movie Fast Action Battlers Fire Blast Optimus Prime

Buzzbeak
    Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe: I’m putting these two together as my top pick because this is the best use of repainting I think I have ever seen. With a little planning they where able to use one mold and get two bodies out of it that look different enough that at a glance you might not tell that they are (out side of there heads) the same mold. I have to applaud the designers of these figures for putting the thought and planning into doing a transformation that lets you put the roof on the chest paying clear homage to the G1 Sunstreaker and the hood on the chest for Sideswipe The argument can be made that by giving then different heads it’s not a true repaint but my point is how they used the rest of the body.

Runners up: Animated Oil Slick, Animated Swoop, Universe Inferno, Animated Ultra Magnus.

Sol Fury
    Animated Grimlock: Me Grimlock! This version of Grimlock is a worthy update of the original Generation 1 toy - everything that was cool about the original is present here, with more articulation. The updated Animated styling just makes the character even cooler, in my opinion, as it adds a lot of personality to all the toys in the line and Grimlock is no exception. His accessory - a huge fire sword - is the icing on the cake, and his chomping jaws gimmick is excellent fun. I have nothing but praise for this toy who is worth adding to any collection, whether you are a casual fan or a collector of 20+ years.

Runners up: SDCC Skywarp, Universe Silverbolt, Animated Leader Megatron, Shattered Glass Ricochet

Soundwave.ca
    07 Movie Premium Optimus Prime (Japanese version): - What's old is new again. Having this mold being one of my favorites of 2007 Takara/Tomy has managed to outdo themselves yet again. Sporting a new gorgeous chrome finish and an outstanding remolded head this toy has cemented itself as one of my all time favorites and is my pick as the #1 release of 2008.

Runners Up: Masterpiece Thundercracker, Henkei Megatron, Henkei Skywarp, Encore Omega Supreme

FreshDebesh
    Universe Cyclonus: The sleek and awesome Unicronian product gets an updated toy in the Universe line and it really lives up to its description! Even though it was released in the tail end of 2008, it was worth the wait. An excellent proportioned figure, G1 toy accurate colors, and looks just like the cartoon model (wings folded out, raised cockpit). It truly is a joygasm for all G1 Cyclonus fan boys. Or for those of you who like Transformers with bunny ears.

Runners Up: Universe Silverstreak, Animated Voyager Bulkhead, Universe Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, Animated Swoop

XJunky
    Universe Classics 2.0 Onslaught: This is a fantastic update to the G1 toy. It stays true to the original look while giving it a modern vehicle mode and the supah-awesome articulation from the Classics line we have come to know and love. All this makes it a must for both modern Transformers fans and G1 enthusiasts!

Runners Up: TFX-01 City Commander Armor, Universe Deluxe Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, Animated Voyager Bulkhead, Animated Voyager Grimlock.

Twin Twist
    Animated Dinobots: Animated Grimlock, Animated Snarl and Animated Swoop. Asking me to pick which of these incredible molds is my favourite would be like asking me to pick which one of my testicles I prefer. All three are amazing updates and homages to their 1980's counterparts. All of them are wonderfully realised, pack in loads of character and are really fun toys to boot.

Runners Up: Universe 2.0 Sunstreaker and Sideswipe. Genius.

fosterlager
    Universe Ultra Onslaught: Back in 1986, I was OBSESSED with the Combaticons. They were the first combiner team I completed. And their leader, Onslaught, was my favorite of them all due to his fantastic truck mode, articulated (for '86) robot mode and military tactician talents. All of these great features are made even better in the Universe Ultra Onslaught. A great character from the past, updated for today!

Runners up: Henkei Powerglide, Cybertron Urban Defense Robot Gadep (a.k.a. e-Hobby Guardian), Henkei Sunstreaker, Universe Ratbat, Animated Voyager Grimlock

Boardwise
    Universe Sunstreaker and Sideswipe: Or as they are more commonly known, 'How to get the most out of a mold'. Sunstreaker and Sideswipe are the perfect example of how one mold, with a few tweaks and turns can become a completely different character and are a perfect update to the old G1 brothers. Now if they'd just do a Punch/Counter-Punch repaint...

Runners up: TFX-01 City Commander Armor, Universe Hound, Universe Cyclonus, Animated Leader Megatron, Animated Dinobots.

Cataclizm1
    Encore Omega Supreme: When I was younger I never had the chance to buy any of the G1 city bots. Well that all changed this year with the release of not only Encore Metroplex, but also Encore Omega Supreme! This motorized delight is a toy I lusted for as a wee lad and it's great to have a minty reissue in my collection now. Plus the new face was a nice touch, and you could even remove it too if you were so inclined. :) 

Runners up: Encore Metroplex, Animated Voyager Optimus Prime, Universe Sunstreaker, Fansproject City Commander, Animated Voyager Grimlock, Marvel Crossovers Wolverine, Animated leader Ultra Magnus, Universe Hound w/ Ravage, Universe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick

Super_Megatron
    Cybertron Urban Defense Robot Gadep (a.k.a. e-Hobby Guardian): A repaint of a toy I wish I had as a kid, then wish they had created as a collector of Generation 1 toys finally emerges as a wonderfully executed tribute to G1. I'm a slave to E-Hobby repaints.

