TFW2005 Staff Picks Their Favorites From 2007

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deefuzz, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Razerwire:
    Binaltech 18 Rijie - My pick of the year would have to be Binal Tech 18 Rijie.

I've always loved translucent Transformers and this one takes the cake. TakaraTOMY simply outdid itself with it.

It managed to pull of all of the translucency without shortchanging anything in the process. Possibly the best display piece that I can think of in my Binal Tech/Alternators collection.

Runners Up: Masterpiece Megatron, Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream, BotCon Thundercracker, BotCon Thrust

RHansen:
    Masterpiece Skywarp - They took an amazing mold, threw on the sexiest of paint schemes, and called it a day. How can one complain? The jet mode is sleek and near flawless while the bot mode is, in my opinion, a near perfect upgrade of the seekers bot mode.

Runners Up: Camaro Concept Bumblebee, BotCon Classics Clear Mirage, Masterpiece Megatron

REDLINE:
    Masterpiece Megatron MP-05 - When I first laid eyes on the first images of this figure, I was absolutely giddy. And I rarely get giddy. Every since the first Masterpiece, Optimus Prime, was released and my dream had come true to have "the perfect upgrade of the originals", I'd been pining for Megatron to get the same treatment. He had nowhere near the diecast that Prime does, but the add-on parts from Justitoys take care of that. The engineering on this figure truly is a marvel. Mine still stands up perfectly straight, and stands proud on top of my computer desk's hutch!

Runners Up: Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream, BotCon Thrust, Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime, THS 02b, Alternators Ravage 2.0

FreshDebesh:
    Masterpiece Skywarp - Great colors, great detail, sinister teeth clenching. Can't beat it.

Runners Up: Camaro Concept Bumblebee, SDCC Exclusive Alternators Rodimus, Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime, Rescue Ratchet

Shin-Gouki:
    Masterpiece Megatron MP-05 - While giving this subject serious consideration I realised that I had a Tie. So I then looked the the two Finalists and decided to look at their Flaws. In the end US Masterpiece Starscream lost out due to the waist Kibble.

My choice this year is MP-05, Masterpiece Megatron. This is as close to how I have envisioned Megatron since I was a child that I will ever hold in my hands. While yes he is a bit on the Over Sized side in Gun Mode, and he is missing his attachments (Easily fixed thanks to the Upgrade kit) he is pure gold. When I was a kid and there after I loved the character of Megatron, I also loved his Gun mode, his Robot mode on the other hand let's just say that left a lot to be desired. This figure brilliantly solves that problem. This is a Masterpiece Worthy of the name Megatron.

Runners Up: Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream, BotCon Thrust, Transformers Movie Longarm

Kickback:
    Masterpiece Megatron MP-05 - After waiting over 20 years, there is finally a Megatron toy worthy of holding the name (no offense to RID Megatron and Cyb Megatron). If you can get past the (cosmic?!?!?!) rusting of the feet, the fact his head seems permanently glued in place, and the annoyance of getting it through customs, it's a really solid toy. Nothing else this year stood out (Masterpiece Skywarp and Hasbro's Masterpiece Starscream are close), as well as Leader size Movie Prime, but Masterpiece Megatron is the culmination of what people have been wanting since Masterpiece Optimus Prime and the Alternators/Binaltech figures were released.

Soundwave.ca:
    Movie Voyager Ironhide – With 2007 being a watershed year for the Transformers franchise with the release of the live action film it is therefore appropriate that my pick of the year happens to be from the movie line. Ironhide is a toy that I can honestly say with the emergence of the early test shots and images I fell in love with from the very beginning. I liked this toy so much so that it also became the first toy in which I actually bought the test shot months ahead of its mass retail release. I was not to be disappointed either, with a great vehicle & robot mode, awesome articulation, lots of firepower, and an overall badass look made this toy instent love. For me like all great toys what made Ironhide stand out from the class of 2007 is I like him just as much now from when I first got him, which makes Movie Voyager Class Ironhide my top pick for 07.

