TFW2005 Staff Picks Their Favorites From 2007

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deefuzz, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Those are some good choices. 2007 was such a unique year with so many categories, having to decide make mah brain hurt

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I gotta give some love for Wreckage. He is only a deluxe, but I love the design.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Megatron and Music Label toys? Can't say I agree with these at all. Leader Class Brawl was a great pic though. I would have said Leader Prime with the runner up being Leader Brawl. Not that I am crazy about only the larger figures but they just both really impress.

4. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    So much love for MP-5 Megatron, and I was very disappointed by it.

I've read how MP-3 Starscream is fragile, breaks easy and all that, but I haven't had any problems with Starscream, Skywarp and Greenscream, and I've transformed all three several times.

MP-5 I transformed twice, didn't gave me a solid looking alt mode (MP-3 does) and worst of all, one of the tabs from the leg pieces broke-off.

Guess I was lucky with the jets, but unlucky with the gun.

QFT. One of my favorite movie toys.

My thoughts exactly.

:lol 

But SDCC Alt Rodimus was mentioned.

Hmm... perhaps we should start a club. :p 

Yes he did.

My picks would've been:

Winner: Movie Leader Optimus Prime
    Runners-Up: Movie Deluxe CC Bumblebee, Movie Deluxe Dropkick, Movie Voyager Ratchet, BC07 Thrust

I'm not counting MP-6, Hasbro's MP Starscream or SDCC Alt Rodimus because they're based on older molds. Thrust had new pieces. :D 

-airfox

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Actually, I think you may be hitting something here. I think my main point of disagreement with many of the "main" winners is the size factor, since size tends to lead to higher cost and/or complexity. 1) Expensive toys are a turn-off to start with, although I certainly do make exceptions for exceptional toys (i.e. the BotCon set). 2) The complexity factor for a lot of these seems beyond what I'm wanting to deal with. Most of the "winning" entries fail on both levels for me.

But I understand that, for a lot of folks (the staff members apparently fall into this category) size and complexity are the very things they WANT in a Transformer. So it's no surprise then that my opinion differs rather markedly.

My choices for this year: Winner: BotCon Alpha Trion

Honorable mention: Best Buy Ratchet (the only mainstream movie toy I've picked up yet), BotCon Thrust, Pepsi Prime

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    MP-5 would've gotten my vote too, and I don't even have the JustiToys upgrade kit.

7. Ashstar

Ashstar Liberator of Toys

News Credits:
    Great to see some love for leader Brawl, Ironhide and even Longarm! :rock 

MP-05 sure made it to the top for most of our dear mods, not surprised as being someone who grew up with G1 this has finally done the name some much adue justice.

8. pud333

pud333 Well-Known Member

Some great choices. Personally gotta give it up to CC BB. While I think other figures are more impressive, I keep going back to this little guy, and that's what makes it a favorite for me: replay value.:rock 

9. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I wish I remembered exactly when Classics shipped (last fall? winter?), so I'd have a better idea of what qualifies and what doesn't.

Not that it matters much. My personal pick for best of 2007 is Spy Shot 6. The entire Real Gear line is full of win, but this guy has a particularly ingenious transformation, AND he's super-posable. He's a modern Reflector without the goofy purple and green (which, BTW, I still can't get over people wanting. Um, what cameras have shipped in purple and green ... ever? Besides the throwaway kind?)

Runners-Up: CC 08 Bumblebee, Movie Leader Prime, Movie Voyager Ironhide, Movie Deluxe Dropkick. Yes, the Movie toys won me over big-time, but that doesn't mean I didn't love Classics Wave 1. I just can't remember when it shipped. The subsequent waves ... not as much.

MP-05 Megatron deserves a mention for the ridiculous amounts of ingenuity that went into it. Too bad none of that engineering went into making him not snap like a twig, or "rust". Hasbro's Masterpiece Starscream repaint is impressive for proving that paint really does sell a mold ... and equally impressive for proving that it doesn't make it any less fragile or kibbly. They should seriously bundle him with a Dremel, just on principle.

-XCN-

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I may as well throw my favorites of the year out...cause like, I can.

Leader Class: Brawl

Runner-up: Prime

Voyager: Ratchet

Runner-up: Starscream

Deluxe: Dropkick

Runner-up: Barricade and Classic (don't have the Concept) Camaro Bumblebee

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Hey, I gave leader prime some love. I love a lot more toys that I listed, all a whole lot too, but I had to draw a line SOMEwhere, they wouldn't let me have a list that long. There were so many differen't TFs released this last year!

I also couldn't in fairness list a toy if I don't actually own it, so that ruled out MP3 Soundwave right off the bat. :( 

MOST of classics shipped end of 06, but a few came out in 07. and for the record, my MP-05 isn't broken, leaning, loose, or rusting anywhere, at all. :D 

12. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    He got some runner-up love from Deefuzz. As for my opinion of him, see below.

Same with mine. And I don't have any problems with my US MP Screamer, either. I must be lucky (year of the rabbit and all).

My picks for 2007:
    Winner: ML Soundwave. What can I say? He's been my favorite character since day one and this was an awesome update that (finally) brought him into the 21st century.

Runners up: MP Megatron, US MP Starscream, Death Star Darth Vader, Concept BB.

13. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

It pains me to see so much mentioning of MP Megatron...damn Aussie toy laws! He will never be mine! My choices for the year (by size class) are:

Leader Class: Brawl

Runner up: Prime

Voyager: Ironhide

Runner up: Ratchet

Deluxe: Landmine

Runners up: Concept BB, Longarm, Payload

Real Gear: High Score 100

Runners up: Meantime, Longview, Booster

2008 is gonna be fun, that's for sure!

14. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I just would like to add on the reason I had Movie Longarm listed in my Runners up.

15. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Well, it's not like it's a bad figure by any means... It made my list (see the other thread) for the same reason, though. The BFG was just icing on the cake.

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I'm not saying it's a bad figure, I just personally don't like the overall Ascetic that that line has.

17. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'm not saying you called it a bad figure. IMO, it deserved a spot on the runners-up list, regardless of whether or not it said Orson's Towing on the side. That just sweetened the deal.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I just realized how difficult it will be to pick for this year (2008)...since we have some stragglers in the movie line (the allspark figures), the animated line (which looks absolutely amazing), and universe/classics 2.0

Daaaaaaamn

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, I must be the only person on earth who truly loved Rijie. :lol 

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't have one :(