Runners up: Universe Cyclonus, Universe Sunstreaker, Universe Silverbolt, Henkei Megatron

superquad7
    Universe 2.0 Cyclonus w/ Nightstick: It’s been a great year to be a Transformers fan! So many cool toys to choose from makes picking one tough, but I highly anticipated this figure since the first announcement. Cyclonus exhibits a very unique transformation, the overall design in both modes flows really well, and Nightstick parallels everything awesome in Cyclonus as well. Universe 2.0 updated many fan-favorite Transformers toys well, but Cyclonus edges out some of my other favorites with all of his coolness.

Runners up: TF Club MP EX-002 Battle Rollar; TFX-01 City Commander Armor; Universe 2.0 Silverstreak; and Animated Ultra Magnus.

REDLINE
    Universe Cyclonus w/ Nightstick - I have to say that I feel compelled to mention Silverbolt and Onslaught, because those two figures really deserve some love, as they're both amazing in their own ways, but I can't simply list every toy I like on a list like this. I'm not even a character fan of Cyclonus (I was upset at losing my Seekers as a kid thanks to the movie) but this toy is so smartly designed, thta I love it anyway. The splitting shins, the moving chest, and the fact the robot mode has NO kibble is just wonderful. To top it off, Nightstick, his Powermaster, is nearly fully articulated, and he's a minicon!

Runners-up: Universe Sideswipe; Henkei Astrotrain; Universe Hound w/ Ravage; Universe Silverstreak; and Universe Tankor.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2008
  2. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    So many of those I don't have yet... Well. Now I know what to get. Soundwave.ca might have convinced me that the Japanese Premium Series might be the one movie Optimus I should get.

Good job with the list, although, no pity vote for Soundwave? He comes with a Laserbeak Flying V!!! :D 

3. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are some pretty good picks there, and a few shockers too. City Commander armor, Cyclonus, Onslaught, Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, TFA: Grimlock, were all things I expected to see. Encore Omega Supreme, e-Hobby Gaurdian, and Piranacon were unexpected. Japanese Premium Movie Optimus Prime was the ultimate shocker though, but to each is own.

4. paco608

paco608 uber-cool guitarist dude

my fave was 25th optimus prime :) 

5. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Animated Shockwave. The fact that he has four modes already sold me. :D 

6. Novatron

Novatron Me

Either TFA Shockwave or TFA Ultra Magnus.

7. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All great picks in my book, My fav is Encore Omega Supreme or Trailbreaker.

EDIT: Just got Universe Cyclonus and he's my favorite of 2008.

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Onslaught ftw

9. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Onslaught, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Cyclonus, Henkei Megs, ANimated Grimlock, these are all solid choices. I'm glad they got recognized. Can't wait to see what next year brings!

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Of 2008 for me would have to be Universe Cyclonus and Hound!

11. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay! I'm glad tat the Fansproject City Commander is mentioned several times by the staffs. despite not being an official product, it really lives up to it's hype.

12. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

wow.. this is tough. there were so many great figures this year, if i had 2 pick my top 3 from each line, it would be animated soundwave, animated grimlock, and animated oil slick. all awesome molds. great articulation. from universe, it would be ironhide, tread bolt, and onslaught. all very awesome molds. and from the movie toys that came out this year, it would be jungle bonecrusher, incinerator, and deep desert brawl. all very awesome molds. this year was a great year 4 transformers. and next year will be even better!!!!

ALL HAIL LORD HIGH PROTECTOR MEGATRON!!!!!:thumbs2: :bay :thumbs2: 
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: 

13. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    WOW it wasn't surprising to see Universe Cyclonus, Sunstreaker, and Sideswipe, and Animated Grimlock make the cut but, it is surprising to see them make so many of the lists.

It seems like those three molds were the top figures on almost everyone's list.

14. FeiZai

FeiZai An Internet White Knight

awesomest TF of the year would DEFINITELY be the Fansproject Ultra Magnus trailer.
    it appeals to both G1 fans and newer fans alike, and has ZERO kibble.

to quote a friend of mine: "he looks more G1 than G1 Magnus!"

and of course, who could argue with a gun that big?

15. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Definitely agree with all the Sunstreaker/Sideswipe love, possibly the best deluxe mold(s) ever. Although Cyclonus is sitting behind me in an unopened HTS box, so that opinion may change...

...but Animated Grimlock? really???

16. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Omega Supreme - king of transformers.

17. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I agree with City Commander, the twins and Cyclonus, but where's Hound?

18. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    For my pennyworth, couldn't agree more on Sunstreaker. Hopefully the popularity of Sunstreaker sends Hasbro the message that that's the acceptable level of engineering for toys of that size... it's a great piece of work and a cool toy, it's like the ideal Alt/BT. If it had jointed hands it'd be perfect :)  The folks that designed him should get a bonus. More like that please, mister toymaker.

19. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't disagree with any of the stuff listed. So many great toys it is tough to choose a favorite. I much prefer the G1 seacons over the new ones though.

One of my favorites that I didn't see mentioned anywhere was Universe Prowl and Silverstreak. That mold never seemed to get much love but the ones I picked up were both well put together and definitely among my favorites from the line. Can't wait for Smokescreen to join the team.

20. antapp

antapp Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Universe Cyclonus & Universe Hound w/Ravage