Runners Up: Masterpiece Skywarp, Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime, Binaltech Rijie, Lawson’s Exclusive Metallic Movie Bubmlebee

Sol Fury:
    Movie Leader Class Brawl - it's been tough picking my favourites from this year, because of the landslide of new Transformers product coming out. But Brawl particularly caught my imagination. He's a huge tank Decepticon, suitably in scale and looking awesome as a war machine. The lights and sounds are fun and remind me of the Generation 2 Megatron, who had similar effects. The transformation is satisfying too, producing a very convincing tank mode and also an excellent robot mode.

Runner Ups: Masterpiece Megatron, Real Gear Meantime, Transformers Movie Longarm, Takara Beast Wars reissue Wolfang

Boardwise:
    Concept Camaro Bumblebee
    I liked of Bumblebee before he was famous, and there has always been a place in my heart for that little yellow Volkswagen Beetle, however when the news came down that he was to be in the new movie with a update I was sceptical, but upon seeing the images of the '78 Camaro I was blown away. However the figure for the '78 Camaro had some flaws, but when images surfaced of the Concept Camaro I was happy as it looked like they had sorted Bumblebee out with a proper figure. When I finally got my hands on one I was impressed with the design of it and as such he is my top pick for 2007.

Runners Up: RoboVision Optimus Prime, SDCC Exclusive Alternators Rodimus, BotCon Classic Thrust, Masterpiece Megatron

Deefuzz:
    Sports Label Optimus Prime and Megatron – 2007 was a very difficult year to pick a top 5, let alone a top pick for the year. There was so much new stuff to get our hands on, and some of it was radically new ideas which we never quite seen before. Never would I thought that I would be interested in a Nike shoe that transforms into a robot, but as soon as I saw the prototype images I knew I had to have them. The Sports Label line is a nice fusion of two cultures: the Transformers collecting culture, and the shoe culture (or sneakerphiles). Being someone who takes part in both cultures makes this item a little easier to accept, but it was not something that was going to become a popular item. The designs were clever and the packaging was superb. This probably wont be a popular choice, but I have to stand behind this bold cross-branding venture by Takara and Nike, and hope to see more in the future.

Runners Up: Movie Voyager Ironhide, Masterpiece Skywarp, Music Label Soundwave, Movie Leader Class Optimus Prime

Drew Eiden:
    Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet - It's awesome. I mean besides the fact that a) it fits on just about anyone's head and b) it's looks enough like G1 Prime to make everybody happy well, then check out c) Peter's Cullen voice! I grew up on "I am Optimus Prime!" from the G2 incarnation with the talking box. This... this took it to a whole new level for me. I wore it faithfully to the IMAX premiere. I made the transforming sound out of nowhere and talked like a robot about things like football and college. The voice changer helmet has transcended the ranks of my collection into something that I can just have fun with!

Runners Up: BotCon Alpha Trion, Alternators Jaguar Ravage, Classics Skywarp and Classics Ultra Magnus

2. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I can't believe Bonecrusher didn't even make Runners-Up for any of you. FOR SHAME.:duel 

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Hands down the classics seekers were all ties for my first place - especially the Botcon exclusives (even though they cost me an arm and a leg).

Honorable mentions: MP Megatron (only after I got the accessory kit), the Encore series, and (bash me all you want) but the KO Mirage is very well built and a lot like the original - even though it's not original or licensed it's still a good toy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  4. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I got to give it to Leader Brawl. Pretty sweet toy.

5. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Indeed, NONE of the choices that made the list (not counting runners-up) were even toys I bought, nor had any desire to buy....

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very good choices.

Though I'm sort of surprised that movie dropkick wasn't mentioned at least as a runner up. I fell in love with the design from the first time I transformed it. For me Dropkick has the most inventive transformation that I've seen in a transformer pickup. Plus you don't have to worry about lots of panels popping off (MP Megatron) or breaking the toy by simply transforming it (yeah Im looking at you MP Starscream).

7. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Oh, I thought you guys were all going to pick me as your favorites. Way to bring a brotha down a notch. :lol 

Seriously, nice list, guys. Out of all the ones mentioned, I think MP Skywarp was my favorite.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Good to see some Leader Brawl love...and the amount of lovin' for MP05 definitely is helping me want him moreso than before.

9. KanedaX

KanedaX Twitchy Triggerbot

Ebay:
    Awww, only one love for Movie Ratchet? I thought he was the best figure of the line, paint job aside.

10. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved Rescue Ratchet bought him the first time I saw him... of course it was to give to my brother but still I thought it was a very cool toy once I saw it out of the package. Veryyyyy articulated, heavy and fun. I would've put it on my honorable mentions but the other three were just a step ahead.

11. Glitch

Glitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also love movie Ratchet. It's perhaps my favorite movie figure (Concept Bumblebee is the closest competition).

Ratchet is solid as a tank, has FANTASTIC articulation, a really fun, easy and original transformation, it's extremely convincing in both vehicle and robot mode, and is the perfect size.

I also like how the rack can be attached to the back to give it "wings." Attaching it to the arm is lame.

I can't believe Masterpiece Megatron is getting this much love. Personally, I thought it was a out of scale, overly complicated and fragile mess.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    nice picks everyone, so many great toys this past year.

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    No mention of Alternators Rodimus and Leader Prime didnt win? That means either the rating system was whack or there were too many good TFs this year.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Good picks! I was surprised no mention of MP3 Soundwave. He sucks as an mp3 player but is an amazing new rendition of Soundwave. It is good to know the mods have good taste! :D 

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Pretty much my thoughts on him. He definitely has his good points, but he is just such a PAIN to transform. He's just not much FUN, and that's what really counts to me. Masterpiece Starscream is MUCH better, IMO.

Anyways, my fav from this year is Deluxe Bonecrusher, in case it wasn't obvious from my previous post. Runners up are Masterpiece Starscream, Deluxe '08 Bumblebee, Voyager Class Movie Prime, Botcon Springer, & Voyager Ironhide.

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    good choices. my favorite from this year is easily Concept BB.

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too, am surprised that the MP3 Soundwave saw no love on the list, but I can see why with MP Megatron. Tho a lot of mention went to the US MP Starscream when the only difference from the older one was the paint.

There were over 200 new TF's released last year just in the US alone. (yikes) We haven't had a year that big since '04. It was a wild ride for those of us who are completists. That said, my fav would have to be Movie Dropkick. It was just that cool of a toy for me. (the fact I like trucks could also play a part)

So what are the chances for a TFW 2005 Board wide vote for the best of '07?

18. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great choices TFW2005, MP Megatron is on my wish list, I can't wait to own him. Hasbro MP Starscream is a great toy, I own both Takara and Hasbro's versions, but you have to be very careful with his arms when transforming. I broke my Takara one. Nooooo! Can I get a new shoulder part?

My fav of the year has to be Concept Bumblebee Deluxe or Leader Optimus Prime.

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Only big surprise for me is the Nike/Sports Labels. Even if one liked the design those things really seemed to be total garbage production-wise. They are also tiny compared to what pics make them seem like.

One I'm somewhat surprised but happy made a #1 is voyager Ironhide, nice pick SW.ca! He was my favourite movie figure, and balances features like both modes, transformation, articulation, coolness and functionality of weapon, colour scheme, etc.

I just got MP05 Megs yesterday (and transformed it in about an hour and a bit last night) and I'm seeing both the ups and the downs of him. So far I'm really liking him but he is a bit skeleton leggy, but moreso transforming him definately makes you feel like you're going to break him. The way the one central swivel piece takes the whole figure's weight pretty much through the entire transformation is moocho-ridiculouso.

20. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I totally forgot to do this. Mine would have been Optimash Prime. He came out in 2007, didn't he?